"A Fifty Gar Salute!!!"

Moosebunk

A Warship would fire its cannons harmlessly out to sea, until all ammunition was spent, to show that it was disarmed, signifying the lack of hostile intent. This naval custom quite adapted, "A Fifty Gar Salute," chronicles the beginning to end of 2013's exceptional fishing season battling with giant gar.

Longnose gar are prehistoric. They are an adaptable, fast-growing, durable species with no predators in this region other than themselves, and even their eggs are toxic to humans, animals and other fish. Without any reference I would have to guess they are some evolutionary link between the Ocean's needlefish and the World's wetland crocs and alligators. Interestingly, I have heard they can reach fifty years of age, although I have not found any literature supporting that wild fish actually live longer than about twenty years; or captive fish to thirty. Females are the older, larger and I will say wiser of the sexes. Day or night hunters, double-scaled for armor, good peripheral vision, a sometimes wily, aggressive demeanor, and a beak-full of pinpoint teeth ready to turn and snap under strong jaws, gar are the nightmares of anything in the water that might just fit down their throats. To help them breathe and tolerate their preferred shallow, warmer, summer habitats, gar are able to gulp air through their nostrils and fill an overly vascular swim bladder for added oxygenation beyond what their gills can provide. Because of this, they can actually live for a short time out of water as long as they remain wet. A gar's weakness I have found are their soft fins and tail. Careful control and handling; and maybe even not using a net, will do wonders in helping protect them. These are a fascinating fish supposedly quite sensitive to human pressures and sudden ecological changes, (extinct this century to Europe) although they have been around and evolving since the age of dinosaurs. In Ontario the distribution of gar ranges all along the shorelines of the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers, including some inland rivers and lakes, making them available to much of our angling population. In our waters I believe a fish greater than 48-inches to be a great catch and 50's are trophies, akin to catching trophy class northern pike at forty inches. Our current Ontario Record lists a fish at 20.1 pounds and 54-inches, although fish beyond this mark are regularly seen and caught in some home waters. The Official World Record longnose gar is Townsend Miller's Texan brute at 50-pounds caught in the 1950's. A great link to view a more recent angler's catch and report of a possible near World Record 61-inch longnose gar caught in Texas, is found here...

http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/boundlesspursuit/2012/04/18/monster-fish-april-15-18/

My gar fishing this year started a little cloudy, both figuratively and environmentally. It appeared the season would be cut short, as it had been planned during prime-time that I would be somewhere on the Attawapiskat River. This 10-day Northern stretch was cause for work shifts at home to be condensed pre and post trip, thus limiting gar chances even more. Add to that the late spring, unpredictable weather we'd been having, and a second trip booked during the later end of gar season, what opportunities might be garnered remained a big mystery. All that could be done was to simply wait and see how it unfolds. 2012 had been so good to me though, with a dozen days out, friends and family along, plenty firsts and personal bests, a 20+ pound catch for myself, six other fish boated over 50 inches and many, many more 48 and over, there was this intense urge to build on that great year and chase gar again with even more determination. I'll admit, there's little akin to hunting for big gar, so anticipation ran high until that first day arrived.

02_zpsa22f4225.jpg

01_zps6a63c918.jpg

MISSION 1. SOLO 1.

Shoving off the dock at the launch, I waved to local legend Big Jim with a guide and received his smile and hello in return, they had it in mind to seek out some gar too. As I rolled into a corner of the bay with those fellas gliding in behind, the first fish of the season I spotted just might have been the biggest. So here I go... an audience, a huge fish, so much investigating to still be done, my nervous knees started knocking while trying to place casts to that one big gar, until it spooked away. Plenty of water to fish yet, the two boats divided and we didn't see each other much thereafter. Over the afternoon amongst a few fish in the high 40-inch range, I also managed to boat my first 50-incher of the season. It was from that point on I decided this year I would not photograph myself with anything less than a fifty, and so the idea of "A Fifty Gar Salute," was born. Begged the question, did this early thought (or maybe goal for that matter), effect the outcome of the season? You will see.

