Ways to save money-NF

LostAnotherOne

I try lots of little things to save money. I've been for a haircut only 2 times in the last 10 years, I always cut it myself (that include the beard too).

Living in the GTA, parking is always a big waste of money to me. I typically park almost a KM from my office and walk in rather than spending the $7 a day for parking near the office. Exercise is good too!

I always look for deals on groceries. There are several sites out there that will tell you all the best deals on groceries, not to mention special credit cards that give you rewards such as the PC Mastercard - although as mentioned above, staying away from credit cards is probably a better idea!) I always wait for sales on stuff I need/want from places like Canadian tire you can often save over 50%

I also save a few bucks making my own spinner baits - and occasionally selling them.

One of my favourite fishing related tips is making sure you use the right gear for the job - this is particularly important with pike and muskie fishing. With the wrong gear you will be replacing those $20-30 lures way to often! I rarely ever lose lures since I beefed up my line/reels/rods several years ago.

-Gather and heat my house with wood

-Get as much wild food as possible (mushrooms, fiddleheads, deer if possible, berries)

-Big garden, learning to freeze/store stuff

-Raise rabbits and chickens for meat (chickens this spring)

-Keep my insurance at bare minimum

-Don't go shopping/looking/window shopping/avoid amazon and ebay

-Garage sale, kijiji, and also sell off things I don't use or can turn a profit (for example I made $80 selling old doors and a bottle collection the other day)

-I dont' do lawn care and I don't care if my driveway is plowed properly (mind you I live in the middle of nowhere) which means no expensive lawnmower or blower

-I collect scrap metal when I find it

-My phone and internet are of very poor quality, but it works and it's cheap.

-avoid eating out as much as possible. This is a very tough one! But 80% of my meals are made at home.

-Think of fancy brand names as people who only want your money and laugh at you.

-Wear white t-shirts everyday haha.

-price matching at grocery stores (wife's job)

-taking advantage of points programs when they are actually free. With AirMiles I cash in points for RRSP vouchers!

list goes on haha

Edited by Rod Caster

On a different line of thinking, my wife an I make meal plans for the week.

We write them on a white board.Located on the fridge. Saves us a LOT on the monthly grocery bill, not buying unnecessary items. We would easily spend 200-300 a week on groceries, with a lot of the frozen goods being tossed in the garbage after freezer burn etc. or running out last minute for items and not buying on sale...

We look at the flyers and what's on sale and base our weekly meal plan off those item on sale.

We have cut our monthly grocery bill almost in half buy shopping for only what is needed to make our meals for the week.

It also stopped the "what should we have for supper tonight?" And running to the grocery store to buy all the items needed.

It has saved us a ton!

We also only do laundry, run the dishwasher etc during off peak hours. Mostly hand wash but sometimes we use it when company is over.

We have lowered the temp on our hot water tank. I don't need scalding hot water to have a shower.

We have cut cable and our home phone. Who needs a landline when we both have cells.

Pay in cash. We both have credit cards... They are barely used, if I don't have the $$$ now we can't afford it. So we don't buy it.

Only having my income right now as Lyndsey is off due to the baby... The items above have helped tremendously while still allowing for savings.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Buy your gas at CTC with cash.. after going in the store and getting a coupon for 12 to 15X CTC money. You need the gas regardless... the CTC money buys your tackle.

And what Lew said... if it's not in your pocket to spend, you don't need it. Call us dinosaurs.. but don't call us stupid!... or old as someone decided to yesterday.

I save my money by browsing all the store flyers, before heading out to fill my Pepsi addiction for the week! That can save 40 bucks a week right there... :whistling:

To be serious for a minute, Have a freezer? Sell it. You are paying big bucks in Hydro rates to keep frozen the on sale meats that you will throw away with freezer burn in 6 months.

Have a cell phone will all the Apps, you don't need it no matter what you say unless it's for business to make you $$$$. I pay Koodo $21.50 taxes in to use it to call home, 911 or *16.

Have a toy you are paying interest on, sell it.

More vehicles than drivers, sell it.

Spend no more than 10% of your net on hobbies and entertainment, including fishing.

Now here's the biggie that made the Millionaire Barber a millionaire and many self help financial gurus rich!!!! Spend less than you earn.

The real thing is to learn what a good budget is, make one with help from an unbiased party and live by it. But make sure you take the time to live. Living well is free.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Buy what you need. Not what you want That goes for food, household, fishing.

Pardon my frugal nature, but I've yet to see actual need for a $700 rod or reel.

Do the research, compare shop. Groceries are bought on real sales. A lot of flashy flyers are not offering good deals. Stay away from the supermarkets. Buy bulk, buy from the farm, can and freeze. All make a huge difference. The family grocery bill is still under $100 a month over 20 years..

Biggest thing I learnt. Brand names and designer labels are no longer a guarantee of quality. If the label is important, then saving money is not.

Edited by bigugli

Not buying Tims, I watch my co workers spend $8 a day some days on just coffee, I could buy a whole tub that lasts me months for $8! I also use the "flipp" app you can search the app for what you're looking for and where its on sale shows up.clothes I generally don't go shopping unless there's sales...

I kijiji for most of my stuff before buying something new, and do sell stuff if I have no use for it

I pay myself on every paycheck. It comes out just like a bill payment, been doing for a while.

We use a lot of tomatoes so we make our own sauce, some cured meats.

No credit card if we use it it has to be as all amount. Good to have when you need it.

been buying my gas at COSTCO for a few years and that helps a lot.

Alway stock up on goods on sale if it lasts. make my own wine and have been for 38 years.

A case of beer last three months:) Don't like the hard crap so it's nevr bought or served.

