Rain Gear

Musky Plug

Hey all,

So I've been looking at purchasing new rain gear for this year. Was thinking about either Bps 100mph rain suit or the Cabela's guide series rain gear. The prices for these are around $600 for the complete suit but I'm willing to pay the extra money if it keeps my dry and will last. I don't want to have to keep spending money on new rain gear. Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands of rain gear or any other brands that are any good?

There are some good prices if you can wait for a sale. Last Jun, I purchased one Cabela's Guidewear Extreme Parka and one Cabela's Guidewear Extreme Bib on sale for $489.98 not including the HST. The sale price for each unit was $244.99. I just checked the Cabela's Canada site and they have the same units on sale for $299.99 in lieu of $349.99. I bought my first set of Cabela's Guidewear in 2004 and was very happy with the product.

I have the BPS Pro Qualifier and it has been flawless.

If you are out in a rain and want to fish it is worth every penny!!

My buddy did the cheaper stuff, Wetskins, FrogToggs etc

Last year he bought the Cabelas Guidewear and was extremely happy with the purchase He was sure wishing he had done it sooner

My pops sells stormtech gear through his store, so warning lol.

The stuff they sell offline is unreal.

Im talking warmer weather gear though, no idea as to the colder weather gear.

I use mine at work even because it fits well, it's durable, fully water proof etc.

Stormtech is often thought of as "cheaper". But man they make some wicked gear if you look

I own both Cabelas Guide Wear and BPS 100mph.

Guide Wear is terrible. Has water proof zippers on all pockets. The main zipper large chunky drain hole the second zipper large chunky drain hole with little pieces of Velcro. The hands are Velcro. The hood parachutes bad.

The 100 mph all zippers are water proof. The hands are neoprene, the hood has a large flap that goes across your face and string's to tighten down.

The 100 mph is about 200% better than Guide Wear.

Last season I lost my cabela's jacket.. flew out of the boat somewhere on the french. Then end of season I lost a bag with my bibs and backup jacket lol. I had the cabela's tourney trail suit.. I liked it. It kept me 95% dry for 4 seasons of good use. However if standing in hard downpour for most of a day, there'd be a bit a moisture in side the jacket. Pretty good overall though. This was the old model, the new model doesn't fit as nice on me so I passed. It was on sale last time I was at cabela's FYI around a month ago.

I just got a suit at coscto made by wetskins that will get me by for now. Nylon waterproof treatment so I'm not expecting top performance but fits nice and not expensive.. undoubtedly it won't last, but will be nice to have in the boat for warm months and backup until I get something heavier for fall.

Can't go wrong with cabela's or bps jackets at the higher end level. Both get good reviews.

M-P, there has been a few older (not too old) posts about this if you hit the search for "rain gear" and if memory is correct Simm's, Cabela's then BPS come to mind.

I will do that. Leaning more towards bps and cabelas, Simms is a little out of the budget unfortunately lol.

There are some good prices if you can wait for a sale. Last Jun, I purchased one Cabela's Guidewear Extreme Parka and one Cabela's Guidewear Extreme Bib on sale for $489.98 not including the HST. The sale price for each unit was $244.99. I just checked the Cabela's Canada site and they have the same units on sale for $299.99 in lieu of $349.99. I bought my first set of Cabela's Guidewear in 2004 and was very happy with the product.

Well I was thinking about getting one for may for walleye opener. I did the sale on the cabelas site, and almost purchased it. But I figured I would ask for people's opinions that have been there done that. I would be disappointed if I spent the money and wasn't happy with the product.

My pops sells stormtech gear through his store, so warning lol.

The stuff they sell offline is unreal.

Im talking warmer weather gear though, no idea as to the colder weather gear.

I use mine at work even because it fits well, it's durable, fully water proof etc.

Stormtech is often thought of as "cheaper". But man they make some wicked gear if you look

I will have to look this brand, thanks.

Edited by Musky Plug

Last season I lost my cabela's jacket.. flew out of the boat somewhere on the french. Then end of season I lost a bag with my bibs and backup jacket lol. I had the cabela's tourney trail suit.. I liked it. It kept me 95% dry for 4 seasons of good use. However if standing in hard downpour for most of a day, there'd be a bit a moisture in side the jacket. Pretty good overall though. This was the old model, the new model doesn't fit as nice on me so I passed. It was on sale last time I was at cabela's FYI around a month ago.

