I almost hate to ask this.

Big Cliff

I almost hate to ask this but to be honest it has been bothering me for a week now.

Do the words in English "Good morning, any luck?" even translate into something rude in any Asian language?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here or anything but here is the situation and I do truly want to understand.

last weekend I managed to sneek out for one of my rare fishing trips Sunday morning. I went to an area that I haven't fished before but thought might hold some fish. When I got there (this is a big open area) there was a canoe with three Asian looking men already fishing so I went about 300 yards past them and anchored.

A few minutes later they pulled up their anchor and came over my way and passed within about 20' of me. I smiled, waved, and asked said "Good morning, any luck?" They made some comments to each other in a language that I didn't understand and looked at me like I had two heads, ignored me and proceeded to drift fish around me for a while until I decided to leave.

This isn't a rant! I would really like to understand. It was a very uncomfortable feeling.

Cliff, they could have been green, purple or a rainbow but some people just don't get it when someone is being friendly. I had a 1 person inflatable with a 2HP motor on it pull right up beside me, my wife and kids (and yes my 6 year old could have cast and hit the boat) with 3 PEOPLE in it and only 1 with a life jacket! We pulled out of there moments after as we didn't want to deal with my kids casting stray lures.

Hmmmmm,

Seems kind of awkward for sure. There's a good chance they had NO IDEA what you said, but you'd still figure they would notice that you were being pleasant.

The fact they drift fished right around you is pretty rude. I suspect they were doing what my good old yellow lab loved to do - marking "their" territory. They could have been trying to check what you were using as well. :dunno:

I had a similar experience today when I went for some afternoon carping. I went to a resevoir for a few hours, sat on an empty rock wall that runs about 300 yards. Nobody was on it. An Asian couple comes along about 5 minutes later. The woman sits 10 feet to my left and the man walks behind me and starts taking pictures of my rig. Since I was just using corn, I didn't care. They were smiling and being pleasant despite not minding their own business and the situation was amicable - weird nonetheless. I am also sure they did not speak English, so communication is difficult.

RACISTS! (not you, the azn folk!)

:wallbash:

Really . . . already!

Cliff is asking for clarification, he's not looking for instigation (of any kind).

GBW - yep, they could have been any colour, but in this specific case they're Asian.

I agree though, there are igornamuses among all races and demographics and even species (I had a run in with a jerk turtle the other day).

Now to all of you, on a brighter note, go check out my Poll Bass thread that I posted today - it's giving me fits trying to decide whether it's the same fish or not! ( :spam: )

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

The rudest fisherman I have encountered have all been of European decent (Caucasians). I was fishing trent river from shore once and I asked the guy next to me, "any luck today?"... he turned to me muttered "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to fish"...

Not five minutes later I hooked into a solid walleye. As he saw me unhooking it, he asked "Since you are releasing it anyway, mind if I take that catch for dinner?".

I looked him right in the eyes with a huge smile on my face and said "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to fish", and I watched the fish swim back to the deep.

They probably didn't understand what you said and maybe they were new to the area and thought you are a seasoned angler and know the water. They probably cam closer to you because they thought maybe you have this knowledge and that you had to be on an exact location to catch fish. Who knows. Generally, most fishermen are friendly to me when I talk to them regardless of their ethnicity.

Sometimes it seems that people no matter what the conversation starter is will decide it is easier to not acknowledge the spoken greeting if they do not have the ability to continue it past the starting point. The Spanish speaking community down here are not all bi lingual and I am very limited in my Spanish so at times they will pretend to not hear me or chose to ignore my attempt of communication to prevent the awkwardness of the situation. I personally feel it is wrong not to say hello back and then smile and wave to any person no matter what the barriers are. It does not sound like this is the case for your situation but it is an easier to accept answer than they were being plain out right rude...

Art

The rudest fisherman I have encountered have all been of European decent (Caucasians). I was fishing trent river from shore once and I asked the guy next to me, "any luck today?"... he turned to me muttered "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to fish"...

aww bro im sorry.. i woulda been nicer if i had known it was you.. :angel:

Big cliff,years ago Ive work for and along side with chinese people.Its normal,esp if they dont know you!If you made them a small offering,a little fish you would toss in! Im sure they would treat you like a king.

Not much different than the 2 west european brokers we have,until one saw me at the lake one day(and I outfished him) and the other found out I love to fish.Guess what!2 new fishing buds and I gained a hell of a lot more respect at my new job(from word of mouth,and most drivers dont know me yet)!More than the guys thats been there for a while.

Gotta love it!

For sure it didn't matter to me where they were from and the only reason I mentioned that they were Asian was because sometimes words in one language can sound like something totally different in another language. It only bothered me because I was concerned that I might have unknowingly said something offensive to them. I did sort of wonder how they even got there and none of them seemed to understand even basic English or a smile and a nod even if they didn't understand the words.

I looked him right in the eyes with a huge smile on my face and said "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to fish", and I watched the fish swim back to the deep.

Love it!!!

Luck rhymes with another word that starts with an F... maybe that's what they thought you said to them!!!

rofl2.gif lucky you!

Kiddin aside!One Ive worked with still says it that way,while joking around!

I love buggin him!Thats what he says after he gives a discount at his restaurant!

No joke!

Pete, have your bro come by,I will prove itrofl2.gif !Too Funny!

Sorry,I just had to get that one out.Darn,Im craving chinese food nowwallbash.gif

Lucky Me!!!

Edited by vinnimon

"Not five minutes later I hooked into a solid walleye. As he saw me unhooking it, he asked "Since you are releasing it anyway, mind if I take that catch for dinner?".

don`t know how many times that happened to me? it`s a bass, catch and release? carp and sheep head I give away!

LOL dear old dad would get bent sometimes when I took the fish off the hook and slid it back in the water. "why did you do that?" it`s not like I was going to eat it? " I would have!" yes and you are capable of catching your own? us fishing together doesn`t entitle you to two limits? :whistling:

They're probably just a sour bunch. Nevermind them. I usually wave at other boats, but sometimes the Caucasian guys are too cool to wave back at the Asian guys in a canoe. :P

Quick Tip for people that fish in canoes though: A quick wave and smile usually will make big boats slow down and you won't be caught in too much wake.

Some folks are antisocial, some rude, some shy, some are afraid of striking up a conversation for many reasons.

Mind you when folks see the son coming over to chat and snoop they either run for the hills or put up barbed wire :P

Lots of people just don't want to share there little piece of paradise.

Well Cliff, let's see what's in store for the weekend. If I can, want to get out? We can test out the new bait... ;)

I would love to get out but I doubt I'll be doing any fishing for the next few weeks. I have to work this morning, company BBQ tonight, then Sue and I are away next weekend and the weekend after that. We'll have to work on something for September.

Cliff, there's nothing I can think of that would have been rude from you said. (in Cantonese or Japanese anyways)

In Cantonese: Good morning= joe sun (phonetic tranlation)

In Japanese: Good morning= O-hi-o

trophypikehunter already mentioned the Mandarin version.

Probably a couple of cranky anglers you came about.

Stan