First Shotgun

BassMan11

I have just received my PAL license in the mail and will now be looking to buy my first shotgun. Obviously reliability, easy to use and maintain being factors when looking at my first firearm. Uses will be from Turkey to other small game birds/animals. I would also like to get into some skeet/trap shooting at a club near my house... but I would assume that would be a different gun all together. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I will start my own research as well.

thanks for your input.

Bassman

Remmington 870 express will do everything you need to do and then some. Mine is 35 years old, has been dropped in the mud fallen out of tree stands, drowned a couple of times and it still works as well today as it ever did. I've won trap compititions with it shot ducks, deer, upland game birds, you name it. Excellent all round gun!

All depends on how deep your pockets are to be honest...

That said my first shotgun was a 870 Probably one of the most popular shotguns ever made. And highly configurable for future uses.

And it's affordable.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Yep, I'll jump on the big green wagon too...Rem 870 pump would be a good start. Still have mine two decades later (my first firearm purchase) and I've harvested just about everything with it. Right now it has a dedicated rifled slug barrel and scope on it, and that's the great thing about them, very versatile with many aftermarket options for them. Being a pump you most likely won't have any mechanical issues with them either, very reliable. Like I said though, it's a good start...I guarantee it won't be your last one! Welcome to the club.

Just about everyone gets an 870 to start. I'll be the lone dissenter, and not because the 870 is a bad gun, at least the ones of 15-20 years ago where good. Remington quality of late has been crap . If you can find an old 870 or an old Winchester 1300, you'd be better off than buying a new rem. If your pockets are a bit deeper, get a wingmaster. You'd probably have it for life. Otherwise take a look at the Brownings if yor budget allows. Good luck.

A 22 ? no......... A 410 ? no............ an 870 YES........... the only reason is I like it, its fairly affordable, quite reliable, easy to maintain, but in fairness do your homework, it is soooo easy to go beyond your budget , its like 2 footitice when owning a boat if u know what I mean, start out with something reliable and at your price point, then if you find u truly are enjoying the sport go from there, you can buy a lot of turkeys for 2000 dollars lol

I'm a huge proponent of the smaller gauges, but as a single cover-all-bases shotgun a 12 is a good place to start. Used ones are readily available from private sales or most small stores, check out EPPs website even if you're not close. It will give you an idea as to the price ranges of what might be out there. A three inch chamber gives you more options and a 3.5 inch is nice but not a must. Get the right size shot and load and you can use it for everything and then add to the collection it you want to later. Pump/auto/double is another angle. All have pros and cons that will depend on what you want and use it for most and just plain personal preference.

I would suggest the Weatherby SA-08 semi auto. Youtube it, you will not find a bad review.

The Remington express is becoming poorer as time goes on. It's prone to jamming.

If you can buy an older express, you would likely be okay, but I would still recommend an SA-08

The 870 is great for when you run out of shells, its so heavy you can use it for a club and if you have to swim with it you're gonna drown. Its a real good hip shooter but on the shoulder its a handful for a smaller guy, its a big gun. its a bit of a pop gun with light 2 3/4 but If you want to make your own fast, heavy 3"loads it can be a cannon.

Dad had an old Stevens pump that he could hit anything with right off the wall, it was just a good fit, a lot smaller than my 870.

Thanks for all the replies guys. So it looks like and older 870 (preferably a wingmaster) is the way to go for your very first gun. After looking around last night the older wingmasters are tough to find.... and there is probably a reason for that. I also like the new Benelli option as well... a little more money but boy it's a nice looking firearm. Next question would be... if I were to buy a brand new gun.... do you go wood or synthetic?

Next question would be... if I were to buy a brand new gun.... do you go wood or synthetic?

Personal preference...I'd go synthetic on a utilitarian pump-combo gun that is probably going to get dragged through the mud and abused, especially a first gun. On your next gun you can spend a lot more once you confirm your love of the sport and buy a real purdy, shiny blued, fancy walnut stocked side by side 16 gauge for grouse that you will only use while wearing cotton gloves and the sun is shining : )

Edited by Beavertail