Target Liquidation

DRIFTER_016

They kicked the veterans out of their stores for selling Poppies.

Target can kiss my

Let's stick to facts shall we?

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/target-insists-controversial-poppy-policy-was-a-misunderstanding-1.1469110

“We agreed that outside the front doors would be ideal and obviously if the weather is inclement or they prefer they are welcome to stand inside the double doors as well,” said company spokesperson Lisa Gibson in a statement.

They did not kick veterans out of their stores, they simply said people selling poppies can stand outside the front doors to sell poppies and they could setup shop inside during bad weather. That is 100% acceptable and 100% fair. How on earth can you criticize Target for making their free choice when the poppy is a universal symbol of freedom? Wars were fought to allow us the opportunity to make our own free choices, yet some believe Target should have been forced to let people sell poppies inside their stores? Let's force someone to promote freedom?

Personally, I despise being harassed by anyone standing at the front of the store looking for handouts or to sell me something.

I counted 7 times I was asked to contribute to a charity at the checkout and 9 places I went to with the Sally Anne bucket brigade out front. All in one Hellish day Christmas shopping. I do the wait until the kid selling apples is not looking and sneak in or out. Or tell them I'll get them when I leave and then hide behind a family leaving. That is only after I have already given.

They are called "Donation Boxes" for a reason, you don't want to donate then don't!

I support a variety of charities but I have a budget, when I have reached that budget then I do not donate anymore. I have never fealt that I had to be ashamed to say "thank you for the opportunity but I have already reached my limit for this year".

Oh, and when I was just out of the army and got offered a job in Sudbury but didn't have a place to stay or money to eat until I got my first pay cheque. It was the Salvation Army that gave me a room and fed me everyday for free until I could get my first cheque. After that, they charged me a whole $10.00 a week for a room and meals until I could save up enough to get my own place.

When my house burnt to the ground and my wife, son, and I escaped with nothing but our lives it was the Salvation Army that gave us food, clothing and enough basics to get us going again. They will always hold a very special place in my heart and as you might imagine no matter how tough times might get for me, I can always find a few spare dollars to donate.

The businesses that are left owing won't hurt. They'll just use it as a write off. Bad enough the Government, again, let big business slide on the tax bill owing. Which means the taxpayer is on the hook again. The only advantage to anyone is the fact that the taxman gets paid off first, then the banks, and on down the line.

Agreed.... And the folks that work there should receive 16 weeks "severance"....... But they have to work to get it....

Severance my arse. More like you work even harder then you had to before as we have to empty our warehouses..... And appreciate it. A giant slap in the face, especially to those that are just getting by....

Target came here with a lot of promises and brouhaha ... They screwed us plain and simple thinking their American model could work here, without the American prices or the supply chain or logistics to see it through.... Brutal!

Target came in.... Bought up a Canadian company and failed. Horribly.

I see a class action suit in the making. And the Feds should use this farce as an example of why America should not be buying up Canadian firms

17,000+ out of work..... The people that need these jobs the most.....

I blame the Feds for this farce, for allowing this to happen. There should have been conditions..... Much like I blame the Feds for the Stelco crapshow.....

Makes no sense to allow this to happen.

Sick to my stomach....

G

Why would you want the government involved to investigate?

They came here and promised everyone the world and that they were going to going to reinvent the the Canadian retail market space and they failed miserably. Just like Canadian Tire did in the states in the 80's and how Tim Horton's has failed in the States over the last 10 years which forced them to sell out to Burger King.

This is business and how it works, if you do not provide the goods that customers want at a time they want them at the price they are willing to pay you fail and go out of business

Target came in.... Bought up a Canadian company and failed. Horribly.

I see a class action suit in the making. And the Feds should use this farce as an example of why America should not be buying up Canadian firms

17,000+ out of work..... The people that need these jobs the most.....

I blame the Feds for this farce, for allowing this to happen. There should have been conditions..... Much like I blame the Feds for the Stelco crapshow.....

Makes no sense to allow this to happen.

Sick to my stomach....

G

They didn't buy a Canadian company. Zellers was being shut down regardless of whether Target came here or not. Target just took over some of the leases for locations that Zellers was vacating.

It is sad that people are losing their jobs; but those jobs would not have existed in the first place if Target hadn't expanded into Canada. Some of the those people who are losing their job may never have had one to begin with if is wasn't for Target.

Many people left good paying jobs (not the retail folks, but the management folks) for grandiose promises from Target.

There is no going back to their original jobs.

Now with that said, if it's too good to be true, it likely is....

Some of the folks who left existing jobs really should have considered that.

They didn't buy a Canadian company. Zellers was being shut down regardless of whether Target came here or not. Target just took over some of the leases for locations that Zellers was vacating.

