times have been tough, ofc to the rescue

Hey All,

Well I guess it's true what they say, life kicks you when your down. I blew out my shoulder 3 weeks ago and things were looking bad for me, lost my chance to play in a baseball tournament against many great teams from across north america.

So I got a text message from my dad last week. He had finally heard from the heart surgeon in London and after waiting over a year for much needed/life saving surgery he was scheduled to have it in September. A huge relief to him and my mom. Things were looking up.

The yesterday at about 2pm I get a frantic call from my mom saying that dad wasn't feeling well and he went to the family doctor. Dad's heart has been out of whack for 15 yrs, but its recently gotten really bad. So I picked him up and brought him home. He flat out refused to go to the hospital because he was tired of waiting 4-8 hrs to see the doctor who would just send him home.

So, after much coaxing I got him to the hospital. Thank god. He was so stubborn he refused to sit down. So he got himself a bottle of water because he was thirsty.

Then it started, his mind left him, he had the 1000 mile start, mouth gaped open and he collapsed. I was lucky I was there to grab him. I was even luckier that my best friends fiancee in a nurse at the hospital and she was right there when he fell. So he was brought in right away.

It was tough to watch and tough to deal with. His mind was gone and all of his strength was gone. It still is.

He was transferred to another hospital, but right now he's talking and can walk. Slowly. He's still confused and unable to remember most things. He's tough as nails and is worried about getting home because he has work to do.

The emergency room docs think he had a stroke but the doctor up here at the stroke centre isn't sure because his weakness is on both sides.

I wanted to bang out a thread last night as I paced my living room from 10-2am but I figured I'd let my brain settle.

Its hard not to think of the worst and what's gonna happen.

Thanks for listening.

I wish all the best for your father. The staff, for the most part, do an excellent job in the emergency rooms. The fact that your father is talking about going home I would take as a good sign, however if he needs an operation he will get it faster if he is already hospitalized.

All the best to your Dad and the family Dave.

Been on a reel roller caster ride with my mom over the past year with her heart. Several trips to the hospital, 2 last week of which one was to put in a defibrillator/pacemaker in, it seems to be helping her. Hopefully they can fix your Dad up and get him back to being himself real soon. As Sinclair said,

Walking and talking is VERY good.

I've been dealing with some serious issues with my Dad. It's very very hard, I don't know how old your Dad is, but ill tell you this. Sometimes its important to remember a few things. #1 - some things will just not get better. It sucks to say it, but the sooner realized the better. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. #2 Suffering on his behalf, won't solve anything and he wouldn't want you to anyway. The best way to take care of him is to make sure your taking care of yourself. That way you have the strength both mentally and physically to do whats right and what needs to be done. I didnt do that for a while, and it nearly put and end to me as well.

It's taken me 4 months of thinking non stop about his situation to come to those conclusions... although there are days I still slip.

I hope things work out well for you and your Dad.

All the best wishes for your Dad Dave.The greatest gift we can give to our parents, is to just be there when they need us. Sounds to me like you are there for them Dave.That will make all the differance in the world.

Paul

Thanks guys, it was heart breaking to watch him work with the occupational therapist....he's a shell of what he once was

Man, these words hit home for me pal.

I watched my Dad slowly fade away over a year.

If I could share any of my experience it would be that I began to mourn while he was still here. Wish I would have of focused more on cherishing the time he was... there is lots of time to mourn. Enjoy every moment you can.

Positive thoughts your way.

Edited by Harrison

Wish all of the best for your dad, and a quick recovery. Good to know that he has a son that acts against his stubbornness, and that the incident occurred at the hospital. Moments like that are critical to get immediate attention. You can look back on how you stressed about the results of your shoulder injury. It isn't so bad compared to the things that are happening around you. All the best

TJ my dad is turning 64 and over the last year he has aged 20yrs...over the last few weeks he's been bad. Thanks for the kind works guys, it means alot

I was in the same situation last year, it's extremely hard to see your father struggle like that and change so quickly. I hope your dad has a full recovery, it's good news that he's talking and wanting to get back to his normal life.

I hope all goes well for your Dad.

Sadly, it eventually happens to us all. We watch the decline in out loved one's health, and are powerless to stop it. In time our loved ones will look on as we suffer that same fate.

Positive thoughts for you and your family Dave. I hope your Dad makes a full recovery and lives many more years to come. Take note of TJ's words - very true. Watching my Dad fade through Alzheimers almost ripped our family apart as I tried to do what could not be done. Luckily I realised the affect it was having and changed the tack before it was too late.