Lost my old buddy

Bernie

That sucks Bernie. I had to do the same thing with mine last year ... just a little over a year ago, and I still really miss her. Just like yours, she really loved going out on the boat, the fish we caught, and the breaks to run along the shore line. We did get a new Airedale and it's just not the same. I honor my Nikita in my Avatar. Sorry to hear of your loss Bernie.

My wife and I are soooooo sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one Bernie!...we've had to put 3 down over the past 8 years and it's tough so we definately can feel your pain and know what you and your family are going through right now.....

At least he's not suffering...

Take care,

Steve

Thank you everyone.

When we got Hobbes I was against getting a dog. But this being a democratic household I relented.

He turned out to be a great dog. Our youngest son Alex has disabilities and Hobbes knew it. If Alex was upset Hobbes would go and try to calm him by nuzzling or rubbing his body on Alex. Through the open water months I pretty much live at the cottage and commute. Hobbes was always ready to go no matter to or fro. If somebody even mentioned "boat" he was in it. If someone was in the water swimming so was he. Mostly because he was worried for them and tried to herd people to shore. Such was his nature.

He was very rarely tied. He knew the borders of our house in town and would not leave them unless permission was granted. My parents live 4 houses away and Hobbes loved my mom. "Go see Grandma" and he was gone to see her (she made him cookies).

Our cottage is on an island and he had complete freedom to roam but rarely did. He was always within calling distance (Possibly just in case it was suppertime).

Although last night he could barely walk anymore he still made the effort to "go" outside. He maintained his dignity until the end.

Thank you again for letting me write his epitaph here. It makes me sad but he deserves it.

I am so sorry Bernie. My old girl is 13 and going blind and it worries me. I get that lump just thinking about it, and I've hated the times I've put my closest companions down over the years.

You gave him his peace. It's the best you could do for him.

B... that is for sure a tough pill to swallow.. Many of you're friends (myself included) have interacted with Hobbes and knew what a special family member he was.... He sure loved the water!

sad to hear that he needed you to make the right decision for him... He will be missed by many that is certain..

He was a great dog.

G..

So sorry to hear of this sad news Bernie. Wish I could say something to ease the pain your family is going through but unfortunately there are none. Only time will heal. Remember the good times you had with him and cherish them in your heart.

Thoughts and prayers are with you

Jacques

Sorry to hear it Bernie.Console youself in the fact that he had a better life than most dogs to be sure.Dogs live in the now,there is no tomorrow to look forward to and no yesterday to savor.Ther are happy to be alive every day but dont worry about if they will wake up the next day.They truely give it all every day.I wish we could be more like dogs.I've got an old guy also and that day is coming.

Joe

Sorry to hear that Bernie.......I know how you feel.....and it sucks!

The only thing that would make a dog better, is if they lived as long as thier owners. Its always tough losing your best friend.

We did the same a year and a half ago, and I'm just now looking for a replacement.

Sinker

Bernie sorry to hear about hobbes, i have a retreiver that looks just like him Neil or by his nick name ole red, Bernie this is a story i found awhile back that touched me very much so and i'd like to share it with you!

"A Truer Freind" ....by "Wild Bill"

Recently, my fishing buddy of long years died. Now I realize what a true friend he was; I didn't thnk I'd miss him this much.

Patrick was born without arms, and could not speak, and sadly had been estranged from his family while very young. We met and quickly became freinds, mostly because we shared a love of the great outdoors. Somehow, we communicated, me through speaking, him through facial expressions, and we found we also loved being on the water. I took him out on my boat, and from that day on, I would not think of going without Patrick; he got such joy from those trips.

While I fished and controlled the boat from the front deck, he would lay on the rear deck, his head hanging overboard, peering into the waters looking for fish. He'd spot fish, and then motion to me. He got as excited as i did when I hooked and landed fish. Once,as I was battling a very feisty Smallmouth, Patrick, in his typically over-excited and enthusiastic state, slipped and fell overboard. Fortunately,he was wearing his modified lifejacket, and from his position in the water, got to see the fish landed and then released. I finally controlled my laughter enough to help him back onto the rear deck, where he dried himself off while I continued to chuckle.

Being a Pisces may explain my forty-year love affair with Bass fishing. Grandpa and my Dad introduced me to the sport when I was only six. Grandpa bought a home on a small lake outside Kansas City, MO, and we summered there every year of my childhood. I learned to cast plugs to the shoreline and docks, and to drag a plastic worm for Bass, all the while bonding with Grandpa and Dad.

Patrick never got to go fishing before I took him, never once had the pleasure of making a great cast, and I'd swear he got a bigger adrenaline rush and his heart would beat faster than mine whenever i caught a fish. Just being on the water was his "nirvana".

Most of my buddies didn't want to come along if they heard I was bringing Patrick, because he had a hard time controlling his excitement. The rear deck became his domain, and he rarely would cede it, unless he was told to. I rarely had the heart not to take him, so we spent a lot of time together.The thrill of the sport was what he and I thrived on, and I now try to share that with others by mentoring them in the joys of fishing and the great outdoors.

Less than a week before Patrick died, we shared our final fishing trip, and it comforts me to know I made his life happier by taking him along on all those trips. He returned the favor by sharing his excitement and joy with me. Fishing isn't quite the same now without him, as I miss being with him.

I just returned from the lake, the first trip since since my buddy died. I had motored through the early morning fog to our favorite spot, the point I had caught that fish so many years earlier when Patrick had fallen in. As I approached, an ominous feeling came over me, as if signalling me where to cast. Maybe it was the moment, but as I positiioned the boat, I felt that Patrick was there in spirit, guiding me, as always.

My watermelon-colored senko had barely hit the water when there was a giant swirl, right where my bait landed. I reeled down, and then set the hook, and a hefty four pound Smallie came rocketing up out of the water, almsot three feet in the air. It gave me quite a tug, and the battle was intense, re-affirming why I was there, and lifting my spirits on that spot where my buddy and I had shared so many good times together. I landed the chunky Smallmouth and looked it over carefully, as it looked so much like that fish I'd landed 12 years earlier, the day Patrick had fallen in the water.

Gently, I slipped the fish back into the water. I knew right away where my next throw should land, and it did, but it made a different sound as it landed, and there was no swirl this time, anf no tug. A very happy, yet sad feeling overcame me as I watched my departed freind's ashes, now intermixing with my tears, as they sank through the water. we had indeed shared a special freindship through our years together.

Suddenly, a smallmouth shot out of the waters, right between my boat and the boulder strewn point. I thought it was the one I had just released, and I knew right then I had brought Patrick to his heaven.

I will cherish forever the moments I shared with Patrick, my Golden Retreiver.

Share fishing with someone.....

Sad news indeed Bernie and I'm really sorry to hear it but it sounds like you gave your buddy an excellent home and he returned the favour with all the love he had to offer.

My Marvin is over 12 now and I know someday I'll have to face that decision too, but like you, I'll know when the day arrives that it'll be the right thing to do for my friend.

Sorry for your loss Bernie.