Worm harness line question

misfish

I got a lead on buying all the terminal tackle I need to make them.

Sweet deal to add. My question is,what line,pound test,should I be using.? I know musky and pike will attack them. Should I go with floro or heavy mono?

Also looking for knot tying methods for the hooks. .

Using an IPod right now. Sorry if it doesn't read right. LOL.

Thanks for the help.

for open water I tie them on heaver line, usually 20 lb

durability is important so it's not frayed up after a few fish, but when I know I'll snag up more often I tie them on 12 lb, so when I snag I'll keep my bouncer, and tie them up with cheaper components, my open water rigs tend to have fancier blades/more expensive components

a piece of square foam at a craft store is cheap and makes you a few rig holders...pipe insulation too

learn a snell knot too

I tie all my own walleye harnesses, both single hook (minnow) or double hook (nightcrawler). I use Trilene XT 14 pound test to make my harnesses, and usually troll from 0.9 to 1.2 mph behind a bottom bouncer.

I tied my hooks using the snell method illustrated here: http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/howtotie.html

Hope this helps.

I use 15 lb Seaguar and I tie the harness with barrel swivels #12's at each end. I snell the hooks on to 8lb fluoro and then tie that to the lower barrel swivel. I hate losing my bottom bouncers and by using a lighter leader for hooks I rarely lose the worm harness components either.

Dan O.

All depends on the harness and what you want it for. I just tied a couple small ones for speckles and used 4 lb mono. For walleye and pike I usually prefer wire, but if you're insistent on line I would use XT in either 12 or 14 lb test

Go heavier flouro 15 lb or higher if your using the metal clevises and have some toothey critters around. I prefer to use the plastic quick change clevices as I feel they're easier on the line and I don't have to be limited to only color and size of blade I tie up. I have 15-20 snells tied up ranging on a couple different lb test and beads colors. Mix in some floating bodies too.

In walleye lakes up north I primarily use 12 lb flouro and ha a couple 15's as back up

Snell knot is easy to learn. I usually tie a small snap swivel on the end to attach to what ever I'm using, 3-way or bottom bouncer.

I tie a few different set-ups. Smaller blades 10lb flouro now (but mono served me well for a long time). Bigger blades 15-20 lb flouro.

Folded clevises all the way they will reduce line wear for sure and will not bend as easy and I mostly use trilene big game 14lb test !!!!! It stands up to muskies and pike pretty good !!!! Also a good quality barrel swivel 24 inch lead !!!!! Always use a 2 hook harness !!!!!! And you are good to go !!!! Spacing of the blades is important too !!!!!!

WOW

Lots of opinions here, as I thought there would be.

I will experiment with some different lines and pound tests.

I figured they would work best for me when I,m just flipping my way around on a lake,(moving from one spot to another. Something light to troll with. Sort a speak.

Thanks for the link Spanky.

I,ll be pick up some line after work and see how I make out.

Thanks again for all the replies.