Leg cramps (sorta nf)

Joey

Anybody ever get leg cramps after a week of fishing? I seem to suffer from them after the first few days after fishing if we go away for a week. Wakes me up in the middle of the night and they are paiinfull. Anybody, if you have a solution, I'd love to hear it!

Joey

Eat a banana! balancing on a boat uses tons of little muscles that aren't regularly used. There's 600mg of potassium in a single banana, that helps wonders with stopping overstressed muscles from cramping up and gets rid of that restless feeling. If you're already taking magnesium then having more potassium will work even better.

Edited by Wagoneer

Drifter is bang-on. Its dehydration. You need to bring and drink lots of fluids. A couple bottles of Gator-aid help a lot (buy the powder and mix it yourself). I think you will also feel less "bagged" after a day on the water if you keep the fluids going in.

Edited by Canuck

Lying on you back, straighten out your cramping leg, and flex your ankle and point your toes back towards your head as much as you can. Hold position until the cramping subsides. Helps me all the time.

I learned it from scuba diving, when you get a leg cramp, you straighten your leg, grab the tip of your fin and pull it back towards you.

Lying on you back, straighten out your cramping leg, and flex your ankle and point your toes back towards your head as much as you can. Hold position until the cramping subsides.

This is what I do. It usually takes several minutes before it goes away, but at least with my leg extended comletely it's not so painful.

Also, the banana advice is solid. I ate a couple after my first charley horse a few days into my vacation a few weeks ago and it never came back. I'd try Gatorade if you don't like bananas.

It's funny how you posted that you only get them after fishing, (vacation). It is the same for me.

I hear ya Joey.. I got the worst leg tension that prevents me from sleeping sometimes... We're reeling in the years!!

Have ya tried stretching?? I spend a few minutes stretching every night before I hit the sack.. Stand up, keep your legs straight and try to touch your toes... Keep at it until you feel your muscles start to relax. I try to do it until my palms touch the floor..

cheers luv,

HD

If the cramping is in your calf head to see your doctor. If you're standing or sitting for long periods you could be developing blood clots in your calfs. I had a scare with that earlier this year and was diagnosed with venous reflux disease in my left leg. I now have cramps that can get bad like I've been stabbed with a hot poker. I now have to wear compression socks

You are most likely lacking vitamins. Try some whole food supplements, you can get them at places like natures emporium. They will be $$$. Don't waste your time with common drug store vitamins (synthetic) they do nothing.

Drinking lots of fluids helped me as well, but since I've been on the quality supplements the cramps have gone. Also helped with other issues.

Pm me if you like and I'll be more specific about the brand.

And drink lots of fluids.

I find I cramp up way more if I neglect the fluids.

As many have said above, hydrate yourself - and not with alcohol. :( I've heard that bananas help as well but do we really want bananas in the boat? :D I use to get them really bad and found I wasn't drinking nearly enough. I couldn't tell you the last time I had one just by increasing my water intake.

I'm not saying this is the case with you specifically but for most people we're guilty of not preparing our bodies for the rigors of our chosen sport. Getting a treadmill or elliptical machine and training for the fishing season sounds funny but I can tell you it helps a lot. I've done it for years. For me, it began with bowhunting. I found that if I training all summer I had a much easier time with the walking, climbing and shooting during cold temperatures. Getting into your stand "sweat free" in super important.

Standing in a semi-ready position balancing against wave action and moving around in the boat for 3-8 hours is not normal activity. My opinion...get active before the season and stay hydrated. You'll be way more comfortable and your heart will probably take you fishing a few extra years.

Oh boy, what a subject for me to find. Last week they had a documentary on of all things but Gatorade and granola bars and energy bars, etc. The biggest load of bull granola that you can imagine. It's nothing more than marketing by use of sports to encourage it. End result, the human body has quite the capable system to regulate it's own electrolytes. One particular athelete that rode a statioary bike in the uphill mode for over 2 hours at a grueling pace was just, barely starting to show depeltion signs. As for the energy and granola bars, another over hyped sports media, shove it down your throat baloney. End solution was to maintain your body fluid levels by drinking pain old water and not even the stuff that comes in plastic bottles, just out of the tap. Don't like the chlorine, run it through a Brita filter.

Joey, just take care of it old school. Drink plenty of water while out on the water and eat a banana at some point. Everything you need to avoid the cramps is in there. If it continues, could be something else and see your doc. Now get back out and slime that purty boat you guys have.