It is sad that people are losing their jobs; but those jobs would not have existed in the first place if Target hadn't expanded into Canada. Some of the those people who are losing their job may never have had one to begin with if is wasn't for Target.

I work with a fella thats wife worked for ZELLERS. She was a full timer. Was not offered a place at the new store here in Barrie. She was told to apply for a postion. That to me, is very bad and really really RUDE.

Hey

Don't get me wrong... I'm a walmart employee (distribution) so this is good news for me...

But to not take advantage of liquidation prices because they're a big bad evil corporation is foolish in my opinion... They're on their way out and won't be back.... The local stores are going to get increased business... Target still loses here...

Why not save a couple bucks through their failure?

I never found anything of any interest the one and only time I was in a Target store. However I agree with you 100% Mike. To me it's the same as going to a yard sale in the summer. Nothing wrong in my eyes with making your hard earned dollar go as far as possible.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Big Cliff, I said I try to avoid them after I have already given or in your words reached my budget limit. I know they all do great work and have volunteered my time for a few of the charities. It's that I feel guilty that I can't give more. I think you misunderstood my comment. My peeve is you can't go into any store or a checkout these days without some (good cause) raising money and makes me feel guilty saying " sorry I've already given".

Big Cliff, I said I try to avoid them after I have already given or in your words reached my budget limit. I know they all do great work and have volunteered my time for a few of the charities. It's that I feel guilty that I can't give more. I think you misunderstood my comment. My peeve is you can't go into any store or a checkout these days without some (good cause) raising money and makes me feel guilty saying " sorry I've already given".

My friend, once you have given what you can afford there is absolutly no reason to feel guilty, in fact that is when you should feel proud that you have done your part!

Let's stick to facts shall we?

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/target-insists-controversial-poppy-policy-was-a-misunderstanding-1.1469110

“We agreed that outside the front doors would be ideal and obviously if the weather is inclement or they prefer they are welcome to stand inside the double doors as well,” said company spokesperson Lisa Gibson in a statement.

They did not kick veterans out of their stores, they simply said people selling poppies can stand outside the front doors to sell poppies and they could setup shop inside during bad weather. That is 100% acceptable and 100% fair. How on earth can you criticize Target for making their free choice when the poppy is a universal symbol of freedom? Wars were fought to allow us the opportunity to make our own free choices, yet some believe Target should have been forced to let people sell poppies inside their stores? Let's force someone to promote freedom?

Personally, I despise being harassed by anyone standing at the front of the store looking for handouts or to sell me something.

I'm a Legion member and have volunteered selling Poppies.

Something in your story say's someone got in-barest.

Getting back to the original topic of the liquidation sale, my wife just called me from the Guelph store and says that the "liquidation" prices are a measly 10% off. One of the people working there also told her that they hadn't received a lot of the merchandise that they were expecting for the sale - a common occurrence before they went out of business was poorly stocked shelves, looks like nothing ha changed.

Cinched up my black belt in shopping and headed to the Orillia Target, arriving about 1/2 hour after opening (just in case there were lineups). In one door with an empty cart and out the other with the same, spent maybe 10-15 minutes MAX strolling through without running into ANY "traffic" jams.

Big banner sign hanging up saying 30% off with "some" exclusions- here's what I saw

Food, electronics & paper was 10% off

Clothes, housewares & dvd's 20% off

Cosmetics 30% off (saw that from the food section - no wisecracks thanks!).

In short, most (vast majority) items were a mere 10-20% off and to me that wasn't that big of a deal, if anything that just brought prices down to where I expect them to be.

I just didn't see anything that made me want to buy. Parking lot was full for the first time I'd ever seen, store was about as busy as a Walmart on Tuesdays. Most people were, like me, pushing empty or near empty carts. Almost every cash register was open with maybe 1 or 2 customers in line at most.

All the staff were very friendly from what I observed, even the tiny little (teen?) lady wearing a safety vest saying she was "Security) at the exit door. Hope she didn't get blown away in the draft caused by all those leaving empty handed like myself.

I'd have to say that was the busiest I'd ever seen that store, and yet there really wasn't that much merchandise actually being moved compared to the number of people shopping. I wonder how long it'll be before they increase the discounts, hope it doesn't take them 2 years to figure that one out as well!

Michael

30% just brings the prices inline with everywhere else. Sweeten the pot or pack up your crap and head for the border target.

I have a feeling they will do the former the closer we get to D-Day.

I had to run to the bank today and Target is right beside it at the mall. Took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot :wallbash:

After the bank, I decided to just go and see what the "liquidation" prices were and went to the electronics section. Nothing over 10%. I could buy the same items at Costco today for near half the price they were "on sale" for. Don't waste your time.

Line ups were about 25 carts deep :rolleyes: