I almost hate to ask this.

Big Cliff

I am speaking from anectdotal evidence here and on other things I have read.

Asian (in general, I don't know if it Chinese, Japanese or ??) are very superstitious and luck is viewed in their upbringing as a big thing. Think lucky numbers etc.

Perhaps they did take offense, maybe they construed your comment as saying they were unlucky, which would be a big deal to them.

A common phrase to us, may not be a common phrase to them. They may have never heard that phrase before.

There comments to each other indicates to me they understood what you said, but maybe didn't totally understand the intent of the words.

This is just my opinion and I would not expect you to change anything that you did in the situation.

Edited by Dutch

If I speak to someone and they don't reply I just go on about my business and don't give it a 2nd thought. Life's too much fun to worry about trivial matters.

If they ignored you Cliff, just chalk it up to their loss.

was it us? lol~ we take our canoe to some of the local lakes sometimes

don't think we've ignored any1 like that tho.. :whistling:

i think they just didn't understand what u were saying~ =]

Were you on Sturgeon Lake last Sunday morning in a red canoe, 3 males, an electric trolling motor? :dunno:

Perhaps they didn't understand and in light of some of the stuff that has gone down in the past, perhaps they didn't want to. I was just trying to be polite and friendly.

The only reason I asked the question is because I wanted to make sure I hadn't said something that could be construed as disrespectful without knowing I had done it and I trust my fellow OFNr's enough to tell me if I did.

Cliff - my question would be, based on their age, would you say they were G1 or G2 Canadian - i.e did they immigrate, or are they the kids of immigrants? If the former, I really doubt any ill was meant. If the latter, unfortunatley, they were just rude - and that is something that knows no borders. I do have some insights on this that I woud be happy to share in a pm, feel free to send me one if you want. I have been to China twice, and the culture is different, the language unbelieveabley difficult to learn ( which means for our is equally hard for them) and as for personal space - due to their population they have different feelings about this. I believe Shanghai has a population of some (36?) million.................Canada?

One thing I can tell you is the people I have met there have been some of the nicest most polite, and also some of the rudest and most ignorant - as has been the case in my times in England, the USA and Canada.

The rudest fisherman I have encountered have all been of European decent (Caucasians). I was fishing trent river from shore once and I asked the guy next to me, "any luck today?"... he turned to me muttered "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to fish"...

Not five minutes later I hooked into a solid walleye. As he saw me unhooking it, he asked "Since you are releasing it anyway, mind if I take that catch for dinner?".

I looked him right in the eyes with a huge smile on my face and said "I'm not here to talk, I'm here to fish", and I watched the fish swim back to the deep.

this is the funniest thing I read this year! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

They're probably just a sour bunch. Nevermind them. I usually wave at other boats, but sometimes the Caucasian guys are too cool to wave back at the Asian guys in a canoe. :P

Quick Tip for people that fish in canoes though: A quick wave and smile usually will make big boats slow down and you won't be caught in too much wake.

For sure!

Usually a smile and a wave will make them slow down.

Then there are the guys who think they are the kings of the lake that go full throttle to blow right by 2 guys fishing in a canoe, 2 guys fishing in a small tinny and 3 kids paddling in a canoe. Makes me want to tie on a muskie lure and toss it in their direction. :wallbash:

I would just put it behind you bro. People like that are not worth the time and effort to even think about. ( As someone use to say "waste of skin." ) I have been through one of those situations before on Stoney Lake !!blush.gif I was with my cousin at the time. And yeah they look at you and come close to you and tap in thier own language and go away. Kinda like a Warthog checking things out. Then moving on it's way. Lost Souls !!rofl2.gif

DSN