Loose Lips Sink Ships

Old Ironmaker

As far as honey holes. I have limited out when the boat parked not 12 feet from us was skunked on Klotz Lake. The same goes for trolling on The Bay of Quinte, our buddies boat trolling right next to us limited out when we never got a hit. Everything the same besides the 20 feet, same depth, same plug, line same everything except the guy holding the rods.

Some of the guys fishing the river here freely tell me, and presumably others, where the caught their bows and what bait or lure they were using. The chances of me repeating what they did are slim to none The fish are generally moving thru and it's quite likely that others standing close by, using a similar set-up, did not catch any. So, the moral to the story is:"depends on the situation".

M2B2, you have said in the past you guide.

Ive guided yes, but not professionally.

More like as a favour to friends, co workers and occasionally for my cousin who owns Camp Narrows on the north arm of Rainy Lake.

I considered doing it professionally at one point. Especially when we looked at buying a resort.

But thats not happening anytime soon

My dads guides more often than me but same situation. Lodge needs a temp fill in and its an awesome way to earn money on days off by basically getting a free vacation. Even though its pretty strenous work at least mentally.

Edited by manitoubass2

I won't post spots, but i won't shy away from posting a report, i've always said, if a person can recognize exactly where you are from a picture, they have fished there often enough to know it, good for them, the average person isn't going to recognize one pine tree from the next, or one corner of a creek from the next

Edited by FloatnFly

A lot of my river fishing spots are ones that a group of us have amassed over the years. We all trade spots and if one of us is on one we pass by and say hello and head to another location. Most of the river spots are on underwater structure and holes or oyster bars so finding them twice is a pin point type of anchoring. A person can be 100 feet off the point and miss all of the fish. The small lakes and ponds are in danger with any person who can really read a depth finder can pattern the water easily and if CnR is not practiced it could remove a lot of the larger fish. I usually will fish with a friend and trade trips with them with the understanding that any spots that we go to in their boat are spots i will not visit unless they say it is o.k.. This has allowed me to fish with guides who will take me to their #1 spots for a good day of fishing without them feeling that they are risking their living. I have shown a few guides some new places and they have asked if they could use them. (not that they have to ask but it feels good when they do). No one owns a spot on the water but courtesy goes a long way in making friends on the water.

Art

, i've always said, if a person can recognize exactly where you are from a picture, they have fished there often enough to know it,

What happened with my splake lake, was the guy paddled it in the summer, not fishing, just a day out in the canoe. He knew enough to recognize a winter picture that I posted.

I know that guys will do hours of research to figure out spots.