Daniel Trask

TJQ

Just got this in, I know it will interest some of our members.

Ontario Provincial Police News Portal [TEMISKAMING] OPP INVESTIGATE FOUND HUMAN REMAINS 2015-05-28

(CITY OF TEMISKAMING SHORES, ON) - The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Temiskaming detachment, under the direction of Acting Detective Inspector Mark Zulinski of the OPP Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB), is investigating found human remains near Lady Evelyn Lake in Medina Township following a call received on May 25, 2015 shortly before 6:00 p.m.

At this time, the Temiskaming Crime Unit, the Emergency Response Team (ERT), the Underwater Search and Recovery Unit (USRU), the Forensic Identification Unit (FIS), and Office of the Chief Coroner are assisting with this ongoing investigation.

The remains were sent to the North East Region Forensic Pathology Unit for examination and have been positively identified as Daniel Robert TRASK of Kitchener Ontario who had been reported missing in November of 2011. At the time of his disappearance, he was 28 years old.

The OPP will provide further information as it becomes available.

Exhale...........

I used to imagine that Daniel was doing exactly what he wanted. His dream to live among the wild. of course, I didn't drift too far from the reality of his likely fate but, it was cool to think that this person could be doing what so many dream of. No cell phone. No job. No bills. No drama. Existence only known to God.

Rest in peace Daniel

And may the peace of closure come to the Trask family

Thank you for posting TJ

Really feel for the family, can't imagine what they've been through and glad it's finally coming to an end. This story kind of reminds me of a book I read, "Into the Wild". True story and unfortunately things didn't end well for that young man either.

Exhale...........

I used to imagine that Daniel was doing exactly what he wanted. His dream to live among the wild. of course, I didn't drift too far from the reality of his likely fate but, it was cool to think that this person could be doing what so many dream of. No cell phone. No job. No bills. No drama. Existence only known to God.

Rest in peace Daniel

Thank you for posting TJ

That sums up my thoughts quite nicely.

Im glad the family finally has closure. They didnt give up hope all those years. Ii followed it from the start.

S.

Exhale...........

Rest in peace Daniel

Thank you for posting TJ

well said. My condolences.

Thank goodness the family finally has some closure. So far they feel that he succumbed to exposure after a fall

http://www.nugget.ca/2015/05/28/remains-of-missing-kitchener-man-found

Maureen Trask was never going to quit looking for her son.

She knew the outcome wouldn't be good, but that didn't matter. She wanted his remains. She wanted to bring him home.

Trask said her son's skull was found by the Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue Volunteer team Sunday near the east shore of Lady Evelyn near Walsh Lake.

The remains were sent by Ontario Provincial Police to the North East Region Forensic Pathology Unit for examination and have been positively identified as Daniel Robert Trask of Kitchener.

“This was what we were here to find,” Trask told The Nugget in a telephone interview Thursday afternoon from Lady Evelyn. “We suspect he fell and suffered a fracture, but the cause of death is still inconclusive.”

Trask said a rib bone was found yesterday, however it's unclear if the bone is human or animal.

“The bone is being sent away to be tested,” she said. “We're just guessing right now. We can only anticipate what Daniel did his last day.”

Trask said the Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue are assisting the Ontario Provincial Police in the search for more of Daniel's remains and other clothing.

She said the search is happening both in the water and on land.

Daniel Trask was reported missing in November 2011. His car was found on Red Squirrel Road near Camp Wanapitei at Ferguson Bay after he was reported missing.

At the time of his disappearance he was 28-years-old.

The discovery was found during an extensive search organized by the family. Search teams arrived May 21 and were expecting to remain in the Temagami area until May 31.

The Trask family also arranged for two certified cadaver dogs from the Ottawa Valley SAR Dog Association to be up there for three days.

In 2013, the Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue Volunteer team had located Daniel's backpack. It was found about five kilometers north of where his winter jacket and snow pants were found in May 2012.

The Trask family have organized countless trips to Temagami to find Daniel.

Daniel, who also went by Dan or Danny, spent his summers canoeing in Temagami and returned to the area for the Changing of the Seasons, a native celebration.

Edited by Musky or Specks

I think it is an amazing story with such a sad ending.

A lot of us dream of doing what he did...but he did it. What a brave young man. A reminder that the north is not an easy place to be and that doing something like he did is serious business.

I respect him very much for his goal, but am saddened that his family had this loss.

R.I.P

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Trask family. Since reading about this story a few years ago here on OFC I have tried to follow it throughout these past years. The strength and determination showed by Mr. and Mrs. Trask is the kind of story that make the NY Times best sellers list and a Hollywood movie. I would be amazed if this tragedy and inspirational story of the Trask family and all the determined volunteers doesn't make it to the big screen some day.

The Trask family also arranged for two certified cadaver dogs from the Ottawa Valley SAR Dog Association to be up there for three days.

The Volunteers in the Ottawa Valley SAR Dog Association, and the Michigan Back Country SAR are amazing. I've worked with them many times in the past, and it doesn't surprise me that they where the ones to find his remains.

These people dedicate their entire lives to training these dogs to do exactly this. Find remains, and help grieving families. Kudos to them, for taking time out of their normal lives to go help search for Daniel, and actually getting the results they where looking for. I'm sure the K9 handlers/Searchers after searching for 10 days, could barely walk after. It's not an easy job, and they don't get paid a cent for it.

Edited by N.A.W