MISSION 2. BREN.

It's rare with Bren's new practice, Ju Jitsu schedule and the girls that she takes a day to join me in the boat, but on this weekend she was willing and able. There are many things about her I love and respect. Her patient determination and all she has overcome in her life. Her strong will to always improve, achieve and succeed. Her care for others and her endless energy, just to name a few more. She is a woman who gives me the longest leash a man could ask for, and loyal to her I would rather not wander far but instead have her fishing more by my side as we grow old together. On this day we searched the gar out, she took a handoff for her first then hooked a couple more on her own with some coaching and practice. Bren's third fish and personal best was a 50-incher, adding another one to the boat's total. For what Bren would call "an ugly fish" before, she found a bit of a new appreciation for. By the time this report gets posted, she and I will nearly be off for a week to chase walleye and pike back in our northern home.

03_zpsa2c31674.jpg

04_zps4bd18ea1.jpg

05_zps287f3440.jpg

06_zps2386e186.jpg

07_zps74fdcf05.jpg

08_zps6ebc1d51.jpg

09_zps3bd3b410.jpg

MISSION 3. FLOAT & MAGNET.

Us three in the boat it's like having Obi-wan, Luke and Solo aboard except with all of us playing all three characters at any given time. It's a fun ride. In my story book, Floaty doesn't get left behind either, and gar has been something that for a number of years he's been wanting to cross off his lifetime list. So, this spring during a mint day we warped into some shallow galaxy, probed around 'bout twenty minutes, then discovering a long gar stationed on the surface totally in an open shipping lane, the man during his excitement fired a cast probably 500 yards beyond his target. Collecting and correcting himself he shot again, this time on the mark, destroying his first gar. Later that day, after battling many more fish between us, Patty captured himself a great 50-incher as well, before he and I chased down an absolute beast bogie gar we stumbled on out in some deep space. A fish on the run from many casts, it engaged me and I cracked her hull hard. Well beyond fifty was this Jaba, and by some measurement standards light years from one end to the other.

10_zps8fac97be.jpg

11_zpsaf5048e4.jpg

12_zps21a87304.jpg

13_zps3c8ab7d2.jpg

MISSION 4. SOLO 2.

This was a day for me that all other gar days will measure up to. The chaos of it was absolutely mind-blowing and exhausting, but during one late afternoon on the water it must have gone so perfectly smooth and calm because had it not, it probably couldn't have happened. Keeping chill while fishing and handling the fish is so utterly important to catching and photographing gar. I was alone, just one pair of eyes, one pair of hands, a camera on a tripod, big fish crossing my path one after another, and in the span of just a few hours managed to catch, photograph (only the 50 plus fish) and release a 54, 53, 52, 52 and 50 inch gar, as well as a 49 and two 48's that were sent swimming immediately after noting their disappointing lengths. Over 400 inches of gar, alone, and all eight of them four feet and longer. The Fifty Gar Salute only allows the qualified fish pics get posted, but you'll get the idea... it was totally amazing fishing here at home, a day anyone hopes for. Do I believe in a lucky shirt too... yeah, this one has some memorable miles on it.

14_zps7bfe62a9.jpg

15_zpsd1af45e9.jpg

19_zps2d345d97.jpg

16_zps6ffbac04.jpg

17_zps9b6d6ea3.jpg

MISSIONS 5&6. SOLO 3.

