Firewood question, NF

chris.brock

I'm always scrounging for wood. My neighbor in the city was taking down a big tree.

I said "if it's cheaper, get them to drop it, and I'll clean it up and take the wood"

It wasn't a recognizable species, looked like some type of willow.

It's heavy as hell, when I hit it with the maul to split it, water sprays, it's almost like it's been soaked in water.

Is that just because it's spring or will this stuff never dry out?

Any input appreciated.

Willow does not burn very well. It does not put out much heat unfortunately. Ash, oak and maple are the best. Whenever you can scrounge some of those, then we are talking.

Edited by bigbuck

Chris,

I have a different view. While oak, maple, and other hardwoods are best for burning once you get a good fire going, quick burning woods such as pine and other softwoods are great for getting a good fire started and the chimney heated up quickly. That quick heating is desirable to prevent creosote buildup in the chimney. Willow should be good for that as well. I have burned some willow on occasion. These 'low heat' woods are great for the 'shoulder seasons' when you just want a little bit of heat.

If you split it and let it sit uncovered the whole summer it will be dry enough to burn come fall. Re the water content---I helped a friend cut a birch down and it too was dripping water or sap.

Willow is soft but still doesn't make good kindling , the softwoods that are used for kindling are coniferous trees not soft deciduous like poplar and willow which tend to go punky as they dry out and smolder when burnt.

I burn the lesser woods like willow during the shoulder seasons too.......just enough to take the chill off. The "good" stuff is reserved for the depths of winter. As for the water, it will dry out eventually.

I just burn branches that fall off constantly in my yard for bonfires lol.and no kindling needed. Just spruce needles and birch bark

Sorry chris, no input here really.

When it comes to heat though, i still like ash. Boy does it burn hot

Edited by manitoubass2

Of all the woods for burning ash is IMHO the best however I have used willow, poplar, (and just about any other kind of wood I could get for free or cheap). If it is willow or bass wood (both tend to be very soft and hold moisture) Split smaller than you would your harder woods, let them dry and they will be great for those cool evenings in the spring and fall when all you want is a quick fire to take the chill off.

No free wood is bad wood!

Post a pic of the wood and maybe we can ID it.

Willow is always wet. It will dry over time though. Split it small, and let it dry in the wind/sun....it'll burn, but its not great for heating.

S.

It's heavy as hell, when I hit it with the maul to split it, water sprays, it's almost like it's been soaked in water.

Lol, I know exactly what you mean. Sounds like the basswood around here. Heavy as hell when green, super wet. Not much use for me. I burn wood to heat my home, and I've found that it's more productive to put the energy into my red oak logs, which is mostly what I burn. For kindling I get slabs.

On my property the basswood are all at the end of their lifespan, some going rotten and dropping branches. Had a huge one split and fall late last fall. It would have hit the house easily. I've had to remove a few that were too close to the house and leaning the wrong way. I had some beautiful white blocks that I offered to the woodcarving society. No takers. So I put it out at the road for free and eventually someone took it. They were destined for an outdoor furnace but they would still have been wet for quite a while.

Have fun with that willow. Make sure it's totally dry before you burn it.

Cheers

Edited by smitty55