Stop shooting yourselves

Rod Caster

most guys will turn the safety off when in the stand, because the click of the safety can spook the deer, also the excitement in the time you have a deer in your sights and you forget the safety is on, well thats a missed opprotunity, kinda like not having your rod in your hand when you get a hit, next time you're float fishing, put a cast out, then put your rod down, or leave slack in the line so you have to reel it up before setting the hook

Not most guys I hunt with,infact none of the guys I hunt with.

most guys will turn the safety off when in the stand, because the click of the safety can spook the deer, also the excitement in the time you have a deer in your sights and you forget the safety is on, well thats a missed opprotunity, kinda like not having your rod in your hand when you get a hit, next time you're float fishing, put a cast out, then put your rod down, or leave slack in the line so you have to reel it up before setting the hook

I can't believe I just read that :dunno: Like I said I've been qualified as a Hunter Safety Instructor since 1977, after reading that I wish there was some way I could issue you a FAIL and pull your licence. That is just wrong in anyone's book, you are not serious I hope that was some kinda troll. :wallbash:

At least you can understand why guys are shooting each other now...

Speaking of the Hunter Safety course, there are some people taking it that should never be given a firearm.. I had a few in my class that just made you shake your head.

alcohol...... how many of these so called accidents was alcohol involved

It's amazing more hunters aren't killed, it is sad how unlucky and or stupid people are.

I tell you a story. In the 60's my cousin and I would ride along with my Uncle and his hunting buddies when they hunted Western NY on the weekend. Their preferred method was to push a field towards the station wagon, if no Deer seen, the next move was to load everyone into the wagon, all 8 of us, then mosey down to the next gin mill and have a shot of Kessler's and a Jenny, or two, then load up and find another field, push, repeat beer and shot. I wonder if this is the way it got them through Europe during the war.

A few years ago in Haldimand County here 2 knuckleheads were hunting a pond for Duck. These two yokels both in their 70's began to argue, one friend took offence and shot the other. No fatality fortunately. Both blew well over the legal limit for driving. They weren't driving the shooter told OPP, just huntin'.

Ask me why I never took up hunting? I don't like Kessler's Whisky.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

When we were kids we were visiting my uncles house and my brother and I were in the basement. My uncle came down and noticed us looking at his shotgun hanging on the wall. He took it down to show it to us and the damn thing fired. The 12 guage blast hit the concrete floor right in front of my brothers feet and blew the concrete shards up at him. He wasn't seriously hurt but had small cuts all over his legs.

Of course, the 1st thing my uncle said was "I din't know it was loaded"

I still think of that day and shudder at the thought of how close my bro came to being seriously injured or killed.

It was a very long time before my family spoke to my uncle again.

I am not defending these "hunters". But I will defend the vast majority of hunters who are safe and never have acidents. Just as we wouldn't want a drunk driver so somehow represent all drivers or a :asshat: fishermen representing all of us. And I know that was not necessarily the tone hear either, I'm just putting it out there.

Sorry, but you can't be serious? You're either an anti trying to portray a bad image, someone who hangs around very irresponsible hunters, or an extremely ignorant hunter who hasn't shot himself or others...YET. Only someone who has never hunted would assume that the nearly silent "click" of turning the safety off would spook a deer.

Not most guys I hunt with,infact none of the guys I hunt with.

I've been hunting for 15-20 years and have never heard of leaving the safety off because it will spook a deer when you switch from "safe" to "fire".

I can't believe I just read that :dunno: Like I said I've been qualified as a Hunter Safety Instructor since 1977, after reading that I wish there was some way I could issue you a FAIL and pull your licence. That is just wrong in anyone's book, you are not serious I hope that was some kinda troll. :wallbash:

Yep

As Sinker mentioned, the controlled hunt brings out the yahoo's who have no clue how to properly use a firearm as they only hunt a maximum of 5 days each year during the controlled deer firearm hunt. Many of these folks don't even bother practicing with their firearms before the season starts, hence the "world war 3" amount of gunshots that can be heard during the first week of November in many area's as a huge majority of these guys spray and pray rather than making the first shot count. They have no idea how to handle a firearm, how to shoot it, or their effective range.

The controlled hunt will always be the most dangerous time of year for both hunters and non hunters due to the high number of very inexperienced "hunters" in the bush.

These are also the same guys that drive back to the city with a deer proudly strapped to that back of their side by side for everyone on the highway to see. Classless.

Sorry,but have to disagree. It,s our right. Why should we cover up or harvest? Do you feel shame? Not I.

The old saying,dont like it,dont look,then again,it,s not hard to miss a mazda pu with 2 huge does,and 2 big 9 pt and 12 point bucks in the back.LOL

Sorry,but have to disagree. It,s our right. Why should we cover up or harvest? Do you feel shame? Not I.

