grackle problem

Hopefully you can muster up the courage and perseverance to stick it out through this very difficult time. We all know how horrifying it can be to witness grackles eating freshly laid grass seed. :P :P :P :P

Hang in there buddy.

Hopefully you can muster up the courage and perseverance to stick it out through this very difficult time. We all know how horrifying it can be to witness grackles eating freshly laid grass seed. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Hang in there buddy.

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Love ya man !!!!!rofl2.gif

On a more serious note, you can get some fine mesh similar to what they use on a driving range, and suspend it from tent poles over the entire yard, until the grass starts to grow. Make sure that all birds and cats are off your proprty before laying the mesh in place, or you will have an awful mess to clean up.

You can thank me laterwhistling.gif

Try using a fake owl that you can buy at homehardware/canadian tire. Basically just a plastic owl you can sit anywhere and the grackles are terrified of it here! Goodluck!

X2

You can buy those cheap pin-wheels from the dollar store and stick them in the ground, they work too. My neighbor hung some shiny "chinese lantern" type thing from a wire crossing his driveway. Apparently if it is in their flight path then they will not fly there. Looked stupid but his driveway and truck were no longer getting pooped on.

Also over-seed your yard. They won't eat it all and you will still end up with a nice lawn.

Birds love sprinklers so you will probably attract more than you scare. As for fake owl's............I put one up a few years ago, it worked for a few days and then when they figured it out they used it as a pooping perch, it was completely white in a week. 60% peat moss, 40% top soil and rake the seed into it lightly and water it twice a day usually works. Buy good seed it pays off.

I had a woodpecker banging away on my satellite dish all yesterday afternoon....I guess woodpeckers aren't too bright....and no matter how many times I chased him away, he came back.

Finally I got the hose out and turned it on him and never saw him again.

I had a woodpecker banging away on my satellite dish all yesterday afternoon....I guess woodpeckers aren't too bright....and no matter how many times I chased him away, he came back.

Finally I got the hose out and turned it on him and never saw him again.

Having the same problem here.... nieghbour 2 doors down... everyday woody is there bashing away on their dish.... ugh :stretcher:

You can cover with straw also it will keep the birds from the seed and might be cheaper. I use bottle rockets with report to get rid of the birds here. I am not sure if/how hard it is to get up North.

Art

Nothing a stick of dynamite can't cure........ooops, was I thinking out loud again ? :w00t:

I like the idea of hosing them with a fast jet of water. Won't kill 'em, but you'll certainly deliver the message clearly.....and cleanly. :D

If that doesn't work, you'll find an air rifle is an amazing tool for preventing bird poop.

Grackles are very smart birds...kill one or two and they get the message pretty quick....starlings tick me off more, emptying the bird feeder in record time...needless to say they stick to the feeder next door and leave mine alone...

Grackles are very smart birds...kill one or two and they get the message pretty quick....

exactly. i grew up shooting grackles as an early teen and it doesn't take long for them to learn which areas to avoid after seeing their buddy drop to the ground :thumbsup_anim:

their breast meat is dark and tastes great when lightly seasoned and fried in butter...

just because they are 'unprotected' doesn't mean you can just start shooting.

"technically" you need a snall game licencse to hunt these speices, and all associated permits.

its unlikely with a burlington address you live in a neighborhood that allows discharge of firearms of any kind.

of course, its unlikely you'd be the first young fella with a pellet gun to settle a score in this fashion. lots goes on when no one is looking. your neighbours have cars too..