I don't like restaurants or coffee shops :)

Looking forward to family day this year :) the kids are planning a family brunch starting with breakfast and leading into a late lunch, all home cooked for 10 adults and 7 little ones. I heard fish, fruit pancakes,bacon eggs ashbrowns and even champagne with orange juice, could not do this in a restaurant!

Check out the hot deals forum on redflagdeals.com If it is on sale in Canada it is probably listed on there somewhere. What is really interesting though is the people on there aren't usually satisfied with a 50% off sale, they want free shipping, a coupon two stacked, along with points for cash back from another site for every deal.

Another old dinosaur here,

I just dont buy it if I can't pay cash for it, gas, groceries, tackle, even my vehicle and boat.

Generally speaking, you get a better deal on almost everything when paying cash.

I do have a couple of credit cards just in case, but never carry a balance.

Very good points here! I'm a fanatic with reading grocery flyers. My Friday is not complete until I read the grocery flyers. Why in hell would I pay $14/ lb for steaks when I know they're gonna be on sale for 6.99 soon. If I'm wanting a steak BBQ & nothing on sale I buy a cheaper cut of beef. Nothing wrong with top sirloin. 2 years ago I received info about a credit card which pays me 1% back on all my purchases. Jan 4 they credited me with $265.00 for my last years purchases!! Also entitles me to many other bonuses

Free safety deposit box

free roadside assistance - applies to both myself & my wife & covers ANY vehicle we may be driving - even other peoples vehicles!

No annual fee

No monthly bank fees - I used to pay $14.95/ month

Free collision coverage when renting a vehicle

Make sure my card is paid in full or 19.9% interest such as most other cards.

If you need a tool wait for CTC flyer - guaranteed that particular tool will be 1/2 price shortly!

I agree with Ironmaker - if paying interest on a loan for a toy -sell it.

Irish says we're old dinosaurs - speak for yourself! LOL! Bet I'm older than you & better looking LMAO!

If you require a large item - get a line of credit on your house - interest is usually around 2.9%. Regular bank loan interest on recreational vehicles is usually around 7%.

Ironmaker says apps for your phone are a waste of $$$ - Did you fall on your head?? LOL!

It would take far too long for me to type in all the things this cheap bugger does to stretch a dollar. But I'll share a few of my fav's.

Rent your cottage out to winter tenants. Once we paid the mortgage the cottage is now free...there rent cheques cover all our costs and then some.

Go garage saling. Pretty much everything in the cottage was a garage sale find....and lots of tools and other things at home too. Couldn't begin to add up all the money we have saved over the years doing this. Plus you meet some interesting folks while sipping your morning coffee and looking for treasures.

Get a PC Financial MasterCard and only use it to purchase groceries....the points add up...about $250-$300 a year...which we then spend in May when we move into the cottage and have to buy everything for the fridge bathroom and laundry supplies etc etc... just the same as all you folks that move back into your trailers every spring.

Check the grocery flyers every week for deals. Also do your regular shopping at No Frills or similar. Used to go to a Loblaws because it was closest. Big mistake. Far more $$$ for everyday items...it all adds up. I however can not endorse price matching. I think it's the most inconsiderate thing a person can too to the poor souls stuck behind you in line. I may be cheap....but I refuse to be THAT person.

Make your own booze. We do wine both white and red. $4 a bottle compared to the $10-$15 or more a bottle that we used to spend. Our white is really good. We have got used to the red.

Make your own coffee at home and pack a lunch for work...You just saved a minimum of $30 a week right there.

The next big one is go back to being a one car household when we retire. I want to give it a shot...Debbe not so much. We will see how that one plays out.

We forage alot and thats awesome, great to teach the kids and its a great bonding time out in nature. We get alot of teas that we all drink. I used to be a pop fiend so we save alot on that just by drinking tea instead

a few years back we all stopped drinking milk. I occassionally use almond milk for cooking but no milk saves alot especially for us.

freeze, pickle, canning saves tonnes, just requires some time.

we bought shares in a farm. Best purchase ever!$750 got us easily 2-3000 in meat and fresh herbs and produce. Plus they taught us how to can and are just a great family to deal with.

my wife makes homemade toothpaste and its awesome, same with balms etc.

we cook from scratch 95% of the time. With that comes buying in bulk.

i try to drive and mukti task. If I need to go to hockey with my son, thats when I drop off garbage and shop or whatever.

no cleaning supplies in our house at all. Just vinegar and water.

we fill our water jugs for free at a relatives house.

use leftover fish or animals for dog food. I cant hunt(no PAL yet) but my wifes cousin always drops off a couple deer per year. All the scrap feeds the dogs. We process the deer ourselves.

Buy bulk flour. You would be amazed how many things you can make with flour.

learn to bake bread. Its amazing anyhow and very cheap. I can make 2 loafs of bread for probably 30 cents.

i keep my heat off during the day. Doesnt bother me one bit.

Make your own sauces, they taste better anyhow

live within your means. With cash. "My dad once told me to keep your bills within one weeks pay, thats what you can afford"

Another good one that may take time to pay off but will one day, never hesitate to help people in your community. One day itll come back and save you. Make friends with skilled tradesman lol, if your an idiot like me. Got a plumbing issue call your bud lol, invite him over for a beer and supper. Ie a few years back I got my shower redone with a piece we found for free from a homeowner. Buddy installed it for 30 pieces of frybread. So it cost about an hours work and maybe 5 bucks lol

Edited by manitoubass2

we fill our water jugs for free at a relatives house.

That's a big one, I laugh at a lot of the ones that just have to drink bottled water. I pay about $2.00 for a cubic meter, that's a 1000 litres or 2000 - 500ml bottles. Run it through a Britta and it gets rid of the chlorine taste. If I really want to get cheap, I just go downstairs and fill from the sandpoint. I realize there are the ones who have horrible ground water, but you can save a lot there.