Looking for advice on buying a bike (NF)

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike. I haven't bought a bike since I was 12 and with my recent health issue my usual Crossfit and jogging work outs are too much for my leg so biking would be less of an impact.

I have no idea what I'm looking for when buying a bike so any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance

Dave

It's worth noting that MEC bikes will generally have a somewhat high price tag. i.e. if you're coming from the mindset of the mountain bike you had as a teenager, your eyes will widen when you see MEC prices.

If you're just looking for a mountain bike for leisure riding, check out kijiji. If you're looking to do large distances on roads, a hybrid or road bike would be more efficient (higher speeds for lesser efforts) and i'd recommend Impala. There are many entry-level bikes that would fit the bill.

Edited by jayess

this may seem odd, but I think it's better value buying from a bikes only store (Gears or Cycle Path for example), rather than some of the more expensive models at Can Tire or even MEC, usually free service for a year too at Cycle Path, test rides in the parking lot

brands like Trek, Specialized or Rocky Mountain, with Shimano components

I would also recommend a hard tail (no suspension in the rear, suspension forks up front) for a good all around bike

edit- oh yeah, I'm tall and love my 21" frame bike

Edited by chris.brock

What's your price range? That's the first question that should be asked. You can't beat the deals on some of the left over 2013 hardtails right now (Which is what you'll most likely want)

As far as bikes at MEC are concerned, they've got fantastic prices when you actually look at the components on some of those bikes. Ghost hard tail 29r for example, ranks right up there with the Scott Scale 960 I just bought ($1500 bike I got for considerably less then that)...

Edited by BillM

I would check out the schwins that are on sale at canadian tire.. their regular prices are too high but when they are on sale they are a good value.. just make sure to check the reviews before buying anything.. my buddy is a serious rider and he even recommends them for the leisure bike people who aren't looking for something high end

I have a Giant brand bike that has served me quite well for several years. I bought the Suede model as I was looking for something primarily for pleasure riding on streets and trails. It has 21 speeds, but mostly, I wanted something that I could ride sitting more upright and with a larger seat for comfort. This one was about $450 in the states, and I honestly would recommend the brand to anyone given my history with it. Lots of good answers here, and I know that many brands will serve the purpose.

I did buy mine from a bike shop because I wanted the specialized service that came with it, such as, the one year package of tuneups and general service. I expected the gear changing to require more service than it did. I had it in the shop only one time, but only because I was nearing the end of the year, and I wanted to have it checked out before then.

If your just looking to get out for a ride and a bit of exercise, make sure you spend your money where it counts. Unless your into extreme riding, don't spend money on a rear suspension, buy a hard tail bike. You're better off putting money into quality derailleurs and gear selectors, don't cheap out in this area. Accurate and easy gear changes will make all the difference in the enjoyment of your ride. Brakes would be my second place to spend on. Look for disc brakes, either manual or hydraulic. I ride a Norco Charger 6.2 (Canadian made) which I've had for 4 years. Hydra formed aluminum frame, Mid level Shimano derailleur and gear selectors, hydraulic disc brakes and a Rock Shox front suspension . It was $800 new. A bit over your specified budget, but you can get lower models from Norco with many of the same features. I'd recommend you don't go under your $500 budget, anything you buy under that amount, will be less than ideal for long term enjoyment. Also, buy from a local bike shop that has the expertise to adjust and set the bike up correctly for you, picking one off the floor from a large retailer will be a mistake.

Here's a link to the Norco Storm 6.2 specs. This would be a good choice.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/cross-country/storm/storm-62/

Edited by Old Man

Dave, buy the best you can afford. Quality components and a lighter frame, wheels, hubs will pay dividends with ride quality. You will soon tire riding a $250 CT, Walmart special. Go to a bike shop and tell them what you want and your budget. If they can fit you into your budget look on the used market there are 100's of quality used bikes for sale. I am guessing you will need a $600-$750 budget to buy a quality entry level mountain bike.

Good advice from many here, I will add my 2 cents... I bought a Trek 3700 a few years ago. I ride it pretty hard and don't spend a ton of time doing maintenance on it and it has held up well. I think I paid $450 + tx. at my local bike shop which includes free basic tuneups for life. I would recommend it for what you're describing.

