Ice fishing rod size and action?

Tjames09

I use my 36"ers in the hut all the time. Whats the problem with them in a hut? Length? I don't have an issue, even in my one man clam. I just find the longer rods provide more action to play fish on. The short rods, you may as well hand bomb them up.

S.

I use a 28" med action rod for almost all of my fishing...don't overthink it. I will use a MH 36" rod for lake trout fishing but that's pretty well the only exception.

I guess it depends on the type of fish being targeted. I fish for the smaller lakers in Muskoka rather than the bigger(but scarcer) ones in Simcoe. IMO, based on this experience, it doesn't really matter much what kind of rod you use. The drag on the reel, rather than the flexing of the rod, provides most of the resistance to the fish.,

I guess it depends on the type of fish being targeted. I fish for the smaller lakers in Muskoka rather than the bigger(but scarcer) ones in Simcoe. IMO, based on this experience, it doesn't really matter much what kind of rod you use. The drag on the reel, rather than the flexing of the rod, provides most of the resistance to the fish.,

Yeah, spend your money on the reel for sure. Nothing worse than a cheap real in the winter. Useless.

S.

I like to feel every little tick or tap on the end of my line. So a Med. Heavy action, with some good back bone for walleye. It's also my Laker, and white fish rod. Running 8 to 10 lb braid, with a 6' fluorocarbon leader roughly 8lb test.

I have a 36". and a few smaller ones as well. Depending on the hut I'm fishing out of. My fat fish, I can use the 36" rod no issues. But my hut for white fish on simcoe is narrow, and the 36" is a bit to long, so I use my shorter one for that hut.

My preference is the longer rod though, as other have said, you get to play the fish a little more.

But you need to make sure you have the right stiffness of rod to match the style of jigging your doing, and the weight of lure your using. There's a few things to consider....

I have to have a 28 or shorter in my hut...anything longer and I'm constantly whacking the roof on missed hooksets. I have stiffer 28's for walleye/whitefish/lakers and real light ones for perch and crappie.

I've tried to tone the hooksets down to not whack the roof but I just have not been able to.

Like others have mentioned I think a good quality reel is more important. Garbage reels are twice as annoying when they are used in the cold.

with a sienna 1000 and you are set.

Best point there is the reel. I am planning to pick up another 1000 series shimano this week so when my kids are with me they have a good reel that I don't need to worry about. Most of my rod's are 28's due to hut size or set up in the hut

Edited by GBW

Best point there is the reel. I am planning to pick up another 1000 series shimano this week so when my kids are with me they have a good reel that I don't need to worry about. Most of my rod's are 28's due to hut size or set up in the hut

james the reason im bringing up sienna's is because they a solid cheap reel with one of the biggest line capacities of any 1000 series reel. Perfect for lakers...i picked two up on sale for 20 bucks a pop a couple weeks back.

Obviously you can go more expensive, but even if you blow one up (I have)...whats 20 bucks? The drag system in them is as good as any 100-200 dollar reel. Trust me i had a pike with a 20+ inch girth take my line for a ride across the entire lake last year and the thing performed flawlessly.

I think some of the laker chasers will agree as well.

You arent casting the things, so a good drag system is everything.

Edited by AKRISONER

james the reason im bringing up sienna's is because they a solid cheap reel with one of the biggest line capacities of any 1000 series reel.

And the 500 and 1000 series is on "clearance" at CTC for $30 right now based on the website. I'm going for two tomorrow