NF - What won't a dog eat?

We lost our 13 year old yellow lab just before Christmas this year and decided we'd wait 6 months to one year before we'd think about replacing him. Two weeks of dead quite nights and nobody greeting us the door later, the hunt for a new pup was full on. The void he left was shocking. So, January 18 we picked up an 8 week old goldendoodle who despite the pee, poop, chewing, crying, mouthing, and jumping, became the center of the universe here in one week flat.

Two days ago he starting to vomit...a lot! Short story, emergency visit at 9pm, xrays at 10pm, and surgery to remove a piece of metal that had pierced his intestine at 1am! The buggar has eaten dryer sheets, toilet paper, leafs and wood but metal?? The bill so far is about $3500 and there is another appointment in 2 weeks to get the staples out.

The good news is, by sheer luck, when we took him in for his first shots in February, the vet's office signed him up for 30 days of free pet insurance - that expired 3 days after the surgery! Still expensive but no where near $3500.

Our lab once ate a Timex watch, velcro strap and all. It showed up on the lawn a day later. The vet told me he took a whole tea towel out of a golden retriever last month. Any interesting dinners for your dogs?

Ouch! I have had my dog now for almost 10 years, he behaves more like a human than some humans! LOL Outside of sticks in the yard, which he insists need killing by breaking them in pieces, and chasing the animals that wander into my yard he doesn't mess with stuff that isn't his.

i was disabled and retired when I got him though, and had plenty of time to teach him the acceptable conduct. LOL Just a great dog! and much easier to train than a wife!

Yikes that's crazy! I just got a new kitten and he just about tries to eat whatever he can, especially plastic wrappers from granola bars etc, he also managed to get a hold of a halls throat lozenge and he throws it around all by himself and keeps himself entertained for hours doing that haha, when I come home it looks like a bomb went off with his toys strewn across the main floor, basement and upstairs

Anything that gets left outside either on the ground or on the patio table is fair game for my mut. Anything from hats to metal barbeque utensils to meat thermometers, paper, socks... pretty much anything. But I could leave a sandwich on the coffee table inside all day and she wouldn't touch it though!

Good to know the dog is OK now. You'd almost think they were built to do stupid stuff like that!

Wait till one eats a ball of string and it unravels in its intestines

Two days later there is a piece of string sticking out his ass. Took ten minutes to pull all that string out.

It was like a magic trick I've seen

As a vet I always recommend insurance at the first puppy visit. At least for the first year. Preferably for life.

Young dogs get into all kinds of trouble.

Your story is common.

Foreign body obstructions, quills, broken bones, nasty lacerations, those hit by cars.

Pet health insurance is about $50 per month.

Many people have thanked me over the years for recommending it. It often pays off huge. And allows the best care available instead of plans B, C etc.

There are lots of insurance providers. Some better than others.

Check them out.

Petinsurancereviews.com

I like Trupanion. No ceiling.

My dogs eat meat and bones. Thats it.

Thank gawd

Some friends, their dogs chew up shoes(that seems to be a big one) and my dogs did that it would drive me nuts lol

I lost a really nice pair of Oakley sandals that are no longer made to a buddy's corgi, she's a lunatic and he doesn't even care to train her at all is the crazy part so my stuff goes into a hall closet or the laundry room with the door closed from now on

We had a Doberman/Sheppard cross years ago that would eat any kind of food. We used to give her stuff just to see what she wouldn't eat. Never happened, she ate it all.

I have a large vegetable garden and when I pull my onions in the fall I spread them out on my picnic table to let them dry for 3-7 days for better storage. One day I let her out in the backyard to do her business and when I went to let her back in she was on the picnic table devouring my onions. No idea how many she gobbled up. However the next couple of days she had the runs and the most putrid farts you could ever imagine. We had to leave most of the windows in the house cracked open it was that bad.

Two days later there is a piece of string sticking out his ass. Took ten minutes to pull all that string out.

That's too funny! You can tell people your dog's a pull start! LOL

As a vet I always recommend insurance at the first puppy visit. At least for the first year. Preferably for life.

Young dogs get into all kinds of trouble.

Your story is common.

Foreign body obstructions, quills, broken bones, nasty lacerations, those hit by cars.

Pet health insurance is about $50 per month.

Many people have thanked me over the years for recommending it. It often pays off huge. And allows the best care available instead of plans B, C etc.

There are lots of insurance providers. Some better than others.

Check them out.

Petinsurancereviews.com

I like Trupanion. No ceiling.

I'll be honest, I've had dogs all my life and when they said we should get pet insurance, I thought, yeah right. It was Trupanion and the 30 days free coverage saved me big time. I had a $250 deductible and you get 90% coverage. Last night I enrolled for coverage at $44.50/month...hell its the least I can do! They even paid the vets directly so I wasn't out of pocket for the entire amount and waiting for the claim to process. I see it as a must have, for pups at least.

Well so glad to hear your pooch will be okay.

Ralphie only taunts us with stuff mostly. He'll steal anything he knows he is not supposed to have (tissue paper, empty toilet rolls from the bathroom garbage, pieces of plants that have dropped off.) Then he stands there to show us and when we try to get it out of his mouth he runs. He'll only drop it if I offer him a treat (smart dog). I'm sure that's why he does it.

I did have a cat who used to eat the tinsel off the Christmas tree and as terry said, you have to pull it out of their butt. Fun times :whistling:

I know my dog won't eat white rice! I've tried to feed her a bland diet in the past to get over various stomach issues and if I don't put anything in there on top of it, the rice will sit there all day. I don't blame her.

Also, I have pet insurance and its payed off quite well. Our first year we got over $1500 back from it and we felt like we were well ahead of the game, and this year is her third year and she's going in for surgery tomorrow to get a growth removed from her ear. (little nervous)

Its nice to not have to worry about the cost at all. I don't know about you, but we definitely don't have a couple thousand dollars kicking around at all times that we don't have any intention/use for.

You should have tied the end of the string onto a reel . It would have been out in 60 seconds.

I have a Lab/Retriever mix named lucky. He ate a box of Lucky Charms cereal, including the box and the wax bag inside. He also ate three of the orange/chocolate eggs you see at Xmas, the large ones. Needless to say, he was a little frisky when we got home.

Ate a whole french loaf and the bag as well... the only things he won't eat, onions and lettuce!

He's a life support system for a gut!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Lets see Grizzly the lab mutt ate. A exhaust gaket for a 1961 comet, 1 road flare, box of strike all matches, dress blue sock, green wool sock, 2 sockets from a 3/8 drive set, the middle of a one piece lanolium  floor and wait for it 3 inch crab shell with the points intact. They all came back out either one end or another with no damage. 

The dog was as close to steve starr as you can get. 

Art

Lets see Grizzly the lab mutt ate. A exhaust gaket for a 1961 comet, 1 road flare, box of strike all matches, dress blue sock, green wool sock, 2 sockets from a 3/8 drive set, the middle of a one piece lanolium floor and wait for it 3 inch crab shell with the points intact. They all came back out either one end or another with no damage.

Holy cow, that was hilarious. The road flare was the best.

Yes glad your pooch is ok.

My late lab Remington, once took a $5 bill and gulpped in down quick, A couple days later, it came out perfectly rolled up. :w00t: I washed that thing down with the garden hose til I felt safe to pick it up. Gave it to the son to get a couple bottle of pop right after. :rofl2:

Terry,I was forever pulling strings from my Doberman,not as long as you say,but sometimes 24" or more.The look on his face was relief when it was done.We did take rope toys out of his diet lol.One time a Zehrs bag, Would not sit and agitated,looked,pulled ,whole bag out.WTH lol.

Mine has eaten all the usual stuff but never anything really memorable. My brothers boxer swallowed a lacrosse ball whole. Had surgery to remove it, then swallowed the same ball again! My bro kept the ball on a shelf as a keepsake aftwr the first surgery, and allie somehow fot it!

My lab right now wont eat carrots or oranges. Anything else is gone in one gulp. A hamburger from mcdonalds is just one inhale and its gone.....

S.

Has anyone made the mistake of letting a dog eat hot food?

Casey, and my buddy's dog Remy, stole a couple of jalapenos from my picking bins at the farm. It was the most hilarious thing you ever saw. Butt up in the air, front paws outstretched, and nose to the ground as they retched. Sounded just like a drunk teenager praying to the porcelain gods. They won't go near the picking bins anymore, but they sure have an appetite for cherry tomatoes.