larger motor than boat calls for

skinny

ok I have a 16ft starcraft tiler i have been runing a old heavy 40hp this is the max size the hull is rated for.I just aquired another motor (needs work) but it's a larger hp rating . the bigger motor is lighter than the old one.

i'm thinking of runing the bigger motor cause i don't have to run full out.

what issues might I encounter

the merc weights less than the old evinrude that I have hanging of it now (yes I checked it) So the weight issue sould be ok.

just toying with the idea maybe it will be only to test out the 80

Will the stern handle the thrust from an 80 hp?

Tempting as it can be, i would pass on it bud.

You can always toy around with an 80 hp waterbugwhistling.gif

Starcrafts are a good boat. Give er a spin, just not W.O.T. from the get go. Experiment with placement of weight, if it has potential. Also play with the motor settings. Tweek everything,and if you like it, giver gas man. Just remember tethers, and a good P.F.D. I know this kinda stuff isn't for everybody, but I gotta thing for speed too.

The problem is the maxium h.p rating on the tag on the boat, if the police, mnr pull you over and see a 80 h.p on a 16 ft tiller guarantee they will check, as well as if you have a accident, and no insurance, if the boat is registered and 16 footer i,m sure by law it has to have at least liability insurance.

any motor can be a tiller you just need to add a handel

I take it that means the 80 hp is not a tiller and your just gunna slap a handel on it, gunna slap a set of throttle cables on it too?

I say go for it :thumbsup_anim: just make sure you do the following:

Have a camera boat following you taking video so when the torque rips the transom apart and you sink you have something to send America`s Funniest maybe some coin in it for you.

Don`t have your family in the boat with you, make sure your insurance is paid up! :stretcher: