Karma... it is a three way street correct?

irishfield

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I posted good news a week or so back, but here we are again. I've lost track of what "chapter" this is. Leah had picked Jen up in the city last Tuesday and she was very slow to get going and in the truck. Not unusual for her, but this time something just wasn't right. Over the past 3 or 4 days Jen has gone downhill quickly and lost most of the motor control of her right side. Arm especially, but her "unattached" leg isn't working that well either. She's had a few arm seizures over the past month or so and Sunnybrook had already upped her anti-seizure meds after the first one happened. Jen was already scheduled for an MRI on Oct 21st and a Dr consult on Oct 29th, and figured she could stick it out until those dates. With the rapid regressive nature of her mobility the past few days and the "not a hope in hell" of climbing stairs to bed last night (a first through all this) She decided this morning to cry Uncle and to go to the hospital. We ran her all the way back to the city, to Sunnybrook Emerg today (Sunday Oct 12th). Spent over 8 hours there, including a CT with contrast and by 9 pm tonight we learned that she has a new tumour on the left side of her brain that is causing the pressure to shut her right side down.This thing has grown in less than 2.5 months, as there was nothing there on July 23rd, and it's 5cm (2 inches) in diameter. The only thing that is remotely good about this one is that it appears to be on the outside of her brain and not in it, but they won't know for sure until they get in there. With a resident neuro consult in emerg, some phone calls to his "boss" and conference calls, it was decided that she will go back to St. Michaels's for surgery. Dr. Spears will do a third craniotomy on Jen, as it was felt he was the best person to do it... knowing just what he's done in the past. Jen was discharged from Sunnybrook Emerg about 9:50pm. We then spent almost 2 hours trying to fill her prescriptions on a Sunday night of a long weekend. 3 Shoppers Drug Marts. 1st one on Bayview closed 2 minutes before we arrived, and the next 2 pharmacists barely spoke English at Young and Eglington and Eglington Square. 2nd store only had 1 of 3 scripts and of course all were written on the same paper. The 3rd store questioned the script, thinking Leah was a drug dealer, and wouldn't fill them until they got a hold of the neuro that wrote it. Good luck with that, he'd only come in to see Jen specifically and had already left. Jen and I were taking bets on whether Leah would come out with drugs by midnight, without drugs by midnight or that we'd have to pick her up at the local police station for assaulting a pharmacist and post bail for her to get her out. We are back home as of 1:40AM.... THANKS Shoppers Drug Mart, you cost us almost 2 hours! We finally got food into us all, for the first time since breakfast, at 11:50 PM just before the closet Subway to the Shoppers closed. Surgery may happen as early as Tuesday coming. We are to have her back in the city and at Dr. Spears clinic for 8am Tuesday morning with no food after midnight. Suggesting he's going to do an MRI and get her in for surgery that day if possible. With St. Mike's you never know, one helicopter on the roof can bump an entire day of scheduled surgeries. Think good thoughts and we'll update when we can. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving dinner, with Kristal (our youngest) taking the apron and preparing for 9 people. Then some pumpkin carving with the 22 rifle, for a little bit of fun before what comes next.

Edited by irishfield

Wayne, She'll knock this one out as well!

I'm also sorry to hear about the increase need of anti seizure meds. I'm sure, compared to what she's been through, this isn't a big deal....but man, they aren't fun!

I'm hoping Carbamazepine/Tegretal is an option as opposed to Dilantin.