Oil Change SCAMS

Mister G

About 2 years back or so, I had an older ford escape. I took it into Jilesons auto close to Omemee, they said they changed the thermostat, but they stripped a bolt on the thermostat housing itself and broke it, essentially made it so it wouldn't open or close properly. They charged me $300 and they did absolutely nothing to my vehicle other then break it more. We figured that our the hard way when we did it all in the driveway ourselves.Replaced both the thermostat and the housing in the driveway. They had it for a week and it wasn't done by Friday at 2pm in the afternoon, same day later on they called and said come pick it up, it's ready. Not sure what you do about something like that? Still have to make a google review, how do you deal with a crooked mechanic?

Oil change here is $40

But don't use any "mechanic" for auto work.

Only about 15 in the area and nothing but problems with EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Nothing but nightmares. I took my mom's Jeep liberty to at least 4 shops, vehicle outta commission for 6 weeks, never even got an answer as to what was wrong

My mom sold it. The guy who bought it drove it over two days later kinda laughing at us

I wish I was mechanically inclined

Oil change here is $40

But don't use any "mechanic" for auto work.

Only about 15 in the area and nothing but problems with EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Nothing but nightmares. I took my mom's Jeep liberty to at least 4 shops, vehicle outta commission for 6 weeks, never even got an answer as to what was wrong

My mom sold it. The guy who bought it drove it over two days later kinda laughing at us

I wish I was mechanically inclined

Regular oil yes, $40; synthetic I pay $80 at the dealer $140!!! but, they bring the car back with a piece of paper where they put their feet lol

This is why I do it myself. I really don't like anyone else touching my car.

Me too.

I do as much as I can and only take it to a mechnik as a last resort.

Last big job I did was a timing belt and waterpump replacement as well as replacing several valves when the old belt skipped a tooth.

21441_702358716457137_1163504552_n.jpg?o

Edited by DRIFTER_016

OI, $80 now and rotated the tires too. Told the dealer to shove it after the $140.

I should have said I use to pay that. Now I get it down the same street from the GM dealer now for 80 bucks including all fluid top ups and tire rotation. I think the synthetic oil is 40 or something. My wife went into the same GM dealer I bought the truck new from to say she needed some nitrogen in her tire. The sticker on the window says free N2 top ups at any GM dealer. They laughed at her, not only that they called her Honey. Oh my. I know the service asst. since he was 8 years old. I went in to see them, no Police were called. It cost that dealer a sale as I was looking at a new car there. No way, no how. They don't even have N2 there. My sales guy got a please don't email me about having a buyer for my truck. He wasn't too happy as he lost that future commission.

Searles GM, Caledonia On.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I do my own.. My truck and the wifes car cost $40 each using synthetic and hers uses the dexos..$28 and change for the synthetic dexos at Walmart. I don't trust the quick lube places and the dealers aren't much better. I like to drain the oil for about a half hour or until all the drips stop.

When the mechanics and dealer employees are paid low wages that is what you can get poor quality people and service.

Most aren't employees of the dealership. They are subs that get paid a flat rate for the job whether it takes the 1.5 hours the book says or 4.

I do my own.. My truck and the wifes car cost $40 each using synthetic and hers uses the dexos..$28 and change for the synthetic dexos at Walmart. I don't trust the quick lube places and the dealers aren't much better. I like to drain the oil for about a half hour or until all the drips stop.

I will also do my own after the 175,000 KM warranty is up. If you have it done from someone that isn't qualified according to GM, Ford or whoever you void your warranty.

They have few more lawyers than we do Bill, they win. Buddy next door has his motor blow on his mid life crissis Camaro 6 months new. He had to fight to get them to honor the warranty. They claimed he didn't break it in right, on board computer showed high RPM's before 10,000 km or some stupid thing.

If you are buying new GM you should be negotiating in exacter oil changes, the most I've got is 6. Couple hats maybe a jacket or a shirt. That's why those sales rep are wearing those shirts.

I go to jiffy lube an pull the hood and get and watch buddy take off the filter and watch the new one being installed. I can see buddy go get the synthetic. If buddy says you need a new plug and washer it's no charge Jiffy lube did it.

I did plenty oil changes I just don't do them anymore. I've also showed my wife the process. She was mad in the beginning but takes great pleasure in knowing how to check level ect now.

They have few more lawyers than we do Bill, they win. Buddy next door has his motor blow on his mid life crissis Camaro 6 months new. He had to fight to get them to honor the warranty. They claimed he didn't break it in right, on board computer showed high RPM's before 10,000 km or some stupid thing.

That's just craziness man!

Didn't want to get into this thread but lot's of heresay and mis-information thrown around. I don't want to get into a debate on the state of the auto service industry but if anyone wants to ask a real question or in need an honest answer PM me. If I don't have answer I will find it for you..

Didn't want to get into this thread but lot's of heresay and mis-information thrown around. I don't want to get into a debate on the state of the auto service industry but if anyone wants to ask a real question or in need an honest answer PM me. If I don't have answer I will find it for you..

Is it such a secret you need to PM answers? Share your expertise with us.

There are going to be scammers in each and every business out there, the auto service industry isn't the only one. We all remember the bad service but don't remember the good ones.

Is it such a secret you need to PM answers? Share your expertise with us.

There are going to be scammers in each and every business out there, the auto service industry isn't the only one. We all remember the bad service but don't remember the good ones.

It is not a secret he doesn't want to argue with people. John has as much knowledge as Bernie and both of them have responded to P.M.s on my questions for years. There wealth of knowledge is amazing.

Art