larger motor than boat calls for

skinny

The transom may handle it fine, max coat guard ratings are determined via a formula that take length and width into account, the problem you may run into is that structurally the boat was not built to run that fast and therefore may =loose rivots, cracks etc in the hull.

In Canada there is no requirement to abide by the Max HP rating on the boat.

There is also no requirement in Canada to have insurance on a boat, although it's like playing russian roulette with 3 bullets in the gun. w00t.gif

Tim, Wayne has described my feelings about it bud.She runs great on the 40 hp.thumbsup_anim.gif

In Canada there is no requirement to abide by the Max HP rating on the boat.

There is also no requirement in Canada to have insurance on a boat, although it's like playing russian roulette with 3 bullets in the gun. :w00t:

Really,what the heck are they used for then lol! we had a guy from our club that had to have the tag changed by the manufactur before he could use his boat or get any insurance on it, maybe it was the insurance factor, i see skinnys point about the weight, but man the torque thats going to inflict on that transome is going to be the insane, skinny god luck and let us know how you make out! Man i hope that boats not a tracker.......!lol

It’s not just the transom but the bow that’s also going to take a beating. Max horse power also means limiting the boats speed and the amount of pounding the bow will have to take.

Believe me I’ve been there; when I stuck a 40 on a12 footer. Man did she come up on plain in a hurry and all was going well, until I hit about a 2 foot wave dead on and then the boat got real directional all of a sudden? I mean the thing would dive in the direction you were attempting to go to; didn’t dare sneeze or you be going the opposite direction. Didn’t know what happened until I loaded the boat back on the trailer. You know how the bow usually bellies out from the centre line; well this one was now bellied in; I mean it looked like a highway snow plow the V type.

I don’t think anyone could have bent it in more precisely then what that wave and speed did. It also took one heck of a lot of pounding to get it somewhat back in shape; let alone welding in webbing to hold it there.

Dan.

Skinny when you overpower a boat some work just fine and some are immposible to drive and dangerous .The max hp ratings are kinda all over the place my boat is rated max 125hp but lund makes several 17'6" that are rated for 150hp :dunno: my boats longer and the same width but lower HP rating and some 16'ers are rated for 75hp so 80 isn't that insane but I definately wouldn't put a 250hp on my boat :blink:

And to keep things interesting, my last boat was a 1650 Crestliner with 2 different horsepower ratings with both indicated on the capacity plate of the boat.

U.S. Coast Guard rated the boat for 90 HP, which it had, but Canadian Coast Guard only rated it for 50 HP.

I called CCG and was told Canada always under rated the maximum power but didn't know why. He did say though, that if I exceeded the 50 HP rating and had an at fault accident with the boat, I would probably have a hard time getting the insurance company to pay any $$$$.

And to keep things interesting, my last boat was a 1650 Crestliner with 2 different horsepower ratings with both indicated on the capacity plate of the boat.U.S. Coast Guard rated the boat for 90 HP, which it had, but Canadian Coast Guard only rated it for 50 HP.

And boy does that boat fly with that 90. I was totally impressed how it kept up to you Lew. :whistling:

it does work good but this is newer motor merc 80hp so yes lots bigger I know but like i said no need to go to full out

i was thinking it being lighter would be better too

Put king kong bundy on the front to keep the bow down, also old motors had their hp ratings at the powerhead, newer motors are rated at the prop

I'm having trouble imagining an 80 horse Merc being light than a 40 horse anything. Mercury only manufactured 80hp units between 1960 and 1989. So your "newer/lighter" engine is between 22 and 51 years old. That is a heavy motor. I would not take a chance.

I'm having trouble imagining an 80 horse Merc being light than a 40 horse anything. Mercury only manufactured 80hp units between 1960 and 1989. So your "newer/lighter" engine is between 22 and 51 years old. That is a heavy motor. I would not take a chance.

I can see it, the 40 is a 1962 I believe.

the 40 hp is a 66 but looks the same as my 61 spare I have too

the 80 hp will be prob a test run and sell I'm thinking or maybe it will be saved for a new hull (in my dreams)

the story I got on the 80 is that the bottom end was removed to do impeller and a bolt got broke so it never got put back together i ckecked and it has a new impeller. Still havn't found the broken bolt (haven't looked much) the power head turns over. pulled the plugs and loaded it full of 2stroke oil (no real clue as to how long it sat). She will smoke alot when she starts but been there before.

I keep this up and I'm going to look like a outboard shop

curently have

59 gale 12hp (needs coils)

12hp elto (parts motor for gale)

18hp Nissian (for sale)

62 9.8 merc (needs check valves for fuel pump )

61 evenude 40 man shift (just got running needs carb clean)

66 rude 40 electric shift (incurent use on boat)

80hp merc in basket now

the 40 hp is a 66 but looks the same as my 61 spare I have too

the 80 hp will be prob a test run and sell I'm thinking or maybe it will be saved for a new hull (in my dreams)

the story I got on the 80 is that the bottom end was removed to do impeller and a bolt got broke so it never got put back together i ckecked and it has a new impeller. Still havn't found the broken bolt (haven't looked much) the power head turns over. pulled the plugs and loaded it full of 2stroke oil (no real clue as to how long it sat). She will smoke alot when she starts but been there before.

I keep this up and I'm going to look like a outboard shop

curently have

59 gale 12hp (needs coils)

12hp elto (parts motor for gale)

18hp Nissian (for sale)

62 9.8 merc (needs check valves for fuel pump )

61 evenude 40 man shift (just got running needs carb clean)

66 rude 40 electric shift (incurent use on boat)

80hp merc in basket now

As long as there not stored on your front lawn that`s cool!!! :jerry: