Credit Card Theft-NF

So yesterday I opened up my MC statement and realized the money owed was a lot more then I thought. As a looked down at the transactions I noticed five that I didn't recognize. Four were from ruletap.com and one was from allotect.com. Have no idea who either of them are from. Never had this happen to me, but I knew what to do and kind of panicked. It totaled almost four hundred dollars. I called MC and told them my problem and they said they are going to deal with it. Hopefully I can get this all straightened out. Going to call them again to see if anything was fixed. Oh and to make things worst when I called MC I couldn't even understand what the lady was talking about cause her accent was pretty strong and I think she was on speed lol.

So yesterday I opened up my MC statement and realized the money owed was a lot more then I thought. As a looked down at the transactions I noticed five that I didn't recognize. Four were from ruletap.com and one was from allotect.com. Have no idea who either of them are from. Never had this happen to me, but I knew what to do and kind of panicked. It totaled almost four hundred dollars. I called MC and told them my problem and they said they are going to deal with it. Hopefully I can get this all straightened out. Going to call them again to see if anything was fixed. Oh and to make things worst when I called MC I couldn't even understand what the lady was talking about cause her accent was pretty strong and I think she was on speed lol.

Whatever you do, don't say yes to any of these trick questions;

• Is your pin easy to remember?
  • Have you written down your pin or CC number anywhere?
  • Have you shared your CC with a significant other?

Answer yes to any of these questions and they will deny you the refund.

I'm surprised they didn't call you about the transactions.

It's happened twice to me, once for 2 $50 iTunes gift cards - they got my card number from a gas station. I very rarely use the card and it is usually for gas just to let them know I'm still alive. They were going to investigate and I had to sign an affidavit saying that I did not make those purchases. With that card I always got the "you've got a great credit rating and we are increasing your amount on the card". Recently, they sent me a letter stating that they were reducing the amount do to security reasons and if I needed it increased to give them a call. A wise move on their part.

The other time (years later) was that I had made a couple of small online purchases on secured accounts, so I thought. Got a call the very next day asking about my recent transactions. Someone was trying to pay there Rogers account with my card. I was instructed not to make any payments other than the amount I legitimately owed and they would deal with the rest.

Both times I was impressed that they were on it so fast and they treated me quite well. Cards were cancelled immediately and new ones came in a couple of days. Not a big deal for me either time but rather unsettling how these crooks work so fast. Over cautious these days and that likely is still not enough.

I'm sure things will be back to normal for you pretty soon but is a pain in the :asshat: to have to go through this at all. :angry:

My wife had her card hijacked but it was corrected without too much fuss.

Credit cards rock, if you pay them off monthly.

I use my CT Options Mastercard for everything and always pay it off. Free stuff I've got- 2 BBQs, Dewalt table saw, Scotty downrigger, hunting blind etc..... tons of stuff,

I think I have saved over $10 grand on vehicles via credit card points. I currently have over $2,000 available right now... it can also be used for boats too :good:

I was also able to get a two month old 51' Plasma TV replaced earlier this year via credit card insurance.

I have also earned Air Miles and discounts on gas via credit cards.

There are a lot of benefits if you only use them for what you can afford to pay.

My wife had all her credit cards compromised by a card reader in a mall. Visa picked up on it when someone purchased tires in Quebec. Her bank card was also used along with her mastercard. All charges were paid back by the credit companies involved. We now use the foil CC holders to avoid the hassle.

When I was in England a few years back I was pickpocketed. I didn't realize my card was gone for about 8 hours along with all ID except my passport that the hotel takes and gives back when you pay the bill, thank goodness. I always thought I was too street smart to get pick pocketed, think again. I had about 50 pounds in my pocket and needed to pay for the 3 nights in the hotel and needed cash to get home. In the 8 hrs they had my card they ran up a bill of about 5 grand. Visa was good about it and wired me $1000.00 pounds. I was livid though, how can someone use a card when I have a pin number? Ok, I told them I was travelling Europe but so much for security. Apparently rural areas of the UK were not yet on the chip thing so all you did was sign. They even got the guys on camera but not much they can do sitting at their monitors at the police station. I hardly ever saw a cop in public, they are all indoors monitoring those CCTV or whatever they are called fighting crime from air conditioned offices. I now use the card for gas only at Petro Canada and that's it, another for CTC and that's it. Same for my wife gas, hotels and restaurants only. Anything else isn't mine.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I never use to answer the 800's on the phone. Picked up one day and it's TD CC we think your card was compromised.

I don't know this lady so I hung up and called the number on card, got the same lady. ITunes cards for $500.

This card I've had for 25 years and my wife had the # memorized so no big deal take the fraud charges off get new card wife hasn't memorized this # so far.

You can only 'tap' up to $100 without a PIN. I've never had issues with CC companies reversing charges that I didn't make.

You sound just like the lady on the phone at the CC company haha. "It's only $100, sir".

The fact that it's that easy to get up to $100 is brutal, imo. I'm on my statements like dirt on a pig, but most people are not, and it just opens things up to petty thieves. Plus, who needs the headaches of dealing with cc companies? If they decide they don't want to cover it.... It'll be as much fun as settling an insurance claim.

You sound just like the lady on the phone at the CC company haha. "It's only $100, sir".

The fact that it's that easy to get up to $100 is brutal, imo. I'm on my statements like dirt on a pig, but most people are not, and it just opens things up to petty thieves. Plus, who needs the headaches of dealing with cc companies? If they decide they don't want to cover it.... It'll be as much fun as settling an insurance claim.

