Why Have So Many Cities and Towns Given Away So Much Money to Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's?

Sharkbait22

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/08/why-have-so-many-cities-and-towns-given-away-so-much-money-bass-pro-shops-and-cabelas/2906/

Here in Peterborough the selection is pretty thin - mainly Canadian Tire. I always thought this was odd given the fishing opportunities. I suppose people buy their gear closer to home.

I wonder if this competition style will drop prices over what small shops could do. I'd have to factor in the cost of gas and the aggravation of being far away. Not sure if the consumer is winning.

big bloc corporation run . there fueled by Chinese offshore products. the walmarts of the outdoor world. small manufactures and retailers are at the mercy of deep pocket corporations. my area gas been reduced to very few independents. if your not having live bait your outa business in the fishing end of it all...sadly theres many canadien baitmakers that cannot break into the box store world due to whipsaw dealings,plus after a canadien product is exciting,and fishes its guaranteed a box store will go to asia,copy it. again asia does not honor trademarks,copyrights either. then again its all lead back to our government leaving the floodgates wide open. believe me I have been in the biz 30 years.

Its amazing to be in a town like Peterborough that is surrounded by the Kawartha Lakes and some pretty decent hunting that we do not have a dedicated fishing/ hunting store. I know there have been a couple stores to giver a go a few years ago but it seemed as though they couldn't make it sustainable. If I want to go have some tackle chat I head out to Bridgenorth tackle and talk with Frank. I give him my business because I like to support local businesses, but its a real head scratcher than we cant support at least one decent fishing store in town. I'm sick of crappie tire for fishing stuff.

I still scratch my head when I go to CT or Walmart and see them selling a Big "O" for $8 and head down to LeBaron or Sail where they sell them for $5. Surely with the buying power of CT or Walmart has to be more than that of LeBaron or Sail.

Wal mart contracts out for their fishing and hunting stuff. Guy comes in ,loads the shelfs and sets the price. I know this as I have asked when products would be in. They say,they dont know,they dont stock the area.

As for CTC. I have noticed that the south end store has revamped again. They were all gong hoo 2 years ago with making the hunting and fishing area pretty big. Still way over priced. Since the announcement of Cabelas coming to town, I have noticed they have started to down size their selection again.

CTC see very little of my hard earned dollars these days. Stupid crazy prices.

I will agree that Sails prices seem to be the best of all the big chains. Lets see what Cabelas Barrie,brings to the table.

If both stores are willing to price match,Im going to be playing that game as they are both 2 minutes apart and only a 10 minute drive from my from my front door.

Depending on traffic of course.LOL

Edited by Misfish

the little independent store I went to in Winnipeg has gone the way of the wicked too, such a loss as he was meeting and sometimes beating cabela's and wholesale sports and he always had a sale going. just was a great place to stop in and shop. I sure miss it.

I try not to support the American stores when I don't have to.Sometimes I do as we all probably have.Sure they hire Canadian workers,but how much do the owners put back into Canada?.Profits?.Anyway there selection can be second to none,and I will still drop in now and then when needed.The market is there.

Davey boy very true. problem is only part time wages paid. canadien store owners are normally,hands on operaters. the mart brothers are stocked by. Maurice. .. as we slowly become absorbed into a u.s.a. shopping atmosphere the u.s.a. is being handled from Asian influence..

canadian tire have the craziest prices for fishing equipment. its just insane,i dont even know how they move anything.even when they have their discount table of opened merch,broken boxes ect they have a few rapala's reg price 12.99 on sale 9.99, the same lure is 7.99 at grimsby tackle in perfect shape.

Its amazing to be in a town like Peterborough that is surrounded by the Kawartha Lakes and some pretty decent hunting that we do not have a dedicated fishing/ hunting store. I know there have been a couple stores to giver a go a few years ago but it seemed as though they couldn't make it sustainable. If I want to go have some tackle chat I head out to Bridgenorth tackle and talk with Frank. I give him my business because I like to support local businesses, but its a real head scratcher than we cant support at least one decent fishing store in town. I'm sick of crappie tire for fishing stuff.

You think living in Peterborough and not having a dedicated outdoor store is rough, our nearest outdoor store is a 12 hour drive away!!!!!

