Frustration with Hydro

Bernie

About a month ago I heard there was a power outage in the area of the cottage.

I understood it had been restored.

I was talking to a friend who lives out on an island nearby today to find out how the ice conditions were and if he could give me a ride over in the airboat if the ice was still too thin to go out for New Years.

He mentioned that I should verify if I had electricity first as there were still some cottages without power. Apparently there is a break in an underwater cable.

So after searching the website and looking to find a phone number I dialed in.

Got the regular hit 1 hit 2 deal, then enter phone number at address. It kept coming up with the wrong address. Frustration #1.

So I then look for a number with a real person to talk to.

Still, hit 1 hit 2....then finally, someone live. Tell them what I'm looking for.....hold please.....dum dee dum dum.....

OK, some one answers. Tell them my story. "Sorry sir, that address was an old one and not updated...."

"No sir, you do not have hydro. It is listed as being restored by February 15, 2013."

( I wonder at this point how they will fix it with ice over the cable). Frustration #2.

I ask if Hydro will not be sending me a bill for services not rendered.

"Yes sir, you will continue to be billed, but not for hydro used" (Obviously)

I ask if I will be billed for delivery. (somehow I know the answer already)

"Yes sir, you will continue to be billed delivery" Frustration #3.

Knowing the person answering my questions is not responsible for this I make a quick comment about it and thank her for looking it up.

I am so ready to go solar/wind at this point.

Does anybody really dislike hydromuchlessthanone as much as me right now?

I would have them escalate your concerns about not having power for months.

I certainly would not expect to have to pay them a red cent and would expect concessions from them for the unreasonablely long outage.

If they don't want to do anything for you I would spend the $$$ on a soalr/wind system with a generator for backup and tell them to hit the road!!! :(

Im sure youll fare out ok when you notify them of their responsibility to replace the perishables in your freezers and the hydro operated alarm system that didnt notify you when you were broken into and had everything stolen :whistling:

yes hydro run has run out of hydro the past few days around here and it comes and goes at the most inconvenient times

Bernie, I've got a client building a cottage in the Parry Sound area that is going off the grid completely. He has 2 large solar panels with a battery setup that will run everything he NEEDS, not wants. How much power you generate depends on how deep you go into your pocket. As for Hydro, I would give them a REAL hard time over charging you for no service. Call your lawyer on this. They may be trying to just bully you. And I think your fridge at the coTtage is done, they will buy you a new one.

You'll have to investigate your load demand, before going alternate sources.

I can't tell you how much it costs to run a 4 slice toaster, electric oven, dryer, etc.. on alternate sources.

Inverters are expensive, batteries only last about 10 years, or less.

If you use Propane for everything but the 4 slice toaster, it can be somewhat reasonable.

I feel for you Bernie. It's not even worth banging your head against the wall for these kinds of things. Here's a thought, you have so many friends/relatives sharing your piece of paradise several times a year. I think many would step up to help you through this one. That would be great. :)

Can you suspend service for the winter and then pay a restart fee cheaper than what they are billing you? I would also consider when you get the bill with zero movement and a service report for down power in circumstances beyond your control might get you a refund.

Art

The more I think about it, the more I want to go to alternative energy.

Last summer, just for fun I hooked up a small solar panel to a battery and used it to power a small water pump capable of a 30 ft head to fill a barrel for watering the garden.

It worked quite well.

It got me thinking that if this barrel was mounted up about 10 ft higher it would also work for all my water supply.

We managed to keep our propane fill station (after doing all the legal wrangling) so propane is easily available.

So eliminating the water pump, electric water heater, electric stove and the fridge the power demand would be greatly reduced.

Having the knowledge and tools, I think I could make a wind generator (it would be fun to do anyway), hook up some solar stuff and away we go.

The more I think about it, the more I want to go to alternative energy.

Last summer, just for fun I hooked up a small solar panel to a battery and used it to power a small water pump capable of a 30 ft head to fill a barrel for watering the garden.

It worked quite well.

It got me thinking that if this barrel was mounted up about 10 ft higher it would also work for all my water supply.

We managed to keep our propane fill station (after doing all the legal wrangling) so propane is easily available.

So eliminating the water pump, electric water heater, electric stove and the fridge the power demand would be greatly reduced.

Having the knowledge and tools, I think I could make a wind generator (it would be fun to do anyway), hook up some solar stuff and away we go.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind Bernie. Flip hydro the bird and go have some fun tinkering around :thumbsup_anim:

If I had the option at my cottage I'd love to explore going off the grid.

I would think an island, situated in a good spot would do extremely well with solar and wind power generation. I'd have a big pig for the propane fridge, stove and back up generator.

Kinda OT but I read that an idea being researched was using peak solar and wind to store compressed air or whatever which would then be used to spin the turbines for power gen during off hours or as required. No need for batteries to store the power. Doesn't sound like a feasible idea for single home use though.

A guy at work has a cottage on an island and he is hydro free. He also has minimal propane usage. He has 4 big solar panels, electric fridge, and a few small solars for this and that. He doesnt have much other than lights and a small led tv and a backup gen for the cloudy weeks when the sun doesn't run the fridge it was costing him a lot to keep the fridge on propane. So do your math. Lots of people are off the grid.

Edited by jedimaster

Sounds like a fight to me Bernie. I would be all over them in a heartbeat!! Get on the horn and escalate the call to a manager. I have done this many times and have succeeded many many times. Last one being Onstar :clapping: Want me to call for you? :devil:

Edited by Squid

if you don't feel like fussing around on the phone, it's $75 to file a small claims lawsuit, you can sue anyone or any entity, and you can recoup the original $75 spent too

PM me if you want some info., I've done stuff this before, it's easier and less stressful than phone calls and fighting

Well Bernie, whatever I can do to help you out just let me know. I think we can get an old stationary bike and hook it up to a generator to charge the batteries, Joe would love to pedal all day I'm sure. lol!

It's not like I ever leave the cottage anyway! I wonder if I can play Brown Eyed Girl while riding a bike?!

HH