Stop shooting yourselves

Rod Caster

Ok, southern Ontario, what's going on?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/6-hunters-mistakenly-shot-as-deer-hunting-season-begins-1.2417094

Ontario Provincial Police are reminding hunters about the importance of firearm safety after six accidental shootings involving hunters less than a week into deer hunting season.

Central Hastings OPP said the first incident happened around 8:40 a.m. Monday, when a 42-year-old man was accidentally shot in the arm while hunting with a group in Tudor and Cashel Township, near Bancroft.

They said he was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries.

The second happened on Maple Road in Odessa, where a 55-year-old man was accidentally shot, according to police.

The third happened on Weedmark Road in Montague, northeast of Smiths Falls, when police said they were called to a 59-year-old man's accidental shooting around 6:45 p.m.

In all of the cases, no charges are going to be laid.

There was another accidental shooting Tuesday near Peterborough. OPP said a 17-year-old boy was accidentally shot in the shoulder by someone else in their hunting party.

He was taken to hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries. Again, no charges will be laid.

2 new accidental shootings Thursday, OPP say

Then, on Thursday, OPP sent out releases about two accidental shootings involving hunters that day.

The first happened just before noon at a property on County Road 34 in North Glengarry Township.

A 75-year-old man from the township was hunting when his firearm accidentally discharged, injuring him.

He was taken to hospital in serious but non-life-threatening condition.

The second happened after 2:30 p.m. the same day at 1935 County Rd. 43 in North Grenville.

A 23-year-old man was found in the bush with a shoulder wound, and was airlifted to The Ottawa Hospital's Civic campus with a non-life-threatening injury.

In both cases, foul play isn't suspected and the investigations are ongoing.

OPP said to visit Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources or Hunter Education Program websites for more safety information.

These incidents come just over a year after an Ottawa hunter was accidentally shot and killed south of Ottawa.

How do you shoot yourself in the shoulder?

I don't see anywhere where is says someone shot themselves in the shoulder. One was shot in the shoulder by another member of the hunting party; another was found in the bush with a shoulder wound; the latter may have shot themselves, but that is not specified.

I too am having a hard time believing that none of these people need to charged. Don't deer hunters have to where orange?

How do you shoot yourself in the shoulder?

walking through the bush, 1 in the chamber, your eyes are looking for the prey and not where you're walking, and you trip

I think it was last year a grouse hunter shot himself in the head and died, sad story

Hard to believe none of these people are being charged with Careless Use of a Firearm...

Punishing people for honest mistakes seems redundant, but fits right in with society today.

I heard a guy sued his wife for having ugly children and won, thats the kinda justice we serve.

I heard a guy sued his wife for having ugly children and won, thats the kinda justice we serve.

She should have counter sued for not providing the appropriate tool for making good looking children.

She should have counter sued for not providing the appropriate tool for making good looking children.

she was one ugly women, so she had many plastic surgeries before he met her so she looked good, but gave birth to kids that looked like her per-surgery

she ain't pretty

she just looks that way

Edited by Terry

Punishing people for honest mistakes seems redundant, but fits right in with society today.

I've been a Hunting Instructor since 1977, you know the course you need to pass to get a hunting licence, although I have not taught in a few years. 6 in such a short space of time is quite a blip on a good safety record but if it is a cases of not identifying your target there is no such thing as a honest mistake. Charges should be laid :dunno:

50 odd years ago I knew an old man, basically a hermit, who lived in a log cabin in the bush near the s/e corner of Algonquin Park on the Bonnechere River.

70 years before I met him when he was just a small boy, he looked out the window of the same old cabin at sunrise and saw what he thought was a bear at the waters edge. His dad wasn't around so he got the gun and shot the bear. He ran down to the water to find that it was actually his dad he'd killed.

Tough thing for a young boy to carry with him for the rest of his life.

one accidental shooting happened while the guy was coming out of his tree stand, lowered his gun down first, forgot to put the safety on, gun went off an got him in the gut, he's a friend of my bosses.

the others, i don't know, if its some one else shooting at them, then they are idiots or colour blind since you have to wear blaze orange

one accidental shooting happened while the guy was coming out of his tree stand, lowered his gun down first, forgot to put the safety on, gun went off an got him in the gut, he's a friend of my bosses.

the others, i don't know, if its some one else shooting at them, then they are idiots or colour blind since you have to wear blaze orange

I'm sorry but at no point should the safety been off unless a deer was in sight , the gun shouldered and he intended to shoot the animal. Sitting in a treestand with the safety off waiting for a deer is just plain " STUPID " . Lowering a gun from a treestand it should have been totally unloaded, safety on don't cut it :wallbash:

I've been a Hunting Instructor since 1977, you know the course you need to pass to get a hunting licence, although I have not taught in a few years. 6 in such a short space of time is quite a blip on a good safety record but if it is a cases of not identifying your target there is no such thing as a honest mistake. Charges should be laid :dunno:

I don't doubt many of these men would accept the charges. They probably feel guilty enough as it is, added charges would probably seem suffice to them.

I think the compassion of the lawmakers not laying charges here, recognizing human error, is not a bad thing. It's kind of good fuel against any anti-hunting groups to not have a ridiculous amount of hunters getting firearms charges and licenses revoked.

I'm pretty sure if someone made the stupid mistake of shooting themself, they'd be pretty cautious of their safety IF and when they ever go back out.

Just my opinion.

This is exactly why I don't do the controlled deer hunt. You get a pile of guys in the woods who handle guns for one week a year, and think they know everything. I'll stick to killing ducks, thanks.

All of these cases are just plain stupid. Seriously....lowering your gun from the stand....LOADED?? what the hell is wrong with these guys? They deserve what they get, and I really hope they learn a lesson.

All this does is provide ammo for anti guns.....just kills the image for all hunters. Frankly, as a hunter, its embarassing.

S.

5 guys grouse hunting..Walking in the bush, grouse jumps up dad shoots his son in the head..Very Very sad story...Make sure of your surrounding before you pull the trigger... I hate these situations that can be prevented..

Edited by DanielM

I'm sorry but at no point should the safety been off unless a deer was in sight , the gun shouldered and he intended to shoot the animal. Sitting in a treestand with the safety off waiting for a deer is just plain " STUPID " . Lowering a gun from a treestand it should have been totally unloaded, safety on don't cut it :wallbash:

most guys will turn the safety off when in the stand, because the click of the safety can spook the deer, also the excitement in the time you have a deer in your sights and you forget the safety is on, well thats a missed opprotunity, kinda like not having your rod in your hand when you get a hit, next time you're float fishing, put a cast out, then put your rod down, or leave slack in the line so you have to reel it up before setting the hook

Edited by FloatnFly

most guys will turn the safety off when in the stand, because the click of the safety can spook the deer

Are you for real? I have an 870,you wouldnt hear me push the little button left,,let alone a deer. My 7400 the same. Please know what you speak of please.

Daniel,thats is so sad. DAMIT

Shane,you nailed it.

Cant amagine Lew

Doug,maybe in the camp? I was thinking the same thing though.

Edited by Misfish