Not your typical 'Opener' thread.

BillM

With the high water levels and ice cold water temps, the thought of chasing resident fish on Saturday wasn't very appealing.. Lots and lots of skunks according to a few of my buddies so it looks like the right decision was made to hold off for a few weeks until the water temps come up a bit. Decided to head down to Lady O for round two with my buddy Dave this spring and boy oh boy did it ever pay off spades. Hit the water at sunrise and I didn't get the second rod set before the inside dipsy rod was ripping. We stopped counting once the total hit 20.. After the forearms and shoulders started to get a little sore we both look over at the graph and it says 10:17am!! We both just laughed, felt more like 2-3pm! The fish beat us up all day but we really couldn't complain. From about noon on wards the net didn't even come out and all fish were left in the water and the hooks pulled, I didn't feel like dealing with the slime to be honest :) It's crazy what a few degrees can do to the fishing.

One of many 12-15lbrs...

IMG_7679_zps2f016993.jpg

IMG_7684_zpsb825c4a6.jpg

This is what I was greeted with pretty much the entire day.. Davey getting into the action!

IMG_7688_zps7099a772.jpg

Lots and lots of clipped fish, I think we might have landed maybe 1-2 naturals throughout the day.

IMG_7696_zps1346578a.jpg

IMG_7699_zps10eee79d.jpg

It was a bit bumpy in the morning with some rain, but it let up and the sun came out.

IMG_7705_zps4f25abcf.jpg

IMG_7713_zps63da3d4b.jpg

Dave is probably a bit pissed he didn't buy a St.Catharines Game and Fish Derby ticket, this was easily a 2nd place fish in the Lake Trout category (2nd place at the time was 21.XX) :) Well over 23lbs on the scale.

IMG_7716_zpsd376aad8.jpg

An absolute cow!!!

IMG_7718_zpsf1144244.jpg

Dave and I definitely love chasing resident fish, but there's a weird addiction to Lake O as well. 4am mornings, lots of gas money but with days like these it's all worth it. Would have been nice if some bigger chinook came out to play (We landed 2 small shakers and had multiple rips) but we are thinking the water is still a bit too cold for that. They are definitely hanging around (Really easily to tell a chinook from a laker on the graph).. We'll be back at it soon!

Nice shooting ...you made the right decision for sure...there were 160ish people fishing Dennys on Saturday morning ...i just went down for the entertainment value with the camera..there were a few slips but no one fully fell in ...

Nice shooting ...you made the right decision for sure...there were 160ish people fishing Dennys on Saturday morning ...i just went down for the entertainment value with the camera..there were a few slips but no one fully fell in ...

Dave, did anyone attempt to make it to the 'island', heh.

Man that laker is a pig. A great day for you both, easy to remember those kind of days tough to forget the days you burn fuel and sight see for 8 hours.

Got the call at 9PM tonight, weather looks good for tomorrow and am invited to hit the ramp at the canal lift bridge in the AM, can't sleep now. I guess everyone else was busy so I get to go, who cares why.

I was down there all weekend fishing in the King Of The Lake tourney. Those piggies were everywhere. I'm guessing when I say we caught over 60 lakers this weekend. Biggest was 24lbs on a scale. A GREAT weekend fish wise, but not too many kings in yet. Good to see you caught lots of fish.