live mice ok for bait?

Years ago I was told how to fish for musky. Pretty much just the same as your asking about.

He said you tie a line to a cedar shingle and rig your fishing line up to a live mouse, he would tie several hooks onto a rig on the mouse and then float it out onto the water, pull the line tied to the shingle from under the mouse and let it swim. BAM musky on!

Not endorsing this or ever tried it, never wanted to fish this way. Cruel? Don't know, it's a mouse, you decide for yourself. Guess at one time in our past this was common although these days someone would call the SPCA on you. I would rather throw a rubber mouse if one at all.

I get pissed when guys want to use live frogs. I'd smack ya in the head with an oar if you tied on a mouse.

Why are live minnows...leetches...worms... Acceptable bait and not frogs...or mice...?

Just curious...

Personally...I could never use a mouse... But I've tried a frog when I was younger...

I believe what you read was a joke... you cannot use live mice/hamsters etc... as live bait. it's a no no...

Planking as it's called is also a no no...

Frogs work great and are allowed.

HH

PS... Lew's method has it's merits!

In his book The Art Of Angling, Tiny Bennett writes about a guy using a live mouse to catch a huge resident brown from a fairly small river in southern Ontario. Fish allegedly weighed 14 pounds.

In the far north it's quite common for brook trout to eat mice, moles, and lemmings. Basically anything that falls in the water is food.

Personally, I draw the line at putting small mammals on a hook. But I would imagine a live mouse would work quite well.

You could tie it "hair-rig" style so if it doesn't get eaten it could be released.

...but it might drown, or get thumped against the boatstretcher.gif

I couldn't bring myself to stabbing a mouse but I wouldn't necessarily judge someone for doing it.

In his book The Art Of Angling, Tiny Bennett writes about a guy using a live mouse to catch a huge resident brown from a fairly small river in southern Ontario. Fish allegedly weighed 14 pounds.

Great, there goes my best kept secret. whistling.gif

If you strung a few mini marshmallows around the mouse's chest for a PFD I think you'd have the best of both worlds and the mouse would stay alive a lot longer!! (Seriously, though, I've used frogs once but couldn't do it again. Why it's OK to do minnows I could't tell you. All subjective I guess).

He wasn't that tiny. I'd guess 6-foot-6 and pushing 300 pounds. Wonderful man, but not an elegant sight in waders, let me tell you.

You're dating yourself Craig, I suppose any who don't know who Tiny Bennet is wouldn't remember the Toronto Telegram either. :whistling: