Boat in driveway ... preventing theft

krawler

Bought a house recently in Toronto. The house has no garage but the space to build one and in the meantime i will be keeping my boat on the driveway. what can i do to prevent someone from stealing my boat, plain and simple. It is in direct view of the road so any thief could see it quite easily.

Anyone use a tire lock? If so, where did u get it?

Thanks

go to an industrial supplier and get a 1/2 or better load choker and a big master lock through the wheel and around the trailer and lock it might also want to get a tounge lock as well not going to be cheap but its all relative.

peter

Hi Krawler,

I have an extra wheel lock and tongue lock available, you can take both for $20 if you want them. They served me well keeping my boat safe over the last 5 years in my driveway... I'm moving next week and my new place has a double garage for my boat :)

PM me your number if interested and we can set it up.

Do you have a dog? Anyone gets close to my boat, and the dog is all over them. Not to attack, he just wants to go with the boat every time it leaves the driveway LOL.

Seriously though, a good dog will deter most thefts on your property. I have a lab that would only lick you to death, but he will bark if you come on our property un invited every time. Works like a charm.

S.

short term the best tongue lock ive come across is the Gorilla lock @ around 40$. the chain thru the wheels is good, but from personal experience i can tell ya its quite easy to pull a boat and trailer with the chain on :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

you would be able to catch the thief by following the thick trail of rubber down the road.

longer term remove the coupling or wheels as mentioned earlier.

a moat and sharks with lasers are also a possiblility, check local bylaws first.

my trailer had the tongue lock the ball lock and chain through the wheels

and parked behind a fence

they hooked a chain on it and dragged it thought the fence it hit a tree bounced off my truck and up onto a tilt bed truck..took less then a minute and they were gone..........

if they really want it the only safe thing is lot of good full replacement insurance

It's downright pitiful that we have to even worry about our stuff like this just to keep some punk from taking things that we work so hard to pay for.

I was just talking to my wife about this recently, telling her how I've got my receiver locked to the truck, then I lock the trailer onto the receiver, plus I've got the spare wheel chained & padlocked to the trailer, all 4 trailer wheels have McGuard locks and so does my stainless prop.

Won't stop a thief but may at least slow him down a bit.

Maybe if our poor excuse for a justice system would actually start punishing these creeps we wouldn't have to worry so much. :angry:

Here’s what I’ve made up for a ball lock; it also serves as a tongue locator, when I’m hooking up the trailer by myself.

I've also tack welded the trailer’s coupler’s ball adjusting nut, so that it cannot be undone and allow the ball to be removed.

I figured that if the coupler needed adjusting after the initial adjustment, then it’s worn out and needs replacing anyway.

Dan.

Ball Lock 001.jpg

Ball Lock 002.jpg

Ball Lock 003.jpg

Bought a house recently in Toronto. The house has no garage but the space to build one and in the meantime i will be keeping my boat on the driveway. what can i do to prevent someone from stealing my boat, plain and simple. It is in direct view of the road so any thief could see it quite easily.

Anyone use a tire lock? If so, where did u get it?

Thanks

Unfortunately, with GTA bylaws and maybe a snotty neighbour or two, the boat might not last long in the driveway. Hopefully you are fortunate.

As far as security/theft deterrant, I have a surveillance camera/system and the best available insurance (thanks to Mrs. Slayer). As stated, if someone is determined to take your boat, they will. Make sure you have appropriate coverage.

Slayer

As Paul always says, locks are only there to keep the honest people from stealing your stuff. A thief will get it no matter what deterrent you put on.

As has been said above, make sure you have proper insurance coverage, put a few locks on and hope for the best.

It's downright pitiful that we have to even worry about our stuff like this just to keep some punk from taking things that we work so hard to pay for.

I was just talking to my wife about this recently, telling her how I've got my receiver locked to the truck, then I lock the trailer onto the receiver, plus I've got the spare wheel chained & padlocked to the trailer, all 4 trailer wheels have McGuard locks and so does my stainless prop.

Won't stop a thief but may at least slow him down a bit.

Maybe if our poor excuse for a justice system would actually start punishing these creeps we wouldn't have to worry so much. :angry:

I hear ya Lew! It is sad. I long for the days when "Semi-Automatic" theft deterrent devices are acceptable!

As Paul always says, locks are only there to keep the honest people from stealing your stuff. A thief will get it no matter what deterrent you put on.

My Dad use to say the same thing.

Locks, out of sight out of mind - if possible and the best insurance coverage you can afford.

In addition some or all of the ideas mentioned previously, put up a decal or sign that states an alarm and GPS tracking device has been installed on the boat and trailer. Or go even further and actually do it.

The worst part to me is having to remove all the accessories (like down riggers, fish finder, stereo, etc....) everytime you park it since these can easily be swiped and re-installing it all when you are heading out again.

so far cameras have saved my stuff(after my atv was stolen) then I installed them

the ir lights really show up

I had to 2 guys walk up to my fence and point at my boat..one of them looked up and saw the camera/ir lights and said fudge a camera is pointed at us and pointed at the camera and they ran away.......film at 11...

so far cameras have saved my stuff(after my atv was stolen) then I installed them

the ir lights really show up

I had to 2 guys walk up to my fence and point at my boat..one of them looked up and saw the camera/ir lights and said fudge a camera is pointed at us and pointed at the camera and they ran away.......film at 11...

I don't think they said "fudge" :whistling: Any recommendations for a camera set up?

I bought a q-see package that used a pci card in your computer to do the viewing and recording and 4 cameras and cabling

the cameras were not so good so I started bidding on ebay for better cameras....2 I got for a buck....and 19.99 shipping.....

I now have to cards in the puter and 8 cameras..it's over kill but I have fun with them...cops used them twice now to help catch people

I would love to get a PTZ camera

I helped set up a wireless camera and it worked a lot better then I thought it would

Here’s what I’ve made up for a ball lock; it also serves as a tongue locator, when I’m hooking up the trailer by myself.

I've also tack welded the trailer’s coupler’s ball adjusting nut, so that it cannot be undone and allow the ball to be removed.

I figured that if the coupler needed adjusting after the initial adjustment, then it’s worn out and needs replacing anyway.

Dan.

Good idea on welding the adjuster nut.

First, get a StealShield (click here for a web link). It's sort of like a steel enclosure that locks over the trailer coupler, making it impossible to hook up. Simple idea, and it works very well. You can buy these at many marine supply stores.

Second, run a very thick chain through the wheel spokes and around the trailer frame, making it impossible/difficult to tow. Secure the chain with a very high quality, tamper-resistant padlock.

Finally, lock your outboard to the transom. If it uses clamps, have them replaced with through-bolts, and cover those with some McGuard wheel nut locks (click here) ... the same ones you use to protect high-end rims on your car.

You can't stop a pro thief - if someone wants the boat badly enough, they will find a way. But at the very least you can make it so difficult to steal it that they give up and go looking for easier prey. Further, by documenting that you took these steps, you will have an easier time with your insurance company if it ever did go missing.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

WOW!! Thanks for the help fellas, i have a bit of research to do. I like the camera system, whether it be fake or not, a worthwhile investment. I plan on getting the tire lock and coupler lock as well. And i will be double checking my insurance policy.

thanks