Fish, Hunt, or both?

Gravyboat

Just cuious how many hunters are on the board. I fish, but not as much as I use to. I find myself hunting much more and sometimes prefer to shoot clays on summer days rather than fish. Hunting is not an easy activity to get started in, so I'll assume there's going to be more fisherman (oh... that and because this is a fishing forum :) )

Edited by Gravyboat

Just a fisherman here. Always fished as a kid. I have respect for hunters as I do fisherman. I just never got into it.

To all those fisherman that do not respect hunters--- Remember one thing--- The people who care about the resource take care of the resource. You do not see p3ta involved in stocking programs or the caribou herds or ducks or elk.

Cheers

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i just fish although i go out with guys while hunting. i just go for thw walk/ride. that and in the fall, while other guys are after deer, moose, and grouse, i'm preoccupied with fall steelhead.

i love eating wild game though, so if anyone would like like to donate some venison, bear sausage, or grouse etc., i promise to put it to good use. :)

i just fish although i go out with guys while hunting. i just go for thw walk/ride. that and in the fall, while other guys are after deer, moose, and grouse, i'm preoccupied with fall steelhead.

i love eating wild game though, so if anyone would like like to donate some venison, bear sausage, or grouse etc., i promise to put it to good use. :)

My neighbour and I have a great arrangement. He hunts , I fish, so we have a healthy barter.

I fish and I used to hunt-I quit hunting the day I heard bullets going through the trees over my head.My dad went through

WW2 and Korea and the closest he came to getting killed was by his hunting partner shooting at a deer with a semi automatic,5 of the 12 rounds the guy fired hit the log my dad was hiding under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vance

When someone invents C&R hunting I'll try it. :D

I wish I knew more about wild life photography.

JF

Ditto…There’s tranquilizer dart hunting :lol: . I heard there was an experimental type of hunting in Africa for elephants using paint balls…Pretty sure it didn’t work out though – Saw it on the Discovery Channel a while ago.

I only fish at the moment (almost entirely catch and release). I don’t hunt mainly because:

- I don’t have a freezer big enough to store all the meat

- My family in general doesn’t like eating game – The majority of my friends don’t either

- From what I’ve been told, you gotta drive pretty far away from cities to hunt (I go fishing often but usually not for very long)

- I do prefer eating different types of fish and seafood more than any other type of meat

- My friends tell me you gotta wake up insanely early in the morning (when it’s freezing cold) to set up decoys :lol:

I’m pretty interested in the various aspects of hunting – Like animal tracking, deer/turkey/duck calling, stalking, marksmanship, camo, trail cameras, etc. I’m sure a lot of what hunters do can be used in fishing situations. In the future, I would love to tag along on a hunt with somebody to see what it’s like.

Some animals I do find quite tasty. I don’t have any reservations on people killing an animal so long as it’s going to be used for food and not wasted. The closest thing to hunting that I do at the moment is walk around the local forests with my super zoom camera and take pics (sometimes I hide behind shrubs and trees)…Would love to get more into nature photography and learn more about animal behaviour (aside from what I see on the Discovery Channel or the internet).

If its a swimmer, its my dinner.

If its a hopper, I pop er'.

Brown its down.

Black its whacked.

Flies it dies.

Am I missing anything?

I will not keep a trophy or trophy potential fish. That means no muskie, no pike over 28'', no walleye over 20'', no St. Marys fish of any kind (gross).

I will keep enough for dinner, or invite some friends over so they can experience a little "taste" of the outdoors if they are starting to act a bit too urban.

I will keep all whitefish. They've made it personal.

I would, and try to harvest trophy mammal species like black bear or deer. Next year may be moose.

Do I care if you hunt of fish? Not at all, do what makes you happy. But, if you have a problem with hunting or fishing don't bother questioning my ethics on it or I'll tear yours apart.

I hunt and fish, most of my hunting is done with a compound bow and muzzleloader. I hunt everything I can but my favorites are deer, moose, bear and turkey.

Once hunting season starts, I don't fish, I want to spend all my extra time in the bush.

I am not a trophy hunter but I have a few great bucks on the wall.

I did some hunting in my youth but today it's strictly fishing.

I did however enjoy hunting immensely (strictly small game) and may take it up again in my retirement. I was fortunate enough at the time that I did hunt to supply myself with a lifetimes worth of fur and feathers for another hobby, fly tying.

I also have numerous friends who hunt and they frequently gift me meals of wild game so I still get to enjoy plenty of good eats. :)