Two different days started out great but were cut shorter by cloud and breezy conditions. Weather this season for gar was hardly ideal at all yet to my surprise it didn't slow down the big fish bite one bit. I was only four trips into the spring with nine fish over 50-inches, already bettering the great fishing conditions during 2012's dozen outings for seven of the same size. Online weather this year often forecasted for ideal days but because the water was high and cool for so long, when the days sun began heating the land convection winds were actually strong enough to really screw over the ability to sight fish. Not only that, the variable temps seemed to increase afternoon cloud cover more than what was experienced the previous two seasons, and some days the morning haze just didn't burn off at all. It's while fishing solo and facing such challenges that these types of thoughts come to mind more often. Why this, why that, how is it affecting this, how do I adapt, where are the best chances, etc? Like it primarily was living up north for those years, the freedom for continual, uninterrupted thinking and experimentation on the water is probably every bit as important to individual angling growth, as is say the media and fishing with others. It's also a great opportunity to really study if you're not too school for cool. Before these two afternoons would finish, two 53's a 52 and a 51 would get boated, but the best photos came because of being forced to really slow down during the scan for fish, and stay stealthy while working smaller fish-able areas with extra care.

18_zps48ac0981.jpg

20_zps5e36b980.jpg

22_zps590782f1.jpg

21_zpsaae8e40a.jpg

23_zps96b6d09b.jpg

24_zps2005ef92.jpg

25_zpsa8aff3be.jpg

Continued...

Edited by Moosebunk

Maybe sooner, but somewhere around this time I had to pull the plug on the Attawapiskat trip. The original week long dates had been pushed back a week and I was OK with work for that time, but when the ice still hadn't gone out up north and the trip was pushed back another week, it basically landed on where all my work shifts had been changed to, and there would be no way to find coverage of 60 hours over two full weekends. It was a bummer having planned, paid and been looking forward to joining a good group of guys. That aside, gar fishing had already been more fulfilling than I expected it would be, this while the trip had been a go and, now I had a pile of time off and nowhere to spend it except right here at home. C'est la vie? Only a few prime weather days presented themselves for gar while off though, and so in the meantime I picked up a few extra shifts, enjoyed two different walleye openers, played with crappies, and in good time jigged up some of them quality Rideau lakers.

MISSION 7. SIMON.

Simon and I hadn't fished together in years, not since 2007 in B.C. for sturgeon and prior to that for Niagara lakers. When he mailed asking to visit from Cambridge for a day, there was no chance I wasn't going to make gar happen. After announcing his long drive on Facebook, it was great to see him again once he arrived the evening before. Next morn we saw the girls off to school then hit the local greasy spoon for breakfast. It was forecasted to be windy; and it was, but actually not as bad as originally thought. Simon needed to best a low forty incher from some years before, and within about fifteen minutes of fishing he did just that. Simon means business, loves to fish, and will travel far if he chooses. Because of his triple threat, the local garthority was hastily investigating our day out fishing... As it turned out, Simon certainly is another threat, he is intelligent, experienced and driven. Our day on the water was perfect timing too, as the fish were stacked like cord-wood in a few isolated pockets and we made out like bandits. Self-control to not cast at the dozens of fish in view required some serious will power, and so it was with Simon that he quickly learned what is worthy of his casts, and what is a pass. His new PB a grotesquely thick 52.5 incher was one of the two fifty and overs he caught that day, along with a 48 and 45. My restraint for pulling the trigger was a little off though, and for what I thought were 50's actually turned out to be four fish at 48-inches, except with one large "photo qualifier" for the guide's sake.

26_zps5775e24c.jpg

28_zps3b7f7fec.jpg

27_zps92289c9b.jpg

29_zps46046f4d.jpg

30_zps44dd83b7.jpg

31_zps106a9d8a.jpg

MISSION 8. MIKE.

Hard not to return next day with perfect conditions and such an intense concentration of fish, but not return was exactly what I did. Scrambling late to find a partner my friend Mike came to mind. One of the nicest fellas you'd ever meet, salt of the earth, raised up on Lake Clear. Over the winter I had told him about gar and when I land-lined that evening and learned he was totally game to fish on his Birthday... well perfect, it was meant to be a gift anyways. So exploring a new locale, came off plane in a bay, stepped onto the deck, immediately saw a big fish, asked Mike for my rod behind me, took a cast, then handed him a 50-incher to reel in. Another boat fishing gar nearby, in the next 38-minutes Mike caught a 51 and reeled in a 52 as well. Spot not just burned but completely blown off the map in an hour, we took off to fish other areas throughout the rest of the afternoon. Took some cool shots along the way before some clouds rolled in around 2:00pm and ended things early, but Mike's Facebook quote that night still read, "Thanks buddy. Had a great time, they sure are fun to reel in. Best fishing day ever!" HBD Dood!

