Loose Lips Sink Ships

Old Ironmaker

You now my favorite shotefishing spot at the rapids I post about 85% of my reports on here?

Turns out two guys from siberia read about it on here and approached me as manitoubass???

Really nice guys, good anglers and a pleasure to meet.

And in siberia, I learned, they cook pike whole, and any fish filleted is done by the wife

There are definitely people that try to figure spots from posts.

Other stuff other than pictures can be used, stuff like the number and length of portages can give it away. Google earth can rotate the view to match up horizons in pictures.

One of the guys that buggered up my one splake lake is a registered member. He has maybe 4 posts in 10 years. He just lurks and looks for information.

Before the internet we had issues with magazines being spot burners, the OFAH had a separate mag for a while before being an insert in "Ontario Out of Doors" and Cronzy had a newsprint rag that burned a lot of steelheading locations. Also a host of TV shows, Red Fisher was in the clear as he was at Plummer's most of the time or some other pricey outpost lodge, but Going Fishin and a few others featured easily accessible destinations. Also we would get our hands on the previous years Molson's Big Fish Awards results , location date and baits of the ten best fish of every species of the past year all in one.

Edited by dave524

How's this??

"Hey you, lurker, yeah I'm talking to you. Start contributing or bugger off! We've got the Russians (not the two guys from Siberia, they ok) logging your IP addresses. Plus we can now track you to any spot previously photographed on this sight. We can't get through a political thread without fighting but we're like the Sheldon Cooper of fishing now!" :rofl2:

How's this??

"Hey you, lurker, yeah I'm talking to you. Start contributing or bugger off! We've got the Russians (not the two guys from Siberia, they ok) logging your IP addresses. Plus we can now track you to any spot previously photographed on this sight. We can't get through a political thread without fighting but we're like the Sheldon Cooper of fishing now!" :rofl2:

???

Do we think people are finding spots based on pictures? Some pictures show nothing in the background. I feel thats a little paranoia. Sure if you said I get awesome bass on this point in 10 feet of water, that could be trouble.

Make the forum private. Only members can view posts.

Do we think people are finding spots based on pictures? Some pictures show nothing in the background. I feel thats a little paranoia. Sure if you said I get awesome bass on this point in 10 feet of water, that could be trouble.

Make the forum private. Only members can view posts.

If the pic is from a smart phone then yes as they are tagged with a GPS location.

If the pic is from a smart phone then yes as they are tagged with a GPS location.

Thats why I use a dumb camera and post ice reports from inside the hut. LOL

Learned my lesson. Never believed til it happend. If you dont like the pics in the hut of the fish, BITE ME.

Hope to have some after this weekend. All in the hut. BITE ME.

LOL

You can remove geo tags from your phone. Its an option.

Yes but some don't know how to or that it was even on when posting a shared pic

Thats why I use a dumb camera and post ice reports from inside the hut. LOL

Learned my lesson. Never believed til it happend. If you dont like the pics in the hut of the fish, BITE ME.

Hope to have some after this weekend. All in the hut. BITE ME.

LOL

Oh I know you have had a go with it in the past too B, I recall...

Yes but some don't know how to or that it was even on when posting a shared pic

Oh I know you have had a go with it in the past too B, I recall...

Yeah. But that was just Nick and I. XD XD

Also, if you right click on a pic it will say the file name (I think) so if you name your pick 'Lake X walleye' people know to fish 'Lake X'

what does this file say for the pic? Just wondering what you get it all...

File — basic information derived from the file.

File Type JPEG MIME Type image/jpeg Comment CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75 Encoding Process Baseline DCT, Huffman coding Bits Per Sample 8 Color Components 3 File Size 6.8 kB Image Size 200 × 184 Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)

Also Ive yet to find a picture with GPS coords online. Most cameras dont put Geotags.

Post a fishing picture, I can tell you if it has GPS coords or not.

Edited by Tjames09

I just noticed something. 54 members and close to 300 guests on the site a few minutes ago. The more people here the better for marketing. I've noticed more details in a few ice reports. I might be off here, just sayin'.

took 4000 posts, huh?

Not as bad here as it is on spoonpullers. I'll give hot lures but never fow and port of call on that site again. Battle boats the next day, and my boat is fairly conspicuous. I'm in agreance smaller lakes should not be named on the Internet. Read my signature.

Edited by Freshtrax

Don't regret posting anything because we live and learn. With public sites they'res always a greater caution to "handle with care." Keeps it interesting... even challenging sometimes. It's living doods!

The days of forum reports, blogs and even magazines are coming to pass though, sad to say... Much as I'm on Facebook, I'd throw that away if all boards could be what they were a decade a go. But yeah, with public sites and social medias comes lurking and even some other dark sides of human nature... it can be damaging and turn people off.

Don't regret posting anything because we live and learn. With public sites they'res always a greater caution to "handle with care." Keeps it interesting... even challenging sometimes. It's living doods!

The days of forum reports, blogs and even magazines are coming to pass though, sad to say... Much as I'm on Facebook, I'd throw that away if all boards could be what they were a decade a go. But yeah, with public sites and social medias comes lurking and even some other dark sides of human nature... it can be damaging and turn people off.

You are right about that. The past 2 yrs have seen a sharp decline in content on just about every board I've ever looked into.

I think people have been moving away from message boards in general, since social media has successfully made it simple for people to have the same discussions they were having on boards like this all through their single Facebook or Instagram account. Localized fishing groups, or species specific groups have a ton of good reports and discussions with essentially zero off-topic banter and bickering. It is easy to understand why all the diehard anglers made the transition.

not on social media ... and haven't posted a report in quite some time...makes fishing different. You only take the camera out for a true trophy, instead of taking pics of every fish caught.

times, they are a changin'. :)

Edited by Steve

I don't think you can have the same discussions on Facebook as you can on a message board. From what I see, most of the Facebook sites are full of filler and not much meat.

This site is about 99% filler. Lots of great discussions on the FB groups I read, off-topic stuff gets deleted. Just my personal experience.

Im only on one fb group and its pretty awesome! Strictly fishing related.

Daily fishing reports in abundance from all over(mainly Ontario) but lots of other cool reports too!

Zero bickering

That's I'm going to your next post (when the knee is better) and going to chirp you there and then... ;)