I just got a suit at coscto made by wetskins that will get me by for now. Nylon waterproof treatment so I'm not expecting top performance but fits nice and not expensive.. undoubtedly it won't last, but will be nice to have in the boat for warm months and backup until I get something heavier for fall.

Can't go wrong with cabela's or bps jackets at the higher end level. Both get good reviews.

would I be able to wear the Bps and Cabelas suit in both summer and winter, with appropriate layers underneath?

^^^ That's funny JoshS , well not really . That happened to me last year as well . Coat flew out of boat and I didn't realize till the end of the day . Big kick in the ass there !!!

Anyways , the one I lost was Guide Wear and it was a very good coat . Replaced it with another one and it has been flawless . I had an older Guide Wear coat that was

pretty good as well but these newer ones are a lot better in my view . One thing I look for is how much Velcro is on the product , hate the stuff so less is best in my eyes .

I do a lot of backwoods trekking/fishing and found that the Velcro on my old coat would pick up every pine needle and such making it look like crap but also deeming the

Velcro almost useless . The new coat has very little Velcro compared to the older models . Also Cabelas has a great warranty program with there products . I know the Guide Wear

goes on sale every so often compared to the BPS 100mph which hardly ever goes on sale .

Either way they are both great products and you won't lose with either .

One more thing , don't hesitate in spending the money on a good rain suit . Bar none , one of the best investments I have made . Nothing worse then being on a camping trip and

getting soaked to the bone in cheap raingear . Been there , froze and not doing it again :(

^^^ That's funny JoshS , well not really . That happened to me last year as well . Coat flew out of boat and I didn't realize till the end of the day . Big kick in the ass there !!!

Anyways , the one I lost was Guide Wear and it was a very good coat . Replaced it with another one and it has been flawless . I had an older Guide Wear coat that was

pretty good as well but these newer ones are a lot better in my view . One thing I look for is how much Velcro is on the product , hate the stuff so less is best in my eyes .

I do a lot of backwoods trekking/fishing and found that the Velcro on my old coat would pick up every pine needle and such making it look like crap but also deeming the

Velcro almost useless . The new coat has very little Velcro compared to the older models . Also Cabelas has a great warranty program with there products . I know the Guide Wear

goes on sale every so often compared to the BPS 100mph which hardly ever goes on sale .

Either way they are both great products and you won't lose with either .

One more thing , don't hesitate in spending the money on a good rain suit . Bar none , one of the best investments I have made . Nothing worse then being on a camping trip and

getting soaked to the bone in cheap raingear . Been there , froze and not doing it again :(

I saw that the cabelas guide wear is actually on sale now, about $50 off however I have a $100 gift card for bps which makes me lean more towards that but I'm still on the fence. And yes it sucks being cold and frozen happened to me last year and hoping not again this year lol.

I've owned the Simms ProDry, BPS Pro Qualifier, BPS 100MPH & Cabela's GuideWear. They're all good but the best rainsuit that I've ever owned is my Simms ProDry!

Yes I have been told by more than a couple people that they're the best, sadly though it's out of my budget.

The stuff does go on sale sometimes and you can save a few hundred dollars when is does. Some work stores sell heavy duty rain gear. Some might not be as breathable but when its cold and your sittin' and fishin' it does the job and can be much cheaper.

Edited by kickingfrog

I was also looking at the F3 suit, has anyone had any experience with these suits?

I have the F2 for one season now and performs well. I paid $300 at LeBarons' on a no tax weekend.

My son just picked one up in the states at $48 ea for jacket and bibs. Real good deal

I have the 100MPH bibs, and they are amazing, and really warm. Ive only used them in colder weather though, not summer fishing. id think it be way to heavy and warm for any summer fishing. I used the 100MPH pants all winter long for ice fishing even, they're that warm. Im wearing them in my avatar.

I have the 100MPH bibs, and they are amazing, and really warm. Ive only used them in colder weather though, not summer fishing. id think it be way to heavy and warm for any summer fishing. I used the 100MPH pants all winter long for ice fishing even, they're that warm. Im wearing them in my avatar.

Aren't the bibs breathable like the jackets?

I got some Guidewear last year.....LOVE IT!

That seems to be the consensus, however the closest cabelas is around 2hours away from me and I would prefer to try the suit and before I spend that much money on it.

What about HUK gear, does anyone have any experience with this brand?