32_zpsd20604ce.jpg

33_zps510cb9b7.jpg

34_zps8539bfc8.jpg

35_zpsbbf93f4b.jpg

36_zps371150cf.jpg

37_zpsb16f08fd.jpg

38_zps9eed72da.jpg

39_zpse0edf1ea.jpg

MISSION 9. MAGNET 2.

When Pat and I fish it always seems to be an education of different styles working well together. Too many examples to write about I will say this, if I'm fishing one way he is certain to always be doing something different, sometimes so completely opposite, but yet we'll both be catching fish. For me he is a real and honest pioneer gar angler of the Ottawa, from the earlier days of fishing forums. He has shared selflessly with others his ideas and fishing spots, not to hold any title or rule as to returning or enjoying gar, and he's also been a supportive angler who genuinely applauds his friends when big fish are caught. An all around good guy to hit the water with, we've certainly had our fair share of days fishing together. In keeping with that, before his departure to guide the summer on Hawk Lake Ontario and then Kasba Lake in the Arctic, we managed one more fun day chasing gar during his final week at home. Conditions I remember were quite off as the morning haze never burned, and so we were stuck with low-light for the duration. Not surprising though, in due time and effort we did spot several great fish throughout the day and managed to each pluck two super-solid, rocket razor beakers. Hope he is having the time of his life right now with the colossal lakers, pike and grayling found up on Kasba.

40_zpsa53fb5d6.jpg

41_zps6270cf24.jpg

MISSION 10. DAD.

Awhile back I popped a pic up on Facebook with a caption that read, "cold, dark & dirty day on river for gar'n, but through any muck & mire, dad always helps me see things more clearly." Always my teacher, a biggest fan, the leader of our pack and a best friend, any day on the water with my father is time well spent. With gar, I think he could actually care less if he reels one in, makes a hook-set or poses with a catch, for with him I get the sense he is just happy to be along. Our day started off alright weather wise and we managed a good fish early, but some hazy clouds and a western breeze built up in the late morning pushing us into search mode. Trying to see deep without light and peer through ripples made for a slow afternoon. When we did spot fish we were often right on top of them and they were freakin' out. Despite this condition, before heading home we did get the hooks into one more goodun. Over these short three years dad is building quite the personal collection of great gar photos.

42_zps4a22dd3f.jpg

43_zps33072de6.jpg

MISSION 11. LEAH.

The season's end had to wait and that meant the final report would as well. Gar fishing had been exceptional this year with ten missions, nine of those catching one or multiple 50 plus inchers, 22 that size in total and too many to keep track of in the 48 to 50 range. There were also a number of PB's and firsts for some happy friends and family and, that one unforgettable day of eight giants with five of 'em in the 50's. It felt good knowing that I not only built on 2012's solid fishing year, but did so during tougher weather windows and a shortened time frame overall. Leah was my only consideration to holding back from the finish though, because before our departure to Nipigon she mentioned that she too wanted to catch a gar like her big sister had in 2012. After seeing how well she did handling walleye and pike, a little tentative we made a day happen. Because these are fish as big as her with a lot of teeth, my worry was her safety being photographed with one. We devised a strategy that if a fish thrashed, she was to push it away and quickly get back from it. Well, of course it would happen that way too. After reeling in her first gar and just before picking it up for a photo, the fish squirmed on the deck and Leah shoved it right back in the river. She was stressed, the fish sensed stresse, yet despite a little scare there was no harm done. Much like her mother, Leah is determined, and so after reeling in the next gar she did perfect. I love my littlest trooper and this captured memory is simply another cherished collectible from hopefully her lifetime of great fishing.

