Only $330,000 compensation for this!?!?

limeyangler

Just one of many reasons why the death penalty is wrong. I had this argument with someone fishing once (we don't fish together anymore….in fact we don't hang out period….and good riddance). he piped up that all murderers/ rapists/paedophiles etc…etc…etc…should be murdered by the state. I tried to point out that the very fact that they get the wrong person from time to time should make us think twice about using it……how are we better if we know we have condemned innocent people to death? He said it was so rare it justified the use. I asked if he would feel the same way if it was his daughter in the dock. The most childish argument ensued for the next 5 minutes of him saying it was not possible that could happen and me giving hypothetical scenarios where it could.

How could you possibly put a price tag on something like this? No one would ever be happy with the amount. Some will always say it's too much. Some will always say it's too little. I'd be willing to bet not many will sue for more money. After having spent all that time behind bars I'm sure there first priority isn't spending the next 10 years in the courts trying to squeeze some money out of the system. They probably just wanna be done with it and move on.

Sad story for sure. We live in an imperfect world.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

seems to be at least one of these stories every few years....hard to imagine doing that time and staying sane

"unconstitutional suppression of evidence"

"Mr Ford was initially implicated in the killing by a woman who later testified she had lied"

I believe there is a statute of limitations for those who contributed to wrongful conviction...if I got out after 30 yrs, I wouldn't care about the money, I'd want the people responsible to be jailed

I believe there is a statute of limitations for those who contributed to wrongful conviction...if I got out after 30 yrs, I wouldn't care about the money, I'd want the people responsible to be jailed

I could not say what i'd do until i walked a few paces in that guys shoes.

Just one of many reasons why the death penalty is wrong. I had this argument with someone fishing once (we don't fish together anymore….in fact we don't hang out period….and good riddance). he piped up that all murderers/ rapists/paedophiles etc…etc…etc…should be murdered by the state. I tried to point out that the very fact that they get the wrong person from time to time should make us think twice about using it……how are we better if we know we have condemned innocent people to death? He said it was so rare it justified the use. I asked if he would feel the same way if it was his daughter in the dock. The most childish argument ensued for the next 5 minutes of him saying it was not possible that could happen and me giving hypothetical scenarios where it could.

exactly !! how many are in the system just like this guy ? a life ruined and lost, he and his family should get millions and apologies going up the chain, esp from the prosecuting side.

While I agree the death penalty should be removed this guy was far from innocent. He was involved after the fact with covering up the crime. Regretable that an "innocent" man was almost executed but this guy was no babe in the woods.The cops didn't pluck him at random off the street. He was involved with the crime he just didn't pull the trigger.

While I agree the death penalty should be removed this guy was far from innocent. He was involved after the fact with covering up the crime. Regretable that an "innocent" man was almost executed but this guy was no babe in the woods.The cops didn't pluck him at random off the street. He was involved with the crime he just didn't pull the trigger.

where do you read this? he was prosecuted because he used to work at the store, and of course he is a scary black man

all the news reports I read were something similar to this:

"New information corroborated what Ford had said all along: that he was not present at nor involved in the November 5, 1983, slaying of Isadore Rozeman, the project said"

where do you read this? he was prosecuted because he used to work at the store, and of course he is a scary black man

all the news reports I read were something similar to this:

"New information corroborated what Ford had said all along: that he was not present at nor involved in the November 5, 1983, slaying of Isadore Rozeman, the project said"

A black man was convicted by an all-white jury in Louisiana 30 years ago following a capital trial that was constitutionally deficient in almost every way. Now he may be released from death row not because the courts remedied the injustices that swamped his case but because prosecutors believe another person committed the crime.
Prosecutors believe the recent account of a confidential informant who claims that one of other four original co-defendants in the case, arrested long ago along with Glenn Ford, was actually the person who shot and killed Rozeman. This is not news to Ford. For three decades, stuck in inhumane conditions on death row in the state's notorious Angola prison, he has insisted that he had nothing to do with the murder and that he was involved in the case only after the fact.
Any exoneration is remarkable, of course. Any act of justice after decades of injustice is laudable. It is never too late to put to right a wrong. But what also is striking about this case is how weak it always was, how frequently Ford's constitutional rights were denied, and yet how determined Louisiana's judges were over decades to defend an indefensible result.
Dude wasn't a good guy. In no way should he have been convicted of murder but he should have spent some time in jail.
Edited by Musky or Specks

I think it is just over ten years or so that the Innocence Project has helped exonerate over 300 people with DNA testing.

18 from Death row.

Unfortunately, DNA evidence is only available to be tested/retested in less than 10% of cases.

How many wrongful convictions are acceptable? How many wrongful executions?

There are big systemic issues preventing meaningful change;

Anyone who proposes change is quickly labeled "Soft on crime" and is voted out or not elected. Which also chills any future proposals. It is much easier to demand Mandatory Minimums, More Prisons, Three Strikes, etc.(Because they are "Tough on Crime"grrr)

In the States at least, Judges, Prosecutors, and Sheriffs, face elections. Little reason to re-examine past convictions and admit mistakes or propose changes. Canada has had wrongful convictions as well so no reason to feel superior(A common CDN trait)

There is a huge imbalance in the available resources for Prosecutors compared with Public Defenders. If a more fair system is truly desired, it is going to cost more. People are always up-in-arms when a wrongful conviction is exposed, less so when greater funding is proposed.

And the bigger issues of Class, Poverty, Education, Drugs, Racism, and the money involved in the Incarceration business(Business is good!).

It is easier if we don't have to or refuse to look the wrongfully convicted in the eye and admit that one of our bedrock institutions is fatally flawed.

Cheers,

Mark

PS. Isn't it grand that the acceptable changes in some jurisdictions is to cap damages of the wrongfully convicted.

Is our justice system perfect ? No but it constantly evolving, a far cry from public hangings on the square. But most of the time it works like it's supposed too.
In this man's case it seems mistakes were made, isn't the first time won't be the last. Is he being compensated enough? Probably not, but like some have said what would be enough? Only he could answer that question.

Innocence Project has worked for some but one has to wonder how many they have convicted people they have gotten off on technicalities in the trial process besides the DNA evidence.
With that said our imperfect system have let guilty people that have taken lives walk away free.

As far as capital punishment, I have no problem imposing it on a guilty person if that person takes another person's life under the death penalty provisions. It's not like one is found guilty today and put to death tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken here. In the state of Ohio conflicted of death row inmates sit in prison for a minimum of 17 years before they are put to death, which gives them more than ample time to appeal.

Can't speak for the prison that this man was in but I have personally worked in two medium and one maximum security prisons in this state and the conditions are better in them than some people live on the outside, three squares a day, a bed, heat, AC, education if the want it, sports and cable tv, the only thing they basically can't do is leave.

Edited by Whopper