A few people have mentioned buying used and while you can save significant money by doing this, also be very careful. Sometimes bikes look great when you give them a once over and ride it up and down the street but problems can hide themselves and present later. For example - cracks in the frame that you may miss and can lead to your frame snapping or brake pad wear, chain stretch etc. If you know what your doing this isn't really a problem but for a newbie it can be easily missed. If you do go the used route I would recommend asking the seller to meet you at a bike shop where the staff can look over the bike for problems before you buy. You might have to pay them $20-$30 bucks but if it saves you from buying a faulty bike it is worth it.

Lastly, don't be too worried about disk brakes. Everyone wants them because they look cool but in reality unless you're riding you bike a lot in rain or mud they don't perform any better than v-brakes.

Good luck,

DS

For comfort find a bike with front shocks at least. Also Shimano gears. Thumb or grip gears.

I have tried other gear systems and they have gone out of whack when you need them the most.

Also check for what kind of mirrors you can mount. And a gel seat works for when you are out for a decent ride.

Regards

with a $500 budget I'd look for a quality used bike, will get a lot more bang for your buck...found this in about 30 seconds, if the frame fits you (XL) I'd be all over it for 500

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/city-of-toronto/cannondale-super-v800-full-suspension-mountain-bike/585228323

check out your local shop too, usually some decent used deals...I wouldn't pay much consideration to service packages as a selling feature, if you are even remotely handy with tools 95% of the maintenance/repairs you can do your own...keep things clean and lubed periodically, pivot points, chain, cables

most importantly, buy a bike that fits you comfortably...if you buy a bike with racing geometry, you most likely won't like it

I bought a cheap POS for 25 bucks from the side on the road. Never regretted it for a second; think I've ridden it 3 or 4 times since I bought it. Suggest you do the the same, if you find your actually using your bike regularly then by all means by a fancy smanchy 1000 bike and coat yourself from top to bottom in spandex.

Oh and I'm not looking to race, just for exercise and to get outside

Outside on a paved bike path? Or, outside on a rough trail through the woods?

The type of riding you plan to do will affect whether a road bike, hybrid, hard tail, or double suspension mountain bike is the best choice.

Hybrid bikes are nice if you intend on riding mostly on good paved surfaces I got a Specialized hybrid about 2 years ago and love it!! Narrower tires than a regular mountain bike makes it easier to pedal but won't do well on off road conditions. You might be able to get a last years model for just a bit more than your budget but doubt it for under $500 with any good quality to it. Mine was about $800 with a few extra's added on ie.helmet trip. computer,lights etc.

Kawartha Kev

great thread that makes me feel better. I was gonna buy my 8y/o the baddest bike with the most suspension ctc sold till I spoke to some of my biking buds and they all said hard tail....hard tail...think weight. I ended up buying one at a true sports shop for the same price with only front fork shocks and it is perfect...half the weight. Louis Garneau 7 speed.

As others have brought up, unless you intend to ride dirt, I'd avoid a mtn bike and the associated knobbies. A good road bike with proper tires will be better suited for exercise and enjoyment. Another fork will be whether you want something more relaxed (upright) posture or aggressive. Test ride as many bikes as you can before dropping your $500 ;)

I have a Miyata mtn bike but ride it with Tioga slicks in the city. The knobbies were just too slow and noisy and pretty uncomfortable on asphalt. On trails, yeah, they earn their keep. Not sure about shocks as the only people I know that ride them are the friends who are hard core downhill riders. I would think they'd be too mushy for city riding. ymmv

One thing you might want to consider as well is getting an exercise bike for indoor use all year. I have a recumbent but would like to spend more and get one with finer adjustments but it's low priority.

Check out pinkbike.com. You'll do better in the used market with that budget.

I second pinkbike.com. Mind you I picked up a GT Aggressor and a Trek 6000, both in excellent shape, on Kijiji for $350! You can't beat that! Any used quality bike mentioned already will beat any higher priced bike at CT or any other box store. I like MEC, but you can always hit any mountain bike store and they should carry some entry level bikes for around $500+ that are solid but lack the quality components. Like mentioned, stick with a hard-tail bike. Good luck.

Edited by Hooked