44_zpsddb5176d.jpg

46_zps5195e280.jpg

47_zps10387040.jpg

48_zpsf90d98f7.jpg

49_zps680aabe5.jpg

45_zps7c329fcb.jpg

And so with all the gartillery fired, the garsenal emptied, the white flag waving in peace, and "A Fifty Gar Salute," this 2013 season of battling with the awesome and giant gar is officially laid to rest...

50_zpsf1227874.jpg

Bunk.

Edited by Moosebunk

wow, do I need a library card to read all that

I had to take break

Day just to write today minus lunch and an oil change... thunderstorm, pouring rain... lost a chunk when the power went out too... and you Terry need the break?

Get back to it bud, I threw some stuff in there for yer learnin's 'bout gars finching. :tease:

You do know,that when you posts these trips,you piss off the 40-60 hr a week worker right? :wallbash: Guys that get maybe the saturday and sunday,hell maybe even the sunday only,to get out to fish. :worthy: Like were all reading a fishing magazine sorta speak. Man wish I could do that.

Yes we all choose our path. You sir,chose the right one. :canadian:respect.

Another 15 years,I might get to do a 3-4 day fishing trip. LOL

Great report Drew. Truly enjoyed it.

:canadian::canadian::canadian::canadian::canadian::Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

,,, And a better tittle then 50 Shades of Gar. :whistling:

That is a good one though Rob, for sure. I can see it in the future, photos all in B&W and really provactive poses. Big girls only and all over 50 again. :clapping: Some hot stuff man!

Thanks again as always guys. Photos were a real process in this one, just hacking them down to favorites from a big selection. A very cool fish to get those "in nature" or face shots of.

You do know,that when you posts these trips,you piss off the 40-60 hr a week worker right? :wallbash: Guys that get maybe the saturday and sunday,hell maybe even the sunday only,to get out to fish. :worthy: Like were all reading a fishing magazine sorta speak. Man wish I could do that. Yes we all choose our path. You sir,chose the right one. :canadian:respect.

You are surely right that not all will like the endless stream of fishing reports. No silver spoon up this arse though as some readers might wonder, those 40 to 60 hour (even 80 hour) work weeks I did in early career, while isolated in places few in my profession will even consider working. Ten years of it to create whatever benefits possible for today. Shorter thirty hour shift-work weeks now, and plenty time to fish is one good result, yet still the job in ER can be taxing in other ways, so having the release of fishing 2 or 3 times a week is balance. Didn’t find it Brian, created it. Have thought a time about writing articles again, or even guiding for work, but have a hard time tainting the fishing ways presently enjoyed, some ways that are actually work in sense as well... Wouldn’t trade this fishing life I don't think, it works well. Although truth is, have dealt with some hate unto me and still have a little in me to give because of it. Learned that jealousy and hate with some people is simply a reflection of their own shortcomings, and I am not immune to suffering that same illness at times... But on these sites for me it’s really just show and tell it how it is man, a little kid playground ego, and yet also a pride in personal craft and even a giving back in some manner. Maybe get some good in return to come from the efforts. It’s that way with many others online too... and if there are actually people who truly can’t see that in a positive way for whatever their reason, then I guess let them be pissed off, jealous, or maybe even haters, because it’s not up to me or anyone else in this place to fix them, ya know?

Appreciated that response Brian, got me thinking. A good one for sure and thanks again as always bud. When you get those 3 or 4 days sometime, think about checking in with me dood.

This post is just sick! Again, you catch stupid fish!!! insane.

Your pics are nasty too! Your solo pics are better than my pics when I am behind the camera!!

(sick, stupid, insane and nasty = awesome(before I get flamed)) And I just put parentheses in parentheses. Good for me.