At least our local Canadian Tire has upped their game with an expansion and bigger outdoor section that now includes a good hunting and firearms selection as well as a good fishing section.

canadian tire have the craziest prices for fishing equipment. its just insane,i dont even know how they move anything.even when they have their discount table of opened merch,broken boxes ect they have a few rapala's reg price 12.99 on sale 9.99, the same lure is 7.99 at grimsby tackle in perfect shape.

You are not supposed to buy anything at the tire unless it's on sale....if you do you will pay too much!!!!

Yup, count me in for supporting the small town, family owned shops. Their prices & quality are just as good as the big boys. At least you can communicate & fish talk with the little guys. Why, because they know fishing. I love Grimsby Tackle, Pete's tackle in St. Catharines & Fishing world in Hamilton. Cabelas in Barrie - I'll probably never see it unless you send me a picture!

Wal mart contracts out for their fishing and hunting stuff. Guy comes in ,loads the shelfs and sets the price. I know this as I have asked when products would be in. They say,they dont know,they dont stock the area.

Not 100% true... For the most part I believe that's accurate... But some stuff is regular walmart inventory that is replenished... Like some rods and Plano boxes for example....

On the OP...

I support customer service and reasonable prices...

For me that's cabelas .COM and gander mountain... They've been amazing to me over the years...

The only local tackle store that gets my business is the Canadian carp club shop.... Great selection and friendly service... And a bit of walmart and CT if I only need 1-2 things ASAP....

This is true to a degree, but CT also has some of the most ridiculously cheap clearance prices also! I recently bought a pile of rapala max raps at CT for $7 each, and they retail for $16.99 at Lebaron. I also bought a bunch of deep tail dancers, trolls to 10 and 20's and clackin raps from $4 to $7 a piece, as well as nanofil 10 and 12lb test at $14 a spool. Those are some pretty sweet deals! My buddy got a humminbird 587 for $250 on clearance as well. So while mostly they are expensive, they are cheap like borscht when they want to get rid of product! I shop mainly at my local (well, closest anyway) tackle shop, but I don't mind scoring deals when they come up, and Canadian Tire has been good to me!

Most all of what I purchase is over the internet. Some of the places are small shops and others are Bass Pro and Cab. I usually have already seen the product so now it is more about the price and availability than anything else. I guess this line of though came about trying to find parts for vintage motorcycles and cars and it has given me such good results it has carried over into the fishing world also.

Art

This is true to a degree, but CT also has some of the most ridiculously cheap clearance prices also! I recently bought a pile of rapala max raps at CT for $7 each, and they retail for $16.99 at Lebaron. I also bought a bunch of deep tail dancers, trolls to 10 and 20's and clackin raps from $4 to $7 a piece, as well as nanofil 10 and 12lb test at $14 a spool. Those are some pretty sweet deals! My buddy got a humminbird 587 for $250 on clearance as well. So while mostly they are expensive, they are cheap like borscht when they want to get rid of product! I shop mainly at my local (well, closest anyway) tackle shop, but I don't mind scoring deals when they come up, and Canadian Tire has been good to me!

Yup, their regular priced items like Rapalas just make you shake your head but the clearance items are awesome.. I just picked up two Plano Guide Series 3700 tackle bags for $39 each! Regular $80.

I always try to buy my fishing gear from the small shops but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

I want for a power handle for one of my Shimano musky reels and have called several shops around southern Ontario and even the States. Nobody has them in stock but everyone can order it for me. Price is in the $50 range plus tax plus $20-$25 shipping.

I'm only about 25 miles north of Shimano in Peterboro and decided to call them. They get them from their California office and it'll only cost me $40 plus $6 to ship it all the way up here.

Not a huge difference money wise, but it's better in my pocket that someone elses.

Lew that's what it's all about.I picked up some crazy priced crank baits recently from CT. Matzuo 2 diiferent colors,$2.33 5/16 weight each for a swagger shad deep dive,and also a Storm live kickin shad 7/8oz for $3.Blue on top,green stripe,white on the bottom with a red lip on the underside.Everytime I'm in I have to take a look for some of the really discounted stuff.Not always there,but quite often.

Edited by davey buoy