Musky opener: what are you throwing?

singingdog

Water temps are still pretty cool here in the Highlands. Last year on opening weekend, the only fish we got were on pretty small offerings: #4 mepps, regular sized Jitterbug, 3/4 oz spinnerbaits. I'm thinking I might stick with smaller, slower presentations this weekend. What are your plans?

Small worked for last years opener for me too, but not quite as small as your baits. #5 Mepps is typically as small as I go, and I like to remove the stock hooks and go with bigger ones.

For Kawartha muskies, the #5 Mepps muskie killer is one of my go to lures. My own spinner baits also have been productive (#8 french blades, brown marabou)

Last year Fidel and I had 4-5 muskies in about 3 hours of fishing, and then I got a few more the following weekend. A slow rolling Tackle Industries MiniD also landed a nice walleye and muskie on back to back casts (from shore!)

pics added!

lj-walleye-300x200.jpg

bulldawg-muskie-300x200.jpg

fidel-muskie-300x200.jpg

rockstar-muskie-300x200.jpg

lj-muskie2-300x200.jpg

Edited by Fishing Fury

Wondering. Just how many times have you said that. Ha Ha Ha.

One of these years, I may actually listen to you.

Time to add some orange to that black bait Rich, that's all I'm gonna tell you :lol::lol:

Edited by lew

a shadrap in perch flavour twitched over some weeds ought to do the trick. I have one that is all beat to heck....lots of chomp marks and many fish caught on it....then I have another in mint condition, fish seem to ignore that one....that's the one I will give my buddy when he gets upset I am catching and he isn't :whistling:

open week. trolling a 6 inch georgie bait or fishing deep a 10 in chewie. if were runnin shallow will be heaving handlebarz bucktail in that new orange tiger pattern.

Good Luck. Seeing a lot of nice fish being caught on Mike's lures. Wouldn't mind a couple myself.

Let's see some pics of the big girls.

weve got some weeks to go up on GB, but ill be doing the same thing ive been doing since the begining of may chasing big pike, tossing #5 musky killers and #8 inlines.

my musky targeting on GB is accidentally catch a musky while fishing for pike lol. (still waiting to win the lottery)

Glide bait is a Suick or similar bait.

I'm definitely not an expert, but my go to bait up there is a black, inline bucktail spinner. I like early September better than the opener though.

PM me if you want to compare notes on Haliburton skis.

Well if the winds allow us I will start off with our blades before first light Electric black after that we will change up sizes and colours deepening on the water color here on LSC. I will also be trying out a friends Anvil jerk bait some plastic will be in the water also. Sunday we actually have plans for some trolling I have a selection of Georgies and barz that will be behind the boat looking for that one piggy to eat.

Good luck to everyone this opener and year.

Remember that Handlebarz musky lures have our 50" club going if you catch a 50" musky on our baits just send in the picture and story we will send out a 50" pack for you.

Cheers