Great diners, drive inns and dives near you? NF eating

Beans recent post about Dave's place on 35 being opened again I thought that since many of us are traveling now that's it's summer I thought good out of the way places in this beautiful Province, and outside Ontario might be shared.

If planning a trip to the north shore of Erie here are a few good out of the way good drive inns, diners and dives. Haldimand County Nanticoke, Hoover Marina right on the lake. Newly renovated and good eats. Fresh Pickerel and perch is a must.

Port Dover, Callaghan's right on the beach, guess what they have? Pickerel and perch. Try the home made sea food chowder.

DJ's Dinner on Lakeshore west of Port Colbourne. Fantastic slab of Prime Rib Sunday's special and, yep Pickerel and Perch.

Where should I eat near you?

If in downtown Hamilton Capri Italian Restaurant John St N, north of King St. real deal home made Italian. Better salsa (like you say it Big Ugly) or succo than mine sorry to say.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Anybody traveling out Nova Scotia way would be best served if they hit the Mic Mac Bar & Grill in Dartmouth. I prefer the old place over the new one but the food still speaks volumes.

I'm a wing guy so I'm always on the look out for great wings & just so happens there's a great place not to far from my house. Drums & Flats, it has a great Rock & Roll motif & plays solid music even has live bands Friday & Saturday. The wings while not being to the heat level i enjoy do offer some very tasty flavors & are cooked the right way...grilled. Just off the 401 @ Avenue Rd.

Port Dover is my Ma's hometown, haven't eaten at Callaghan's in quite a few years. Used to enjoy Port Dover as a kid before the big change. There used to be a restaurant on Walker Street where Dave's World is/was that had the best perch fry & the little amusement park out back was very cool. Thanks for reminding me I'll have to make my way down there again.

I don't eat out much but when I do I like the Burger Barn... the breakfast Monday to Friday between 8 and 10 is $5 for bacon, 3 eggs, home fries and toast..and no tax.. and the burgers are great.. I'd love to try Memphis Fire in Stoney Creek or the saltlick smokehouse downtown.. there are several new restaurants in Hamilton that look great but a lot are hipster type places.. not for me.. I also enjoyed the 541 eatery on Barton St.. it's a co-op kind of restaurant with volunteers but they have good food.. if you buy a button it goes to someone who can't afford to pay.. and the place has a 5 star rating on TripAdvisor..

Anybody traveling out Nova Scotia way would be best served if they hit the Mic Mac Bar & Grill in Dartmouth. I prefer the old place over the new one but the food still speaks volumes.

I'm a wing guy so I'm always on the look out for great wings & just so happens there's a great place not to far from my house. Drums & Flats, it has a great Rock & Roll motif & plays solid music even has live bands Friday & Saturday. The wings while not being to the heat level i enjoy do offer some very tasty flavors & are cooked the right way...grilled. Just off the 401 @ Avenue Rd.

Port Dover is my Ma's hometown, haven't eaten at Callaghan's in quite a few years. Used to enjoy Port Dover as a kid before the big change. There used to be a restaurant on Walker Street where Dave's World is/was that had the best perch fry & the little amusement park out back was very cool. Thanks for reminding me I'll have to make my way down there again.

You can't swing a cat without finding great food in Halifax, Dartmouth, sis-in-law lived in Mt. Uniak. Love the place.

I don't eat out much but when I do I like the Burger Barn... the breakfast Monday to Friday between 8 and 10 is $5 for bacon, 3 eggs, home fries and toast..and no tax.. and the burgers are great.. I'd love to try Memphis Fire in Stoney Creek or the saltlick smokehouse downtown.. there are several new restaurants in Hamilton that look great but a lot are hipster type places.. not for me.. I also enjoyed the 541 eatery on Barton St.. it's a co-op kind of restaurant with volunteers but they have good food.. if you buy a button it goes to someone who can't afford to pay.. and the place has a 5 star rating on TripAdvisor..

I lived in Hamilton for 45 years and don't recognize any of the places you mention. I have never finished all my food at The Burger Barn, it's nuts, I forgot about the Burger Barn on 4th line west off HWY 6 south. Port Dover really hasn't changed much since we went to Bucks cottages in the early 60's. Same building different names. They are still there and for sale for something like 3 or 4 million!!! I miss the bumper cars and the smell of ozone though.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Actually at a diner now that I like to go to as often as I can in Dundas called Jax sweet shoppe, retro diner style small menu but everything they do is amazing, it's in the corner of the old Collins hotel.

But yeah anywhere you go on James Street north these days are new restaurants, Mesa authentic Mexican is great, salt lick smokehouse is amazing (go for brunch and in a word, the coffee is ridiculously strong) charred rotisserie is delicious as well as knead pizza, the nice thing is they work together, you can go to knead pizza and get a pizza with any variation of smoked meats from two doors down at salt lick

Ironmaker, you forgot to mention a stop at Hewitt's on Hwy 6 after dinner.

Egg & I in Hamilton for breakfast is always good.

I also really appreciate 541 Barton, good for the community and some really good food. Buy a button.

Thought of a couple more:

The Flying Chestnut (great rustic location featuring local produce): Flesherton

Capt'n John's (I was so relieved when I found out that they moved to a different location...for a while, I thought they closed down): Owen Sound

Casero Diner (good selection of tequila and tacos!): Owen Sound

Casero Taco Bus: Sauble Beach

Root's (nice dine-in restaurant): Meaford

Amici (great pizzas, salad, and really enjoyed their French onion soup): Meaford

Bridge's Tavern (their ribeye steak was soooo good!): Thornbury

Simplicity Bistro (had their burger sliders and beef tartare): Thornbury

New Orleans Pizza (cheap and easy!): Many locations

Queen's Bar & Grill (10oz dry aged NY Striploin $21 or 12oz dry aged rib eye $25...can't go wrong!!!): Port Elgin

South Viet Thai Restaurant (pretty good bowl of Pho in Orangeville. I was skeptical at first, but when you have a craving for some noodles and hot broth, this place is good!): Orangeville

Bualai Taste of Thai (legit Thai restaurant in Port Hope!): Port Hope

Black Beans Steakhouse & Lounge (steaks are legit here): Port Hope

Truffles Burger Bar (LOTS of burger varieties including their signature $100 Truffle Burger): Cornwall

Golden Fish n Chips (sadly, it has closed...the FnC was great and the price was more than reasonable): Thornbury

The Lighthouse Restaurant (good portions with their all-day breakfast): Southampton

Ted's Range Road Diner (a little on the pricier side, but they have some daring dishes): Meaford

Black Angus (it's a butcher shop, but their pepperettes are awesome to bring with you to the river when you're feeling the hunger pains): Thornbury

Man, I so love/enjoy eating a great meal. Nothing can be a better compliment when you're out fishing the day and you're starving! I try hard to avoid the usual McDs/Timmies/etc. They have their time and place, but when you want a GOOD meal, fast food just can't fill that void! The above places have been frequented by me more than twice. :)

Some new restaurants have popped up here and there and can't wait to try them out!

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Beans recent post about Dave's place on 35 being opened again I thought that since many of us are traveling now that's it's summer I thought good out of the way places in this beautiful Province, and outside Ontario might be shared.

If planning a trip to the north shore of Erie here are a few good out of the way good drive inns, diners and dives. Haldimand County Nanticoke, Hoover Marina right on the lake. Newly renovated and good eats. Fresh Pickerel and perch is a must.

Port Dover, Callaghan's right on the beach, guess what they have? Pickerel and perch. Try the home made sea food chowder.

DJ's Dinner on Lakeshore west of Port Colbourne. Fantastic slab of Prime Rib Sunday's special and, yep Pickerel and Perch.

Where should I eat near you?

If in downtown Hamilton Capri Italian Restaurant John St N, north of King St. real deal home made Italian. Better salsa (like you say it Big Ugly) or succo than mine sorry to say.

I can only comment on Callaghan's JD. The view, awesome, the beer was cold and the plate of over priced perch.....lousy, I sent it back.

It was greasy, mushy and most importantly it was not Yellow Perch it was White Perch. Mind you the menu only listed it as fresh Lake Erie Perch.

The waitress couldn't or wouldn't confirm that is was white or yellow perch but I knew it was. Not that is was completely unpalatable, but $16.99 for a greasy plate of White Perch, no thanks.

I can only comment on Callaghan's JD. The view, awesome, the beer was cold and the plate of over priced perch.....lousy, I sent it back.

It was greasy, mushy and most importantly it was not Yellow Perch it was White Perch. Mind you the menu only listed it as fresh Lake Erie Perch.

The waitress couldn't or wouldn't confirm that is was white or yellow perch but I knew it was. Not that is was completely unpalatable, but $16.99 for a greasy plate of White Perch, no thanks.

Hey Brother, I can't believe Knecktals that own that place and a few others in Dover would try and pass of something other than Perch off as Perch. Maybe tourists may not know the difference but come on man. Come to think of it about 10 years ago they tried to tell me the Campbell's soup in my bowl was home made chowder. I told the manager who I knew from Golf if I went in the kitchen and found a bag in a box of Campbell's or Sysco soup he owed me a 100 bucks. He commpted our dinner.

I hope you said something.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Hey Brother, I can't believe Knecktals that own that place and a few others in Dover would try and pass of something other than Perch off as Perch. Maybe tourists may not know the difference but come on man. Come to think of it about 10 years ago they tried to tell me the Campbell's soup in my bowl was home made chowder. I told the manager who I knew from Golf if I went in the kitchen and found a bag in a box of Campbell's or Sysco soup he owed me a 100 bucks. He commpted our dinner.

I hope you said something.

They weren't passing off anything Bud, they said fresh Lake Erie Perch and I've no doubt they were, but not Yellow Perch which of course is what everyone would believe they are getting. Hence not a lie, but not honest either.

They weren't passing off anything Bud, they said fresh Lake Erie Perch and I've no doubt they were, but not Yellow Perch which of course is what everyone would believe they are getting. Hence not a lie, but not honest either.

OK I get that Chris, White Perch, sneaky buggers. White Perch or Silver Bass, which I like from water to pan. I can't tell the difference between White Perch and Silvers looking at them. Can you Speil? When Hydro was open we would fill the boat with Silvers. They are getting too many here trolling for Pics. They can make a mess as they won't trip a Dipsy and don't pull hard enough to trip the rigger. They will run across all the lines. 1 trip was exactly 10 minutes when 1 did exactly that and the floor of the boat was one huge carbuncklement of 4 lines 2 being garbage Leadcore after that fiasco.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

OK I get that Chris, White Perch, sneaky buggers. White Perch or Silver Bass, which I like from water to pan. I can't tell the difference between White Perch and Silvers looking at them. Can you Speil? When Hydro was open we would fill the boat with Silvers. They are getting too many here trolling for Pics. They can make a mess as they won't trip a Dipsy and don't pull hard enough to trip the rigger. They will run across all the lines. 1 trip was exactly 10 minutes when 1 did exactly that and the floor of the boat was one huge carbuncklement of 4 lines 2 being garbage Leadcore after that fiasco.

To note JD, White Perch and Silver Bass are not the same fish.

Can I tell the difference, well I have eaten both but not to the extent I have of Yellow Perch, which I've cleaned and eaten countless meals of over the last four decades, which is to say I know when I have a plate of fish that isn't Yellow Perch.

Anything in the Peterborough/ApsleyBuckhorn area ?

Swiss Bear in Apsley... hands down.

Peterborough I would go with Rileys Pub if you are down town. Porch and Pint if you got boat in tow East end of Lansdowne St.

Found this place in Keene On. on the North end of Rice Lake out side of Peterborough..... Muddy's Pit BBQ.... best pulled pork l have tasted smoked in Hickory fire $9.99 2 hander to eat...loaddddddeddd ... Smoked Cornbeef also...

DING DING DING we have a winner!

Cobourg area, Swiss Chalet on Strathy Rd. Best breakfast is at Whimpy's on Division St.

Brighton has the best breakfast around this neck of the woods. Just off 401 and hwy 30 exit, it's called JR's Midway Cafe.

To note JD, White Perch and Silver Bass are not the same fish.

Can I tell the difference, well I have eaten both but not to the extent I have of Yellow Perch, which I've cleaned and eaten countless meals of over the last four decades, which is to say I know when I have a plate of fish that isn't Yellow Perch.

I know they aren't the same but look similar. I was wondering how you can tell the difference by looking at them before they are cleaned. I know a fresh curled up yellow when it's on my plate without tasting it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker