We share the lakes with idiot boaters.

lew

Far too many years back now I was up on Nipigon with DanC, Nita and TEP and the western shoreline was on fire and the water bombers were routinely swooping down to scoop water., we knew darn well to stay the hell out of the way while we fished the shoreline. Messing with those big yellow birds is just, well as Lew stated "stupid!"

DSC02281.JPG

Couple years back we were staying at a camp up on the West Arm of Nipissing and the Ministry was practicing water drops and we had a good seat to watch the show. Really interesting stuff.

IMG_0331.webp

IMG_0332.webp

IMG_0336.webp

• Like 1

Jet skis get my vote. These idiots did a double take look when they saw me, corrected course straight at me and drove right across my 9” Twisted Sister top water…. I was not impressed. The 26,000 acre lake was practically deserted as it was during covid

Edited by limeyangler

Posted (edited)

We were casting a bay one evening when 2 clowns on a jetski decided to mess around with us. They came in close and started doing donuts around us for about 5 minutes then took off. They only got 100 yards and tried to make another sharp turn but instead rolled the machine over. We could hear one of them screaming in pain in the water so we motored over and asked if he was hurt and he said yes, it's my back. I said "ahhh, that's a shame" and continued on our way. 

Edited by lew
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BillM said:

This is when a big muskie bucktail goes right at them.

Yep,  I was out on Loughborough Lake a number of years ago, fishing in front of a multi-millionaire's "cottage".  Spring of the year and we found a good number of big bluegills, so we were not moving any time soon. They apparently believed that they owned the water in front of their cottage!!!  First they played loud music at us.  I sang louder than their music - my version of The House of the Rising Sun, if memory serves me.  They turned off the music and some young man came down to the dock, lit up a jetski, and started buzzing close to us.  So each time he went past, I cast directly at him.  And to make sure they got the point, when we needed to relieve ourselves, we did so in their direction.  Two can play that game...........

Doug

• Like 2

Way back when I owned a bass boat that did 60+ mph and jet skis seadoos topped out at about 40 mph, I was out fishing having a good day when 2 guys on jet skis started buzzing my boat and turning at the last second to send a big splash my way

i I decided to teach them how to make a big splash so I took off and followed them, quickly overtook them trimmed my motor to send out a rooster tail 20 ft high and 60 ft back from the boat and just flooded the to guys   They had to stop their machines so I stopped mine , they took off again and so did I drowning the poor buggers again. One of them turned and went the other way so I just kept on the one guy every time he tried to move I soaked him good. They quit trying to soak me so I guess I won the water fight 

but I could see the other guy close to the shoreline so I paid him a visit and played one more time   The other guy showed up too so I talked to them and asked why they didn’t want to play anymore. They said they didn’t mean anything by splashing me, they were just having fun. I said me too and I’m not tired  of the fun yet   They said yeah we get the point.   So I asked where to you live , they said just right there he was his way home when I soaked him the last time 

so I said good stay there till you see me leave the lake. If I see you come back I will will continue to play the game  and if I hear anyone else say a jet ski splashed them I will spend the whole summer playing the game 

they went home and I went back to catching bass 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Never had much issues with jetskis... what's caused me to cuss are sailboats. Trolling at a slow clip on a deliberate heading on Lake O (and elsewhere), and they seem to head straight for you. Maybe they're using you as a way point marker in some imaginary race, or maybe they're just thumbing their nose at powerboaters..because they know they have the legal right-of-way. 

100's of square miles of lake, but they want to take dead aim at you. My experience is the ritzier the local yacht club...the worse this behavior is...must be a sense of self entitlement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Never had much issues with jetskis... what's caused me to cuss are sailboats. Trolling at a slow clip on a deliberate heading on Lake O (and elsewhere), and they seem to head straight for you. Maybe they're using you as a way point marker in some imaginary race, or maybe they're just thumbing their nose at powerboaters..because they know they have the legal right-of-way. 

100's of square miles of lake, but they want to take dead aim at you. My experience is the ritzier the local yacht club...the worse this behavior is...must be a sense of self entitlement.

I've had a few encounters with sailboats on Lake O over the years.  I wish they'd learn that while I'm fishing I've got the right of way.   

• 2 weeks later...

JetSkis are the main reason I don't go out fishing on weekends anymore. Most are Momma's boys Millennials who think they are entitled and the own the lake.

I don't have the patience for people like that anymore.

I like the musky bait and the sling shot idea. LOL