Hmmmm, Thoughts Please

Spiel

I've been playing around in the shop thinking on how I might repurpose the gold foil off of store wrapped baking potatoes, don't ask me why.... lol

It's still a little raw and unpolished but I'm thinking it could work. Thoughts?

GoldFoil 1.jpg

GoldFoil 2.jpg

GoldFoil 3.jpg

GoldFoil 4.jpg

• Like 2

Not my thing, as you know, but hey market to the rappers 🙂. All of your designs are a thing of beauty so finish one and put it on line. I know you don't need the work but I would love to see it finished..

• Like 1

I think in my world earth tones are a better match while fishing. The skill in the process is as usual excellent. Maybe matched up with a Ron Gardner Reel would make it aesthetically balance better. 

Art

• Like 1

Thanks folks I greatly appreciate your comments.
Like most of you it's not to my taste either but the young crowd eats this stuff up.

The market is full of gold & gold black anodized reel seats and of course reels but I've not yet seen a gold ergonomically shaped reel seat for the center pin crowd so I'm playing about hoping to create something unique to the long rod steelhead crowd.

And if you thought that seat a little blingy check out these two I made using some 40 year old salmon spoon prism tape I had laying about.  :D

lime prism tape 1.jpg

silver prism tape 1.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HTHM said:

Kind of Trumpian in my opinion. Also a thumbs down from me. 

And stop buying prewrapped potatoes, they are no different that the ones in the 10 pound bag. Just more expensive. 

Perhaps you need a little more of the back ground story Albert before jumping to conclusions.  😜

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HTHM said:

Enlighten us then... I'm certain you have a valid reason for whatever it is that you do. 

Well I did buy a 4 pack of them Albert for a spur of the moment trip north. I was asked to bring a meal for dinner, I opted in for the steaks and baked Taters.
However in my rush to grocery shop and get back home to pack up gear and boat and hit the road I hit the local Freshco for supplies (not steaks) and sadly they had no Russets (the best for foil wrapping and BBQ'ing imo), so in my rush I bought a 4 pack of foil wrapped spuds (I never buy pre wrapped cause I am frugal ;) ). Then once home and still in a rush to pack up and get on the road I blew out my back and ended staying in bed for several days. Going forward when I went to use the foil wrapped spuds at home several days later I unwrapped them to split, season and butter them pre grilling I found them all to be less than edible, so I tossed them, but the unused foil was there and I had been asked to come up with an all gold seat cast in clear acrylic so I thought......hmmmm, why not. I do like trying new and creative designs in the shop and sometimes I get a winner and sometimes I don't as seen by the numerous failures laying about the shop.  ;)

So there you have the background story. I do have a buyer though for the reel seat. ;)
I'll bet those big Cats down Dunnville way don't give a damn about reel seat colours.   🤣

• Haha 1

Do the innards of the handle contribute at all to the strength of the structure or is it basically just a void and filled for cosmetics? You could do one inspired by the Rambo survival knife I had as a kid. Had a compass on the bottom that didn’t work, matches that wouldn’t light inside and a wire saw that broke the first time it was unfolded. Or a flask! Booze for emergencies and medicinal uses only naturally….

25 minutes ago, Weeds said:

Do the innards of the handle contribute at all to the strength of the structure or is it basically just a void and filled for cosmetics? You could do one inspired by the Rambo survival knife I had as a kid. Had a compass on the bottom that didn’t work, matches that wouldn’t light inside and a wire saw that broke the first time it was unfolded. Or a flask! Booze for emergencies and medicinal uses only naturally….

The "innards of the handle" are the rod blank itself, everything over top of that, grips, seats, etc provide functional usability as well as cosmetic appeal for the consumer.

19 hours ago, Spiel said:

Well I did buy a 4 pack of them Albert for a spur of the moment trip north. I was asked to bring a meal for dinner, I opted in for the steaks and baked Taters.
However in my rush to grocery shop and get back home to pack up gear and boat and hit the road I hit the local Freshco for supplies (not steaks) and sadly they had no Russets (the best for foil wrapping and BBQ'ing imo), so in my rush I bought a 4 pack of foil wrapped spuds (I never buy pre wrapped cause I am frugal ;) ). Then once home and still in a rush to pack up and get on the road I blew out my back and ended staying in bed for several days. Going forward when I went to use the foil wrapped spuds at home several days later I unwrapped them to split, season and butter them pre grilling I found them all to be less than edible, so I tossed them, but the unused foil was there and I had been asked to come up with an all gold seat cast in clear acrylic so I thought......hmmmm, why not. I do like trying new and creative designs in the shop and sometimes I get a winner and sometimes I don't as seen by the numerous failures laying about the shop.  ;)

So there you have the background story. I do have a buyer though for the reel seat. ;)
I'll bet those big Cats down Dunnville way don't give a damn about reel seat colours.   🤣

This is all sounding like a "you know you're getting old when...." story. I totally get it because stuff like this is so relatable to me now.. 😁

• Haha 1