Looking for advice on buying a bike (NF)

Sorry, I didn't read all of these posts.

Just to throw my 3 cents in as an avid cyclist. For a $500, you will want to purchase used.

Both my bikes are Opus, Canadian made. But there are no real serious benefits over brand in most cases.

I have bad knees, and started biking to reduce the impact.. My road bike is great for my knee issues. But your going to want to make sure you get your bike professionally fitted. It can make your issues way worse if your not fitted correctly.

My wife and i are avid cyclists. We own Specialized road bikes and Trek dual purpose hybrids. Just like boats, there is no bike that handles all conditions perfectly. If you want to ride gravel i strongly urge you to consider either a hybrid or mountain bike. If you plan to mostly trail ride buy a mountain bike, mostly ride backroads or city I recommend a hybrid. I just replaced my 20 year old hybrid. After an exhaustive search i settled on a Trek DS8.5. It's a little pricey but as I still compete I wanted decent components, disc brakes, and weight was a concern. I honestly believe the Trek DS series is very good bang for the buck. I bought a leftover model and saved some bucks. I got my bike in March and have a little over 200 miles on it so far and love it. It's very important to select the right frame size so that you can achieve the proper fit. Therefore, once you know what you want, I would urge you to go get fitted properly vs buying from a mass merchant.

Proper fit makes a world of difference in terms of your enjoyment and performance.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/models/

Lots of good advice. I don't know how old you are but I can tell you I bought and expesive bike and have upgraded parts over the years to get it how I like it. The bike has held up for over 15yrs and with upgrades over the years the bike is like new. Fit is very important. To achive that you need the frame of the bike to be the correct size. I bought a quality frame and thtat enabled me to upgrade on the proper foundation. After that you can fine tune things like changing seats and handlebars, stems, whatever you like. Lastly if you are of middle age I would tell you to buy something a bit more expensive. Why? Because if you take care of it it wil be the last bike you will probably ever buy. So spend the money and get something you like. Don't settle for less. Good luck in your search.

If you're just riding around for exercise why spend $$$? Bikes are one of those things that people go crazy over and spend a ton of money. Kinda like fishing reels and rods! Tell me what rod and reel you use and I'll tell you what bike to buy, lol. Just like reels, you pay top dollar for lower weight.

I happen to be shopping around for a decent mountain bike myself, something akin to the Pflueger President of bikes. I am only starting to really look, but the Diamondback Overdrive V looks promising at an MSRP of $500. However, I'd probably start looking used for a reputable brand like Trek, Giant, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Brodie, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Scott, Cannondale, Yeti, Jamis....there are a lot!

Then again, some guys do just fine buying a new big box store bike every couple of years. Buy it on sale for $200, sell it for $50 in a year or two. Works for some.

I agree with most that unless you're doing serious off roading get either a road or hybrid. I picked up a Giant hybrid that rides like a dream with the narrower tires and front only suspension. I just swaped out the seatpost for a Specialized suspension to smooth out the bumps and voila. I think I might have spent $550 for the lot.Highly recommend going to bike shop.....CT and Walmart staff just don't know.

Yes def look into pinkbike for something used.

Not sure how much you really want to actually ride the mtn bike as someone mentioned a hybrid might be better suited to you or even a used cross bike with some mild knobbies on them.

YMMV as I stopped riding road just because of idiots out on the road that could care less able cyclists, but that's another story.

If on the other hand you really wanted to get into trail riding such as Kelso or Hilton Falls, pinkbike will be your best bet.