I'm sure gonna miss her

lew

I was a lucky guy and was born into a family who absolutely loved fishing and my Dad got me into the sport waaaay back about 1950. We always had a boat and my earliest memories go back to learning how to fish out of this cedarstrip and that rod & reel Dad's using is probably the outfit I learned with.

Great memories ...

Cnv1202.jpg

I enjoyed fishing my whole life and then 40 odd years ago I got my 1st musky and my focus turned to them and for the last 4 decades musky was basically the only fish I chased. We had a house trailer in the Kawarthas for 36 years and I always had a boat and spent a crazy amount of time travelling around the area musky fishing. There's an insane amount of muskies in the Kawarthas and for the most part they're very easy to catch and getting multiple fish a day is the norm, infact one morning I boated 9 fish in 2 hours. I used to average around 80 - 100 fish a year and my best season was 115 fish.

Trouble is the Kawartha muskies for the most part are smaller fish compared to a lot of Ontario. There's lots of fish in the high 40's and over the years I was able to get quite a few over 50 but there's just too many small fish and after many years I began to lose interest in the area.

I live right in the heart of the Kawarthas and am only 200' from Clear Lake but haven't fished here in 2-3 years.

I enjoy fishing the Ottawa & St. Lawrence but my favorite place is the West Arm of Nippissing and I've been going up there 2-3 weeks a year for about 12 years now. Not near the numbers of musky but when you get one it's almost always a good fish with most in the high 40's to low 50's.

rsz_4033-001-1.jpg

rsz_11007-2.jpg

rsz_11029.jpg

Trouble is the last couple years my boat has sat in my garage 49 weeks a year and only gets wet up on Nippissing as the only fishing I do now is a week in June and a couple more in August.

A group of us from this board head up to Mashkinonge Lodge on the West Arm every June for the musky opener and Regan who owns the place is a musky nut like me. We've fished together a few times and he always liked my boat and said he wanted a glass boat and he'd like to buy it. I've thought about selling it for a couple years so a few weeks back I made the tough decision to sell it and just use a camp boat when I head north.

My wife and I are heading up to Memquisit next week for a couple weeks and I've already reserved a boat for the trip.

It's a fantastic boat and I hated to part with it but it just didn't make sense to have it just sitting in the garage collecting dust 49 weeks a year.

Regan made the drive down yesterday and picked it up and I don't mind saying it was tough to see it heading down the road with him :(

Been a very long time since I was boatless but it was the best decision and it's for sure gone to a great new home.

Here it is in my garage just before it left.

001_1.jpg

Heading out my driveway for the last time.

005_2.jpg

Sure gonna miss her and my garage looks so darned empty now.

008_1.jpg

I've put some very nice muskies in that boat and she's well slimed and I know for sure Regan will continue the tradition.

Edited by lew

I'm sure it was not an easy decision to let her go Lew but yeah if it's not being used then guess it's the right thing to do...

I've started fishing the bigger bodies of water like LOTW, St. Clair and the Larry and yes some of the specimens that come out of there can't be found in the Kawarthas - that being said I still enjoy the numbers to be had here and how close it is.

Lew I know exactlly how you are feeling right now; I sold my boat 3-4 years ago for the same reasons. Couldn't justify it sitting and only being used on Bass opener weekend and a week up on the West arm. Most camps now have decent rentals; just got back this week from Elk Lake and the boat we rented from Elk Lake Resort was a very well equiped machine.

There might be another boat for me in the future; but have mixed feelings. I'm never as comfortable in a rental; I don't know all of its quirks and its abilities.

I'm thinking maybe a pontoon in or around the 20-22 foot range; it could be my fishing platform and a nice comfy coutch for the wife to come out with me?

Dan.

that's tough to do esp seeing it driven out the driveway but 49 weeks a year is too long and I hope you'll get to rent the old boat when yer up at Maskinonge ;) now about that garage. that is GINORMOUS !!! I would kill to have that garage at my home lol

enjoy memquisit Lew !

Hey Lew...I miss "The Tin of Beans" when I look out over the lake while shorefishing... This is not a GARAGE...it is a spare room... Lew's Garage.jpg This is a garage !!! 100_0461.JPG

Edited by Beans

Usually the right decisions are the hardest to make. Must have been tough to watch her go.

I'm not much of a musky guy, ok...near zero of a musky guy, but if you ever want to chase musky bait(bass) or do some musky fishing with a greenhorn, I would gladly share my boat with you.

Thanks boys, good to know most agree that it's foolish to keep a boat sitting in the garage most of the time when someone else could be using it.

I've also sold off most of my musky gear and have just kept a couple rods and a few baits that I know work up on Nipissing.

And for those that have offered me a seat in their boat, thanks very much for the more than generous offer.

And Rich, I think September is gonna be your turn for the 50.

Sorry dan668, we were posting at the same time and your right, the decision was a tough one.

If this is your 1st time at Mashkinonje your gonna love it and if you've been there before you know what I mean.

Regan and Goldie are as good as they come when it comes to running a lodge and customer service.

Have a great trip.

I remember when you bought it Lew, I think I even seen you smile the first time you hauled her up to Lakair. ;)

I never thought I'd see the day you would sell it, but I'm sure you take great comfort in knowing that she's at home and actively plying the waters of the West Arm.

Congratulations to Regan and Goldie, you've got a fine boat that I know was well looked after.

Ya know Lew. I am in the same boat (well, if you still had one) that you were in. I only use mine 3 weeks out of a year - 1 week in June and 2 weeks in September. And all the weeks are up on Nippissing and the French river. Each trip, I tow it back and forth. Might be kinda nice someday to not have to worry abut that. There may come a day here soon when I make the same call. You know that when we are together, you are more than welcome to share a seat, any time. That is, if we ever get out of the chairs and actually do some fishing. LOL

Heck, when we're together in June, you can just take it yourself. One rule though - nothing larger than 49", until I get my 50. LOL.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I went through the same trauma last summer Lew. Had a nice bass boat for 20 yrs and it still looked new. Just wasn't using it anymore and when I did go fishing I usually took the 14 foot tinny. Yhe buyer made it easy for me and gave me my asking price. Told the old gal the only thing I loved more than that boat is bacon.... shes gone too.

I couldnt believe it, when I was told you were selling bud.

If you ever want to use my pontoon Lew, your more then welcome . :lol:

Atleast you are at peace with the sale.

Whats next for you? Taking up ice fishing again? :tease:

Oh Lew, I have to say I know the feeling, been going through the same thing myself for the last couple of years now. Gave my portable ice hut to Brian, sold my boat to a neighbor for less than I know I could have gotten for it, gave my son and grand son-in-law about half my fishing rods and tackle. At some point you realize that it just doesn't make sense to keep things sitting around all year, pay insurance on them, store them and maintain them for the amount of times you use them.

It is nice to know that when we pass these things on to others they will be used and appreciated!

Good fishing!