The old saying,dont like it,dont look,then again,it,s not hard to miss a mazda pu with 2 huge does,and 2 big 9 pt and 12 point bucks in the back.LOL

Who are you trying to impress with a dead deer strapped to the back of your truck? Don't be one of those guys. I saw a bunch of deer that needed to be strapped down covered with a tarp as well, no need to show it off to the world for nothing more then the shock value.

This is exactly why I don't do the controlled deer hunt. You get a pile of guys in the woods who handle guns for one week a year, and think they know everything. I'll stick to killing ducks, thanks.

All of these cases are just plain stupid. Seriously....lowering your gun from the stand....LOADED?? what the hell is wrong with these guys? They deserve what they get, and I really hope they learn a lesson.

All this does is provide ammo for anti guns.....just kills the image for all hunters. Frankly, as a hunter, its embarassing.

S.

I hear you. Going into a crown land bush with a bunch of others that are unknown just doesn't make me want to get back into it after all these years. However, I had more close calls when duck hunting. Almost got shot on my own property while I was with my 2 year old son. We were on the dock watching a teal swimming around then decide to head back to the house. Just as soon as we walked behind some trees, someone let loose on the teal and we could hear the pellets rushing through the trees. I started out after them, but they bolted. I also had a close call in a blind when someone jump shooting didn't care who might be in the path. People need to slow down and put safety ahead of the kill. Edited by jimmer

And this is why I switched to traditional archery and have hunted with a recurve or longbow for the last 25 years. No morons in the bush, super hard to draw a bow and shoot yourself(LOL), and because my kill range is a comfortable 15 yards, not much chance of driving around with a deer strapped to my car! haha But that's ok, not much chance of ME being strapped to a stretcher either!

I remember one year Joe and I went hunting and we both shot deer. Well normally that isn't an issue but we were hunting in a VW Bug. We put both of them in the back seat with a 8 legs standing up. Talk about getting some funny looks when people looked into the windows. It wasn't that we were hidding the deer it is ther isn't any place to strap a deer on the round body.

Art

I remember one year Joe and I went hunting and we both shot deer. Well normally that isn't an issue but we were hunting in a VW Bug. We put both of them in the back seat with a 8 legs standing up. Talk about getting some funny looks when people looked into the windows. It wasn't that we were hidding the deer it is ther isn't any place to strap a deer on the round body.

Art

Ha!

This doesn't really bother me either. In northern Quebec they strap the head of the moose to the hood of their truck and drive it around for a week...its just a part of their culture. Now in more populated areas i can see how it would only be a 'shock' thing and is not really part of the culture.

Art

Now thats a great story!

I hear you. Going into a crown land bush with a bunch of others that are unknown just doesn't make me want to get back into it after all these years. However, I had more close calls when duck hunting. Almost got shot on my own property while I was with my 2 year old son. We were on the dock watching a teal swimming around then decide to head back to the house. Just as soon as we walked behind some trees, someone let loose on the teal and we could hear the pellets rushing through the trees. I started out after them, but they bolted. I also had a close call in a blind when someone jump shooting didn't care who might be in the path. People need to slow down and put safety ahead of the kill.

Don't get me wrong, duck hunting is definitly dangerous!

Usually by the time deer season rolls around though, your only left with the hardcore waterfowlers in the marsh. Most times I have the whole place to myself. The first couple weeks of the season are complete Bull though......

S.

I was more disgusted finding someone had dumped all their deer entrails all over the side of the road in front of the local conservation area. Complete lack of class, im sorry but at least dump them out of view, not just drop the tailgate at the side of the road and play dump truck!

Don't get me wrong, duck hunting is definitly dangerous!

Usually by the time deer season rolls around though, your only left with the hardcore waterfowlers in the marsh. Most times I have the whole place to myself. The first couple weeks of the season are complete Bull though......

S.

I dont duck hunt because I dont like to eat them, but you should have been on the trent river on opening day for birds...Yikes it sounded like a war going on out there..I often wonder how stupid those birds are

. However, I had more close calls when duck hunting. Almost got shot on my own property while I was with my 2 year old son. We were on the dock watching a teal swimming around then decide to head back to the house. Just as soon as we walked behind some trees, someone let loose on the teal and we could hear the pellets rushing through the trees. I started out after them, but they bolted. I also had a close call in a blind when someone jump shooting didn't care who might be in the path. People need to slow down and put safety ahead of the kill.

Ya, I've been peppered several times duck hunting.

Nothing that's broken the skin. But I'm lucky I haven't lost an eye! Honestly. Some people are either total asses, or just plain stupid.

I've also seen guys jump shooting, and not realize what was on the other side of the trees. Until their shot hammers up against a cottage and someone comes running out screaming their head off.

It's an embarrassment for all hunters.

Bunch of duck dynasty wannabes.