WIND? How much is Too Much?

Those are 2 entirely different scenarios.

From a safety point of view Kawarthas are frog ponds compared to Lake O.

Can always hide along calmer shoreline or island on a smaller lake.

From the comfort angle, anything over 15-20 km/hr makes fishing/boating frustrating IMHO.

If there's a good chop I don't bother at all. If the point of fishing is to relax and have fun, why fight waves?

Some of the best days I've had are during a decent chop.. Fish stack up, get hungry and they're pretty simply to target.

For comfort i like 10-15

But i dont think ive ever missed a trip based on the wind. If its 30 or higher ill be trolling.

It does matter to me if im shore fishing though. If i got 40k wind in my face forget about it

Edited by manitoubass2

Kawarthas? I don't worry about it. Always somewhere you can go. For st Clair I think 20 km is about the most I want to deal with...although direction will alter that decision as well as how desperate am I to go...and I'm usually pretty desperate

Some of the best days I've had are during a decent chop.. Fish stack up, get hungry and they're pretty simply to target.

I know I'm missing out big time fishing wise.

Just hate fishing in the wind, especially solo. Would rather find a sheltered area or just stay on shore.

Just drift over a weed bed and cast with spinner baits or lipless cranks. I have caught a lot of fish with that technique.

Wind will keep off Lake Ontario; but nothing less than a hurricane or tornado is going to be an issue in the Kawarthas.

Dont fight the wind, use it. I like windy days. Its like cover for fish, they're out and about looking for an easy meal rather than sulking in the shade when its calm.

Im going tomorrow and they're calling for 30k winds....yeehaw!

S.

Well like Shane said use the wind and fish the windward side for walleyes they love that !!!! Some days the windier the better ..... The kawarthas never blow up to the point where it's not fish able but if you don't feel safe then don't go depending on how small your boat is ....

i generally get frustrated if i have to spend more time maneuvering the boat then fishing...I called off Rice today because they called for 25km with 44km gusts :( I only have a 16 aluminum.

My boat is more than safe enough for 20-25 km winds.Without down riggers in open water in my area,I won't even try fishing there in anything above 10km's.Having said that,smaller bays ,casting,windward side is just fine.I guess the equipment you have and the size of the boat sure makes a difference in your comfort zone.

As Bill was saying some of the best days of fishing is when you have a good chop on the lake that being said last year on our fly in trip to Anjigaming and Morin Lake we fished 4 days out of the 7 as a major cold front came in with it we had torrential rain fall and it blew a gale for 3 days it was not safe to be out on the water.