Moving around trailer without boat

AdamS

No need for any markers or flags on the trailer. If you can't see it in either side mirror then it's going straight. Turn left or right as needed.

Don't try to use different driving techniques when reversing a trailer and stick to how you normally drive as it'll be more natural feeling and be much easier in the long run.

I'm dislesic, can't spell is part of it. I sure had one heck of a time learning. I would hook up anything I could tow on night shift at the plant. The mechanical gang had to go hunting for the welding machines in the mornings. Like I said and others as well, if you can't see the trailer the thing is straight. The more you practice the luckier you get. Turn the wheel left the trailer goes right, turn right it goes left. Saying it out load might help, and no need for speed, slow wins the race.

You know when your good enough,when your friend lets you back in their $45,000 Lund. Thats trust. Or he just dosent want you taking off with the boat, once he drops you in. :rofl2:

Theres also that time when I had to back in between two fellas that were taking their sweet time. In out in 2 minutes. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B

Using your mirrors is fine, but saying if you can't see your trailer you're going straight back doesn't cut it when you're backing down a steep ramp and the trailer disappears and now you don't know if you're going to hit the dock you can't see or the front of your truck might hit a wall as you make adjustment.

Using your mirrors is fine, but saying if you can't see your trailer you're going straight back doesn't cut it when you're backing down a steep ramp and the trailer disappears and now you don't know if you're going to hit the dock you can't see or the front of your truck might hit a wall as you make adjustment.

Huh? What are you looking at when you smash your truck into the retaining wall at the launch ramp? lol

Sorry boys, but you fellas are waaaay over thinking this.

With a bit of practice, backing up a trailer is darned near as easy as going forward and nowhere near as difficult as some of you are making it out to be.

Go to an empty parking lot early on a Sunday morning and spend a bit of time practicing a few different turns in reverse and you'll be a master in no time.

I sorry you don't understand.

You're right, I don't understand how you smash the front of your truck into a retaining wall while backing your boat down the launch ramp. Care to explain?

Also., if you've got your mirrors setup properly like Wayne suggested it doesn't matter how steep the ramp is, you'll ALWAYS be able to see the trailer if you start going off to one side or the other.

Edited by BillM

You're right, I don't understand how you smash the front of your truck into a retaining wall while backing your boat down the launch ramp. Care to explain?

Also., if you've got your mirrors setup properly like Wayne suggested it doesn't matter how steep the ramp is, you'll ALWAYS be able to see the trailer if you start going off to one side or the other.

im sorry but this made me chuckle. backing up a boat is easy.

i 'cheat' and open up the liftgate on my jeep. rear seats folded down, i see everything. also learned by putting my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and just turning it the way i want the trailer to go. works for me.

short trailers, like you rent at uhaul, get me because of how responsive they are compare to the longer boat trailer i am used to.

i 'cheat' and open up the liftgate on my jeep. rear seats folded down, i see everything. also learned by putting my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and just turning it the way i want the trailer to go. works for me.

short trailers, like you rent at uhaul, get me because of how responsive they are compare to the longer boat trailer i am used to.

I will admit that when I'm backing my boat into it's shelter I lift the rear hatch on my Pilot.

I can back into the shelter with the mirrors but do a better job of getting it centered looking through the back.

My shelter is 10'X40' and there is a foot or less on either side if I get it perfectly centered.

I like it centered so I can get to the back of the boat from either side. Even so it's a bit tight.

My snowmobile trailer is short and suffers from short trailer syndrome. ;)

Learn to use your mirrors! I can't even back up a trailer without them anymore (well I can but it isn't pretty)

I learned with my first boat driving a full size van, the 70's and no windows, have to use mirrors if I cheat and look now I'm always turning the wrong way with direct eye contact.

For sure , the axle of my landscape trailer is several feet closer to the ball than the boat trailer, things can go bad with it real quick.

All i do is use my mirrors. If your backing a empty trailer watch both mirrors. If the trailer appears correct it. Slow and go..I hate not seeing my trailer but if I know the launch and ramp its ok. Another tip is if your towing with a pickup simply put the tailgate down, then you will see the trailer

If the truck and trailer are going straight in line before entering the water they'll continue in a straight line until you turn the wheel or the trailer floats for some reason.

x 2 on turning the mirrors down. I always have my mirrors aimed lower than most as it aids in reversing and fitting into tight spots everywhere. I also think that every vehicle should have those dome mirrors stuck to the main side mirrors as they offer a much better view and eliminate blind spots.