If it was $100 of your own money then I'd worry about it, but it's not. :) Let them take all they want, I'll never be on the hook for it.

I now use the card for gas only at Petro Canada and that's it, another for CTC and that's it. Same for my wife gas, hotels and restaurants only. Anything else isn't mine.

Unfortunately, gas and restaurants are probably the highest risk places to use your credit card.

Pay at the pump should be fine; it's when you lose sight of your credit card that it gets comprimised.

Funny enough, I got a call this morning from a guy claiming to be working for the financial institution that I do my banking with. He claimed that my card had been compromised, but when I queried him for details, he couldn't answer my questions.

I hung up and call my financial institution and there are no compromises on any of my accounts or cards.

Just a heads up- if you get a call like that, hang up and call you bank yourself, using the number on the back of your card. At least then, you will know who you are talking to and will be able to sort out who is who and protect yourself.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

The attitude that we don't pay for the fraud so it doesn't matter is what the banks are counting on, to keep us as customers. Anyone with half a brain already wouldn't trust any banker further than they could throw them. If we sat down and absorbed how friggin incompetent they are with security we would probably never spend another dime without going to get it in person from the bank. LIke we had to 25 years ago.

Remember those payday lineups just to get a bit of coin for a box of beer, before debit cards and direct deposit. If we went back to that how would they outsource 90% of the service jobs at a financial institution oversees. So they want to avoid that outcome at all costs. LOL

The last time I had a card compromised, I discovered it about 20 minutes after the perp had purchased 680.00 dollars worth of software on steam... When I immediately called my CC provider, the guy I talked to seemed very alarmed that I had NOTICED something was wrong, before they could erase it. He was even more upset that I knew where and when the money was spent. He said they had just flagged the account and were reversing the charges and mailing me a new card.

I got the distinct impression if I had not of seen the charges, they would have just cancelled my card called me the next day, and sent me out a new card, without telling me anything more.... I asked him if there was anything they could see that I should have done differently and he said NOT to worry it wasn't my problem and they were going to fix everything. Sure but eventually we all know they are going to get that money back in higher service charges/interest... or they will cut back on perks they "give" away.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Yea you are right John Bacon. But who can you trust today?

When the lady or guy calls saying they can lower the interest rate I drive them nuts once and a while and they put me on the do not call list. Johnny a no homa, he go to jail because he killa the guy thata phona at mangari time.

The attitude that we don't pay for the fraud so it doesn't matter is what the banks are counting on, to keep us as customers. Anyone with half a brain already wouldn't trust any banker further than they could throw them. If we sat down and absorbed how friggin incompetent they are with security we would probably never spend another dime without going to get it in person from the bank. LIke we had to 25 years ago.

Remember those payday lineups just to get a bit of coin for a box of beer, before debit cards and direct deposit. If we went back to that how would they outsource 90% of the service jobs at a financial institution oversees. So they want to avoid that outcome at all costs. LOL

The last time I had a card compromised, I discovered it about 20 minutes after the perp had purchased 680.00 dollars worth of software on steam... When I immediately called my CC provider, the guy I talked to seemed very alarmed that I had NOTICED something was wrong, before they could erase it. He was even more upset that I knew where and when the money was spent. He said they had just flagged the account and were reversing the charges and mailing me a new card.

I got the distinct impression if I had not of seen the charges, they would have just cancelled my card called me the next day, and sent me out a new card, without telling me anything more.... I asked him if there was anything they could see that I should have done differently and he said NOT to worry it wasn't my problem and they were going to fix everything. Sure but eventually we all know they are going to get that money back in higher service charges/interest... or they will cut back on perks they "give" away.

I'll play devils advocate here.

Back in 'the day' when someone came in and committed fraud by cashing fake cheques under your account, that was YOUR money they were taking. Today they're taking the CC companies money, which one do you prefer? Also, if you were unlucky to have a cheque cashed under your account back in 'the day', I can guarantee you there wasn't a 2 business day turn around to get your money back (Like there is today). We're talking weeks if not more. As for outsourcing, it's a part of life. People tend to forget that customer service has sucked for a long time, way before those phone calls were being answered in India.

I'd much rather take todays security measures compared to the ones we had in the 80's for example. The system definitely isn't perfect, but when has it ever been?

I'll play devils advocate here.

Back in 'the day' when someone came in and committed fraud by cashing fake cheques under your account, that was YOUR money they were taking. Today they're taking the CC companies money, which one do you prefer? Also, if you were unlucky to have a cheque cashed under your account back in 'the day', I can guarantee you there wasn't a 2 business day turn around to get your money back (Like there is today). We're talking weeks if not more. As for outsourcing, it's a part of life. People tend to forget that customer service has sucked for a long time, way before those phone calls were being answered in India.

I'd much rather take todays security measures compared to the ones we had in the 80's for example. The system definitely isn't perfect, but when has it ever been?

I guess it is true what you said about someone cashing a fake cheque on someone's account, back in the day, that it would have been their money. I could care less though because I NEVER had someone else cash a cheque on my account. So not sure how big a problem it was. In my small town back then all the tellers at both branches of my bank knew me by sight... Maybe in bigger centers it was easier to cash a fraudulent cheque on someone else's account?

I have had 3 separate incidents of my cards being compromised in the last 5yrs and they won't even tell you where or how it happened... Now you just get word your card was cancelled and they are sending you a new one. Only once did they even question whether I had made the transactions or not so they KNEW before hand in 2 cases it wasn't me? Yet they couldn't stop it from going through....

The meaning of customer service to financial institutions today is more like the term used for having a prize animal serviced for breeding if you know what I mean.... We get serviced alright all the time.