Mosquito mania!

Reel Man

Nothing like a swarm of blood-thirsty little buggers to test your resolve during a fishing/camping trip. Not to mention black-flies that can carry you away.

So I'm curious....what is your best solution? Deet? Those patches? The stupid little Off fan that clips on your belt that mosquitos laugh at? lol

Anyone have a go-to that they swear by? I'll try anything! lol

One trick I know is to use those drink holders from Timmies, fast food joints, wherever. Keep it smoldering close by and the smoke drives them away....somewhat

Edited by Reel Man

I think it depends also on where you go camping. This time of the year is the worst I believe.

A few years ago, we camped out at Awenda PP on georgian bay and the mosquitos were pretty bad. We had to keep the fire burning,and kept applying bug repellant to keep it manageable.

The week after, we camped at Pinery PP on lake huron, and not a single mosquito! We have gone to Point Farms PP several times during mosquito season which is along the same shore of lake Huron an hour from Pinery and never had issues with mosquitos.

This is my observation at least and I feel it may be this way due to the winds coming off the great lakes reducing the severity of mosquitos at those parks.

personally I would stay away from anything up north until August.

I came across this homemade mosquito trap via Facebook and it'll certainly be something to try on camping trips. The idea is it's a homemade concoction that emits CO2 and traps them in the container. Hang a few of these around plus applying whatever DEET spray and fingers crossed, you should be golden. I've also heard taking fabric softener sheets and wiping it on your clothes or skin.

The above link is the YT video on how to make your own mosquito trap.

Up here in the NWT the mosquito is our territorial bird!!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

When trying to repel mosquito's, horse flies and deer flies I just use Deep Woods Off.

Now the black flies can be brutal at times and require a head net in order to not breathe them in.

I have seen swarms of horse flies that turn the sky black and when you come to a stop in your vehicle they attack the car due to the heat coming off it!!!!

As said, wear light coloured clothing as it helps a lot.

They foggered off, you are so clever Cliff! :)

And you are always good for a laugh my friend :clapping:

There had to have been 200 or 300 on our screen door this morning, seriously they were as thick as mosquitos! 15 minutes after fogging the yard there might have been 5 or 6 and I could walk from the house to the dock without getting swarmed. I fogged it again and now you'd be hard pressed to find 1 or 2 while sitting on the deck having a coffee.

Most places, I've found that DEET is fine. But the little buggers that breed near the causeway on Mitchell Lake seem to have built up a resistance, one good slathering only lasts about ten minutes, max. The most tenacious I've run across yet.

The black flies and skeeters on the north side of our place will pick you up and carry you a few feet, 250 feet away on the lake side I have never seen a mosquito in the 20 years we have been here. I had guests once that complained about the mosquitos at the tennis court. I mean were p'd off complained like it was my fault, I told to go to town and rent a room. Funny, I've never seen them since.

When I am in skeeter territory I find something with a good amount of Deet is the only thing that works. I know they put much less Deet in Muskol than 30 years ago. I get the good stuff from a kid in the Military. I wouldn't use too much for a prolonged period of time, it is nasty stuff. No children should use large amounts of Deet if any.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Clothing is where you should start first

Long sleeves, good socks, pants and even a light jacket.

Pack a few neck buffs ( the ones for the sun)

There are 2 kinds of head nets - green for Mosquitos and grey for black flies

I always sprays my head nets with deet and keep them in a plastic ziplock bag

I've done a load of May-June back lake trips in temagami and learned the hard way

Once your properly clothed a little deet bug spray on the hands is easy

Tight woven nylon clothing in light colours. Can't bite through it. Sun protection and dries quick when it gets wet.

Lots of guys swear by those thermocell (thermacell?) I haven't needed them but I'd be willing to try one when the time comes.

Edited by kickingfrog

B1 or B Complex get into your sweat and are supposed to help against mosquitoes and ticks. Not a full solution but it seems to help. The Thermocells work but don't sit too close or downwind they will make you weazy and light headed.

For in your yard a Mosquito magnet or some of the other traps will make a difference.in your yard, sometimes the trap is half full but just a few this time I emptied it. Put it away from the house, where there is no breeze helps and next to plants.

I have heard of some up north that have to empty it daily but I find once or twice a week is good and I can check on the propane.

MosquitoMag2.jpg

Edited by mosquito

B1 or B Complex get into your sweat and are supposed to help against mosquitoes and ticks. Not a full solution but it seems to help. The Thermocells work but don't sit too close or downwind they will make you weazy and light headed.

For in your yard a Mosquito magnet or some of the other traps will make a difference.in your yard, sometimes the trap is half full but just a few this time I emptied it. Put it away from the house, where there is no breeze helps and next to plants.

I have heard of some up north that have to empty it daily but I find once or twice a week is good and I can check on the propane.

MosquitoMag2.jpg

We tried a couple of those propane powered magnets @ the lodge on Great Bear.

They did work but there are so many skitters they had to be emptied every 10 minutes.

We stopped using them after a couple of weeks. Way too much work. ;)

I know in our yard it keeps them mostly concentrated in the one area which helps and it takes a couple weeks before we start to see the population drop effect from removing the females from the population.

If you are willing to try maybe you can cludge something together. If you still have one around, cut a hole in the bottom of the trap and the housing with a hose running to a 5 gallon pail. As long as pipe and bucket were tightly sealed and the air went out the normal place I think you would see the mosquitoes fall into the pail and by the time it was full I think it might have had a tiny impact there.

bought a buff to use while fishing flats in mexico, thought id never use it again in Ontario until i realized that its the best insect repellent you can buy lol.

Blackflies are insanity right now in Pointe Au Baril, been pulling the buff up over my ears and face...a quick spray of muskol on the forehead where my hats not covering and I am invincible.