My old ship is going down

lew

Back in my Navy days in the 60's I served aboard HMCS Annapolis. She was a great ship and I covered a lot of salt water aboard her.

After she was decommissioned years later a private company bought her from the Canadian government with plans to sink her off the west coast of British Columbia and use her as a dive sight.

The sinking was fought in court for years with enviromental groups who were opposed as they thought it would pollute the waters, but the fight is over now and my old ship will be going to the bottom this coming Saturday.

Sad to see her end like this but I spose it's better than being turned into razor blades.

http://artificialreef.bc.ca/images/Documents/Annapolis/Annapolis%20Sink-%20Press%20Release_%2025%20Mar%2015.pdf

Here's a couple pictures of her in better days

10317683_877042585687806_368430124798846

C4HMCSAnnapolis28ii29d.jpg

And here's one Terry did years ago when he made it my musky boat :lol:

Cnv0275.jpg

Don't know if any of you guys are interested in this stuff but any skuba divers around here would probably like the opportunity to dive around an old warship.

Thanks Bruce, I had more than a few wets aboard the old girl back in the day and If I was a couple thousand miles closer I'd be there wishing her farewell in person this Saturday.

Like you said Lew better to be of some use than turned into razor blades. Thinking about all the furnaces and mills that have been torn down at the old plant saddens me. They provided good paying jobs for thousands of families over the years and many have sacrificed much to keep them running. Lives were lost there unfortunately as well. No statues, plaques, anything, just brownfields. It is sad but that's progress I am told.

I am sure that she will be put to rest with the utmost honor that she deserves Lew. The pride of helping protect the country and world is something that some can not grasp until they have signed up for service. Once there, the bond between shipmates and the ship that they lived on is stronger than people can imagine.

Rest well HMCS Annapolis you have earned your next mission of peace.

Art

Thanks guys, and if I'm correct, Annapolis is the last remaining ship of this class so this may be a fitting tribute to what was a very modern anti-submarine weapon when they 1st came out in the late 50's.

Go down to the mess. or legion, and have a wet. Wish the old girl well, and offer up Monday's and Sunday's toasts.

I'll have a wet in her honour too.

That's a darn good Idea... I'll be sure to throw one back as well. And I agree with Spiel regarding a burial at sea... and Lew's comment about razor blades... Thanks for serving Lew!

i thought a true sailor goes down with the ship :canadian:

Only the captain.

First rule of service in the navy. You may be expected to give your right arm for the Queen , but always save the other for yourself.

Edited by bigugli

Wow !!! That's amazing !!! I see they have been doing that with a lot of old ships making dive sites and artificial coral reefs and habitats for fish and marine life !!! Great ship Lew !!! Must bring back lots of memories !!!! Great stories behind it all as well !!!! And again that's for serving our country !!!

I see they have been doing that with a lot of old ships making dive sites and artificial coral reefs and habitats for fish and marine life !!!

Seems like it's quite common down around the clear warm waters of Florida Shaun. I saw a show a couple years back where they sunk an old American aircraft carrier.

My brother served on HMCS Columbia which was similar to my ship and it was also sunk off Canada's west coast a number of years ago.

Well, it's over.

My old ship, HMCS Annapolis was sunk off the coast of BC this afternoon and it looks as if everything went as planned and she'll now be home to fish and a recreational dive sight.

If anyones interested, here's a 15 minute video but the actual sinking doesn't take place until the 10:40 mark

Sad to see it happen but now many more folks will enjoy her.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEctEZpRh_AU&ei=3lcgVeCPNs6XyATF0YGACQ&usg=AFQjCNE1G1KCgpE6JCfVgiPi1frKMGO58A