I never knew ????

bigugli

For the longest time i could never understand the great dislike many muskie anglers had for Darryl Choronzey. That was until I got my hands on one of the Chronz's cookbooks. "The Angler's Only Cookbook, 1983, is an absolute wealth of recipes for freshwater fish. Included are 12 enticing recipes for muskellunge. Included in this collection are such perennial favourites as:

Bath Lunge and beer fry;

St Lawrence balled musky;

Penatanguishene stuffed lunge;

Hungry Man's muskie stew, and...

Moira lake musky and tomato.

Reciting this list almost would almost sound like grandpa from HeeHaw. LOL.

There isn't much of anything that swims good old Cronzie didn't have a recipe for. He is a love him or hate him type of personality. Either way I like that he told it the way he saw it, take it or leave it, sponsors be dammed. I guess his sponsors decided to leave it. He sure knows his stuff when it came to Salmon and Bows up Huron way. Someone said he was retired. A guy like Darryl would never retire from TV if given the choice I strongly believe.

Be careful what you say about Musky, it's legal to keep them and eat them. I hear they taste just like chicken.

I miss his fireside chats slamming the Ministry and all the pencil neck geek scientists.

There isn't much of anything that swims good old Cronzie didn't have a recipe for. He is a love him or hate him type of personality. Either way I like that he told it the way he saw it, take it or leave it, sponsors be dammed. I guess his sponsors decided to leave it. He sure knows his stuff when it came to Salmon and Bows up Huron way. Someone said he was retired. A guy like Darryl would never retire from TV if given the choice I strongly believe.

Be careful what you say about Musky, it's legal to keep them and eat them. I hear they taste just like chicken.

I miss his fireside chats slamming the Ministry and all the pencil neck geek scientists.

Agreed,loved his shows and his straight no nonsense this is the way it is attitude.

...Be careful what you say about Musky, it's legal to keep them and eat them. I hear they taste just like chicken...

My grandfather caught a 20ish pounder back in the late '80s. He had never caught one nor had my father and I ever seen one. We took it home and like most old Finns, we ate whatever we caught. It did not taste like chicken. Maybe digested chicken. We ended up finishing it so as not to waste, but I have never felt the need to eat one again.

i cant say that I disagreed with his one saying (paraphrased) "care for the lake you eat from"

basically pointing out that if you eat a shore lunch, and teach your kids the same, you will end up caring about the lake more than the person who disregards the lake as a food source.

At the same time, a lot of us out there are catchers and releasers. Im more of a "catch and sometimes eater" It is true though, the people i most often see polluting and destroying the lake i.e. throwing torn plastics, cut lines, dumping oil, throwing smokes etc etc all in the lake are guys fishing.

Its unfortunate but true.

I like that saying "care from the lake you eat from" you can add "drink from" too. He could be annoying, I didn't like that he ate most everything he caught . But it is everyone's right to do so if legal I suppose, If I said I was 100% catch and release that would be a lie. We keep at least 2 or 3 Walleye and will maintain my possession limit of Perch over 10" here on Erie. On some lakes that have a slot or is stressed I don't keep any fish. I could miss a few meals and it wouldn't kill me or the scale. Erie has plenty of fish to go around. You should see what they bring in on the commercial boats out here. I would never be able to catch that many fish that are in one mornings catch in a few lifetimes. What bothers me are the very large Smallies that are incidental catches. It can't be helped at times I'm sure as a net can't tell a big Bass from a medium size Pic, can they? I'm told by a local that has owned his own fleet of fishing boats that the Bass are supposed to be thrown overboard ASAP, even though they are toast by then.

Hey Fisherman. What's your problem?

I don't know you I don't think. That sounded like an insult aimed at me and yet we have never met or even interacted on this board . Are you buddies with Chronzy. If so, good for you for sticking up for him. If not, we are all entitled to share opinions on this site are we not?

To clarify, I found his pontificating at the end of each show to be annoying.

Edited by landry

Hey Fisherman. What's your problem?

I don't know you I don't think. That sounded like an insult aimed at me and yet we have never met or even interacted on this board . Are you buddies with Chronzy. If so, good for you for sticking up for him. If not, we are all entitled to share opinions on this site are we not?

To clarify, I found his pontificating at the end of each show to be annoying.

Not an insult, everyone can be annoying..to someone. I found him to be informative, passed a lot of true info to anglers, didn't put up with the bull granola such as restocking Atlantic Salmon. I know of him, met him once and although he may rub you the wrong way, he's not a buddie. I wish there were a few more of him around that would "pontificate" in the right direction.

There are a few 'memorable' anglers, that have made their mark on Canadian TV, in regards to fishing, on the tube, and in our awareness. Red Fisher and Daryl are one and the same IMO. Izumi and Reno/Angelo/Pete are different.

With Daryl, you always knew that he was going to be cooking and eating the catch, at the end of the show. Sometimes in the middle as well. Thankfully, no poems yet....

The sponsors were quick to reap the benefits, and equally as quick to withdraw their favour.

Good for Daryl! It provided him with an income, and retirement that most of us dream of.

The rest of us can wish that we had the ba!!s to put our families survival on the line to pursue the dream. Worked out well for him then. Probably never again for anyone else.

Just my opinion

There are a few 'memorable' anglers, that have made their mark on Canadian TV, in regards to fishing, on the tube, and in our awareness. Red Fisher and Daryl are one and the same IMO. Izumi and Reno/Angelo/Pete are different.

With Daryl, you always knew that he was going to be cooking and eating the catch, at the end of the show. Sometimes in the middle as well. Thankfully, no poems yet....

The sponsors were quick to reap the benefits, and equally as quick to withdraw their favour.

Good for Daryl! It provided him with an income, and retirement that most of us dream of.

The rest of us can wish that we had the ba!!s to put our families survival on the line to pursue the dream. Worked out well for him then. Probably never again for anyone else.

Just my opinion

Well put

Anda here we go. Musky are the sacred fish, no they are not, yes they are, nope, yep.........

Fisherman, darn right it was meant to be an insult. To say it wasn't after it's out there is like a politician trying to take something back and it can't be done. Uncalled for. Having said that I have accidentally pushed the post window and wished I didn't after a few Dr. Smirnoff's on the rocks. More than a few times for sure, right BigUgli?