Cleaned the boat.

captpierre

So finally got to clean the boat.

Have a black Lund. Lots of spots and dull.

Used CLR To get the spots/calcium off.

Needed a fair bit of contact time with repeated wiping.

Looks like new.

Wondering if waxing or something else will keep it that way

I have car Turtlewax that I use for the motor.

Anybody know what's best?

Mothers brazillian wax is a great product. Used to use turtle wax once upon a time. After using mothers, ill never go back to Turtle. Much better product that lasts much longer than turtle wax.

Also used to use armor all tire shine, until I tried the maguires. Wont be going back to armor all. New trailer tires sure do stay nice looking with that stuff.

I am a big fan of the RV wax from CTC, used to say it contained Teflon, but had to change that up so now its another thing- like contains PTEF or something. Goes on nice although it may need two coats if surface is oxidized some. Lasts for multiple years and dirt slides off when it rains- love it, brand is Star-Brite I think.

Mothers brazillian wax is a great product. Used to use turtle wax once upon a time. After using mothers, ill never go back to Turtle. Much better product that lasts much longer than turtle wax.

Also used to use armor all tire shine, until I tried the maguires. Wont be going back to armor all. New trailer tires sure do stay nice looking with that stuff.

.....absolutely love the mothers line up

For both glass and aluminum get a bottle of McGuire's de-oxidizer liquid , blue bottle. No need to wax and the finish will come up to a brilliant sheen. A small amount is all you need. I did an entire 28 foot cruiser with only 1/2 bottle, the other 1/2 did a 23 foot Cuddy with some still left. 20 bucks a bottle. Great stuff. Follow the instructions. I use a power buffer for putting it on then hand remove and then polish it with the buffer. 4 10" buffer pads at Princess Auto $7.99.

I have used several if the products mentioned above on my boat as well and the mothers products are hard to beat 2 times a year I do mine with a small electric hand buffer and it last a long time and works great !!! Thumbs up for mothers .... But to just wash it I use turtle wax car wash cold water formula and it works great too

I too have a black lund, I wouldnt use CLR on it, that us corrosive and may damage the paint. Treat it like your car/truck - its just paint on metal, same as the car. For water spots, use a cleaner wax, lots of good suggestions here - Meguiars and Mothers are 2 good brands that are easily bought here. Keep it waxed and the water spots wont stay.

Also, if you trailer, keep a couple of the microfibre drying towels in the boat and dry it off when you pull it out of the water - will help to keep it clean and help with not transporting invasive species.

Andrew

Several times a year my black Lund gets a thorough cleaning with a car wash/wax inside and out. Think it's Turtle Wax brand. Carpet and vinyl flooring scrubs up nice too with a brush and the same soap or, a gentle pressure washing gets any gritty film off. Don't think it hurts a thing at all and when washing the boat one might as well do the trailer too. They can be big investments, no harm in protecting that with a little effort.

• 2 months later...

Waxing a boat is nice too look at on the trailer if that's what you're into..........but within 2 or 3 times out it will no longer look like the extreme effort you put forth to get it to look like that trailer-ed boat. However, if you are selling that old boat for maximum $$$ by all means spit the shine the crappola out of it and good luck on the sale.

Waxing a boat is nice too look at on the trailer if that's what you're into..........but within 2 or 3 times out it will no longer look like the extreme effort you put forth to get it to look like that trailer-ed boat. However, if you are selling that old boat for maximum $$$ by all means spit the shine the crappola out of it and good luck on the sale.

I've found that waxing it cuts down on water staining and mineral deposits, and cleans up with little effort in the fall.. My boat is 9 years old and still looks as new as the day I brought it home.

I could never be bothered to wax a car, so I'm certainly not doing it with a boat. 9 seasons, washed with nothing but a kitchen mop and lake water. Scum line down a quick blast of Starbrite each fall, after sitting in the water for 5+ months, and a rinse. Still as shiny as the day I bought it, thanks to the PPG paint Lund used(s).

Last Monday...