Yamaha Grizzly opinions.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I have been procrastinating about buying an ATV for years now but am feeling the time is fast approaching to finally get one. I intend this to be the only ATV I ever buy and do not intend to upgrade or keep up with the Joneses once I have bought it.

I am looking to buy new but may consider new non-current depending on incentives.

My sights are set on a new 2016 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS.

I will be using it to pull 12' boats in and out of the bush, hunt/fish trail riding, throw on a 2 up seat to NEVER carry passengers on bush trails, plow around the house and the ice shack in winter, yard work including hauling big timber when I need to, and my ice fishing transport in the spring when bare ice limits my use of my sled.

Can anybody give me reasons why this would not be a good choice of ATV and if not what would be another make/model to consider?

Thanks in advance.

My 1995 350 Big Bear gets ZERO maintenance. Oil hasn't been changed since the first dealer check up after purchase. Starts every time, runs flawless. Finally needs a muffler... Moto 4 was bought by Leah's father in 1985. Don't think it's had any maintenance since the original drain plug melted out in '85 and was dealer replaced. Runs like a top. Question is does Yamaha still build them like that?

Question is does Yamaha still build them like that?

Yes, they do.

While other companies are in a race for the most powerful ATV, Yamaha has spent the last 8 years fine tuning their 700's to make them even better. They're all about quality and reliability, not power. Even so, my 07 Grizzly 700 with almost 7,000 kms has zero problems ripping wheelies without any body english (using your body/weight to maneuver the machine) even though it's been full of water twice, been in several good "mishaps" with trees that jumped out of nowhere, rolled plenty of times, and been beat on like it was stolen.

I don't know how, but it still runs and handles like new.

I've got a 550 Grizzly, little brother to the 700, only difference is engine size. They're reliable and work. Period. We had 2 450 Kodiaks at work that run the bush all summer and plowed our parking lot all winter. One over 7k and the other over 10k kms before they were unfortunately traded in because of government rules. Now we are stuck with CanAm junk.

Go with the Yamaha Simon as a Resort operator they have never let me down as my mechanic up the road says you never see them in my shop for repairs and he is a very busy and reputable mechanic here in the Parry Sound district I just picked up a new 2015 Yamaha 700 grizzly last week good luck on what ever bike you choose.

Cheers Mitch

Simon listen to them, I have an old Polaris 500 and it ran flawlessly in Ontario and runs good up here, we had some electrical issues but that was sorted out, but like I said it is older,,,,,,,,,,my son bought a brand new Polaris 700 whatever and it is a piece of s,,t

in the shop 3 times for major repairs and went back in yesterday all sorts of mechanical issues and basically he only snowplows with it,,we are considering some legal advice on it currently

Our son has done a lot of research surprisingly LOL on these machines just like the one u want to purchase and that would be his first choice

The boys prior to my posting are making a lot of sense all the reports I have been reading lead to what has already been said, they are not artsy fartsy machines intended to appeal to sex appeal, they are working on them to be reliable and hard working

Good luck

My uncle has the exact same one (non-current one as well). It's new, so reliability is unknown (but likely really good). He uses it for property work and riding. He absolutely loves that thing, even after being a HOnda ATV guy for decades, and he says he won't go back to Honda now.

A great all around choice imo. Resale is great on them too.

I don't have an ATV, infact I've never even been on one, but I've had a 150 Yamaha outboard for about 6 years now and it's been flawless and has never been in the shop other than to get a new impeller for regular maintenance and if I ever decided to get an ATV it'd be a Yamaha without even looking at any others.

I'm not a CVT guy

Bought a Honda 420 2 yrs ago.

Been flawless so far.

Lots of power and speed.

Not too big.

Power steering. Fuel injected- these things you want no matter what machine you get.

Get hand/thumb warmers and perhaps a windshield if you plan to do cold weather biking.

Edited by captpierre

I'm also in the market for a good ATV.

My choice is going to be a Honda, not because it's "better" than the Yammie but because of the ability to shift gears manually unlike the Yammies clutch/belt system. Most ATV's use the same system almost exactly like snowmobiles use.

The Honda's use a transmission that is very similar to a car.

No belts to slip or wear out and the ability to stay in a lower gear when hauling something heavy.

I know my Yamaha sled (RS Venture GT) is very difficult to put along @ slow speeds.

We had a pair of older Honda quads up @ the lodge I worked at that still run great even after 30 years!!!!

OH, and my Yamaha sled is now 8 years old and runs like a top!!!

Have never had any issues at all. :D

Edited by DRIFTER_016

nope not really gonna find a better all around atv

What he said! ^

You buy NOW!

My yamaha is a 2005 and starts flawlessly every time. Nothing bad to say, go for it!

My 1995 350 Big Bear gets ZERO maintenance. Oil hasn't been changed since the first dealer check up after purchase. Starts every time, runs flawless. Finally needs a muffler... Moto 4 was bought by Leah's father in 1985. Don't think it's had any maintenance since the original drain plug melted out in '85 and was dealer replaced. Runs like a top. Question is does Yamaha still build them like that?

Looks like x4 say go for it, thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, they do.

While other companies are in a race for the most powerful ATV, Yamaha has spent the last 8 years fine tuning their 700's to make them even better. They're all about quality and reliability, not power. Even so, my 07 Grizzly 700 with almost 7,000 kms has zero problems ripping wheelies without any body english (using your body/weight to maneuver the machine) even though it's been full of water twice, been in several good "mishaps" with trees that jumped out of nowhere, rolled plenty of times, and been beat on like it was stolen.

I don't know how, but it still runs and handles like new.

That answers another niggling doubt I had….looks like the yamaha is winning hands down so far.

I've got a 550 Grizzly, little brother to the 700, only difference is engine size. They're reliable and work. Period. We had 2 450 Kodiaks at work that run the bush all summer and plowed our parking lot all winter. One over 7k and the other over 10k kms before they were unfortunately traded in because of government rules. Now we are stuck with CanAm junk.

Governtment rules…interesting,,,what is that about? BTW my other choice was possibly looking at a can-am but was being put off with the Visco-lok as opposed to the yammies transmission. I was also finding the the amount of choice with some of the other brands confusing, Yammy offer basically 3 models to choose from, far easier to sort out what I need.

Go with the Yamaha Simon as a Resort operator they have never let me down as my mechanic up the road says you never see them in my shop for repairs and he is a very busy and reputable mechanic here in the Parry Sound district I just picked up a new 2015 Yamaha 700 grizzly last week good luck on what ever bike you choose.

Cheers Mitch

Thanks Mitch, it might take me a while to source and get the one I want, the dealerships up here are sparse on the ground and don't often hold a large inventory….let me know how you are finding your new one.

Simon listen to them, I have an old Polaris 500 and it ran flawlessly in Ontario and runs good up here, we had some electrical issues but that was sorted out, but like I said it is older,,,,,,,,,,my son bought a brand new Polaris 700 whatever and it is a piece of s,,t

in the shop 3 times for major repairs and went back in yesterday all sorts of mechanical issues and basically he only snowplows with it,,we are considering some legal advice on it currently

Our son has done a lot of research surprisingly LOL on these machines just like the one u want to purchase and that would be his first choice

The boys prior to my posting are making a lot of sense all the reports I have been reading lead to what has already been said, they are not artsy fartsy machines intended to appeal to sex appeal, they are working on them to be reliable and hard working

Good luck

LOL…yup, just give me the quad, and i'll bring all the sex appeal it needs!

My uncle has the exact same one (non-current one as well). It's new, so reliability is unknown (but likely really good). He uses it for property work and riding. He absolutely loves that thing, even after being a HOnda ATV guy for decades, and he says he won't go back to Honda now.

A great all around choice imo. Resale is great on them too.

Bingo…that's another reason I am looking at a Yammy, although I intend to keep this forever, circumstances change, and the resale value on quads is pretty good anyway up here, but the yammies are the top of the bunch when it comes to re-sale.

I don't have an ATV, infact I've never even been on one, but I've had a 150 Yamaha outboard for about 6 years now and it's been flawless and has never been in the shop other than to get a new impeller for regular maintenance and if I ever decided to get an ATV it'd be a Yamaha without even looking at any others.

Same here Lew, my yamaha 30hp needs some work this year (pretty sure it is the cracked coil on the middle cylinder) but apart from that i have never had any issues with it in 7 years and it is a 1989, and boy have I put some hours on that considering I use it at least 3 times a week may through September! And I'm dragging that thing through the bush most days too! Pretty bullet proof.

I'm not a CVT guy

Bought a Honda 420 2 yrs ago.

Been flawless so far.

Lots of power and speed.

Not too big.

Power steering. Fuel injected- these things you want no matter what machine you get.

Get hand/thumb warmers and perhaps a windshield if you plan to do cold weather biking.

Yeah, fuel injection and hand thumb warmers on the model I want, the wind shield does not look very effective, but can't hurt any i suppose.

Nothing wrong with the CVT drive, as long as you're not a complete #@&*+ driving around with the ATV underwater, there's no issues. Don't hesitate to use the low range for heavy jobs, it's made for that.

Thanks…will remember that.

I'm also in the market for a good ATV.

My choice is going to be a Honda, not because it's "better" than the Yammie but because of the ability to shift gears manually unlike the Yammies clutch/belt system. Most ATV's use the same system almost exactly like snowmobiles use.

The Honda's use a transmission that is very similar to a car.

No belts to slip or wear out and the ability to stay in a lower gear when hauling something heavy.

I know my Yamaha sled (RS Venture GT) is very difficult to put along @ slow speeds.

We had a pair of older Honda quads up @ the lodge I worked at that still run great even after 30 years!!!!

OH, and my Yamaha sled is now 8 years old and runs like a top!!!

Have never had any issues at all. :D

Yeah your sled is sweet for sure…..I got the big utility style sled so it has a low gear to haul schtuff. I hear ya about the gears but a friend of mine says the belts are very hardy on these bikes, plus North America has made me lazy when it comes to manual transmissions….lol.

Just so you know Yamaha,suzuki use a an internal wet clutch to drive the cvt not sure about honda but all the rest use the belt as a clutch. I have 13k in 4 years on my suzuki with no issues !!!

vance

Thanks Vance….I think that is along the lines of what a friend was trying to describe to me. LOL…I just nodded like I knew what he was talking about.

Yeah your sled is sweet for sure…..I got the big utility style sled so it has a low gear to haul schtuff. I hear ya about the gears but a friend of mine says the belts are very hardy on these bikes, plus North America has made me lazy when it comes to manual transmissions….lol.

I am looking at the models that have power steering and electronic shifting.

They are a 5 speed automatic that if needed can be shifted manually.

Sort of like those sports cars with the paddle shifters. :D

This is the one that tickles my fancy. :rofl2:

http://atv.honda.ca/recreation/TRX500DCTIRSEPS

I ride all the new 2016 Yamaha quads this summer at our snowmobile club summer "Yamaha power your " Yamaha brought all their models to be test driven in our trail system and the grizzly with the power steering was awesome !!! It had all the bells & whistles on it and ride like a dream with half the steering effort they have almost sold out here and the demand has been overwhelming for them !!!! If you can still get one buy it before it's gone ... There are not many left

I was worried about the yamaha drive system as well, until I beat on it a bit. So far so good. I've towed quite a few heavy loads, and ridden it out of the bush with a couple extra doggers on board during dear season many times. It hasn't quit yet. And none our doggers are lightweights either, all 220 plus lol.

Governtment rules…interesting,,,what is that about? BTW my other choice was possibly looking at a can-am but was being put off with the Visco-lok as opposed to the yammies transmission. I was also finding the the amount of choice with some of the other brands confusing, Yammy offer basically 3 models to choose from, far easier to sort out what I need.

Government rules, they rotate equipment after about 5 years and buy new regardless if it's required or not. Sometimes we can manage to keep equipment a little longer like our ATVs were 2007 and kept them until this spring. This spring coming we have 3 x 2011 RAM 1/2 tons that are going and unfortunately getting 3 new GMs to replace them. I guess I'll have to ride my bike, seats in GMs are horrible for my back.