Retirement

Mr.Topwater!

Tried that once, retirement that is. Lasted for about six months, all my friends were still working so fishing or hunting during the week trips were mostly solo. Then I got bored, oh I had plenty to do, the Honey Do list was never ending and there was always something that needed fixing. My problem was that I had been working since I was 15 and I wasn't use to not having a reason to get up and go.

Tried a few things; consultant for a Small Business Development program, did some marketing and sales stuff, went back to school and got my license as a small engine technician, just couldn't find the right niche. A little over a year ago I saw an add for a part time truck driver and thought "why not?" I had driven trucks when I got out of the army..... so I applied, then I got the job!

The company and people I work for are fantastic, I am not full time but I can get 40+ hours most weeks if I wanted it. I enjoy the getting out and meeting people, going places, doing things, and most of all feeling useful. Things are going so well that they even added a new five ton truck to the fleet for me and I love it!

I wish you well in your retirement, I guess it just means different things to different people!

I retired when I was 53 and have loved every minute of it. My wife and I do what ever the heck we want, when we want, and we don't have to answer to anyone. If we decide on the spur of the moment to take a trip or book a cabin up north we just pack a bag and go.

I saw too many buds and family die before they retired and I sure as heck wasn't gonna be one of them.

I just wish there were enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

Life is GREAT !!!

I retired when I was 53 and have loved every minute of it. My wife and I do what ever the heck we want, when we want, and we don't have to answer to anyone. If we decide on the spur of the moment to take a trip or book a cabin up north we just pack a bag and go.

I saw too many buds and family die before they retired and I sure as heck wasn't gonna be one of them.

I just wish there were enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

Life is GREAT !!!

That will be me in 21 months and counting - for exactly the same reason!

Life is GREAT !!!

The exact same for me. Been retired for 5 and a half years now. No regrets.

Edited by Old Man

Good for you, congrats. Not having to get called into the plant on Christmas Eve I don't miss. But to say I didn't miss the action is a lie. I took my pension very early, 45, 25 years and out in the Ironmaking division sure helped. I've had more careers in the last 15 years than the first 30 of working. It's a big world out there, enjoy it, and be healthy. Actually got my first CPP payment last week, whoar rah.

the joke for me was they wanted to give me a watch.. I told them keep it. to this day my time is my own. no clock,no days . I do when/where I want.. that's the freedom to me..

never did finger out that watch thing though.lol

If you ever decide you'd like a watch George, I'll fix you up. I got one after 25 years and another one after 30 years. Guess they figured I was getting old and forgot where I put the 1st one :lol:

Was self employed and thought I'd never retire. Planned to be at work about 20+ hours a week for about 40 weeks a year, but the person I left in charge started following the same schedule I had for myself, even though the person was paid a decent salary, a nice production bonus and a sweetheart profit sharing deal.

At age 76 1/2, I figured out that it wasn't working. December 9, 2010, I decided to sell, made one phone call and had a cashier's check in my hands December 31, 2010. It's fully invested and working hard for me, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I had never looked forward to retirement or made plans for retirement. When it was time, I just did it. Made the decision in about an hour. Made the announcement to my employees and offered them an opportunity to purchase. Gave them overnight to decide.

No regrets.

To work after retirement is fine for some guys. As long as you you WANT to do it! To me, work fascinates me- I can sit and watch it all day.

Same here, I'm doing that at work this very minute! lol

Congrats on your retirement Mr. T!

Make everyday a great one :) See you there in 30 years ;) lol

Edited by kenzy31

Tried that once, retirement that is. Lasted for about six months, all my friends were still working so fishing or hunting during the week trips were mostly solo. Then I got bored, oh I had plenty to do, the Honey Do list was never ending and there was always something that needed fixing. My problem was that I had been working since I was 15 and I wasn't use to not having a reason to get up and go.

Tried a few things; consultant for a Small Business Development program, did some marketing and sales stuff, went back to school and got my license as a small engine technician, just couldn't find the right niche. A little over a year ago I saw an add for a part time truck driver and thought "why not?" I had driven trucks when I got out of the army..... so I applied, then I got the job!

The company and people I work for are fantastic, I am not full time but I can get 40+ hours most weeks if I wanted it. I enjoy the getting out and meeting people, going places, doing things, and most of all feeling useful. Things are going so well that they even added a new five ton truck to the fleet for me and I love it!

I wish you well in your retirement, I guess it just means different things to different people!

I hope to find some type of employment more to keep me somewhat occupied that for the $. But it has to be a job where someone does it when I'm not there. I find working in management nobody does my job when I'm not there and I come back to hundreds of emails. And a job with no email would be great! :clapping: