Minivan feedback please

mike rousseau

Hello

So the wife and I are just starting to shop around for a new or slightly used van for the family... The G6 isn't cutting it anymore...

In no way do I wanna start and brand battle on here with negative arguing between everyone... That won't help me at all...

I'm looking for your feedback about the van or vans you have owned and what you liked or didn't like in your opinion...

I have no preference of brand... All brands have issues in their line up somewhere...

So please... Good or bad I like to hear about your personal experience and opinions on your vans...

Thanks a lot for the help...

Mike

When it comes to mini vans tough to beat the quality of toyota or honda but you pay for it.

That being said.the chrysler vans are inexpensive but you n ciyld buy a new canada value package for $22k with a 3.6v6 and the difference in money buys lots of repairs .

Gonna have to drive em though everyone is a.little different

When it comes to mini vans tough to beat the quality of toyota or honda but you pay for it.

Never owned one but have driven the Honda vans a few times and must admit, their pretty darned nice.

My daughter is on her 3rd Honda Civic and it's a very solid and well built car and I'd guess the van would be as good.

Like you said, everyone of the manufacturers have issues with their vehicles; some big, some with annoying repeat visits to the dealer for upgrades or reprogramming. What I've been telling my customers is, road test as many as you can; once you've narrowed it down to a couple of maybes; research the crap out of them. If you've found issues with the vehicle you've researched, go talk to the service manager of that vehicle's dealership and ask if that issue has been resolved. Don't ask the salesperson; they're there to tell you what you want to hear.

Warranties and what they cover, would be the first thing I'd check into; today's vehicles are rolling computers and we all know about the strange things computers can do without warning.

Maybe think of a 3 or 5 year (Dependent on warranty length) lease; then flip it back for another new vehicle at the end of the lease period? Yes you'll pay a bit more but you'll never be paying for repairs; like you would owning, once out of warranty.

Dan.

Hello

So the wife and I are just starting to shop around for a new or slightly used van for the family... The G6 isn't cutting it anymore...

In no way do I wanna start and brand battle on here with negative arguing between everyone... That won't help me at all...

I'm looking for your feedback about the van or vans you have owned and what you liked or didn't like in your opinion...

I have no preference of brand... All brands have issues in their line up somewhere...

So please... Good or bad I like to hear about your personal experience and opinions on your vans...

Thanks a lot for the help...

Mike

There are forums for just about every vehicle out there Mike as well as Edmunds, Consumer Report(theres a fee to join) and kelley blue book that point out year to year and generational model issues, recalls,TSB's, fixes and so on and so forth. Theres a www. of info out there to help refine and/or further confuse you.

One thing to remember is that with changes in plant relocation and off shore manufacturing of parts, especially after 2009, newer vehicle quality has in most cases become suspect across the brand market so you might want to consider an extended warranty no matter your choice. Good luck in your search.

Edited by moxie

I have had 2 Caravans since 1998. Got 330K out of the first one and presently have 246K on my 2006 model. I did the regular maintenance and have had no engine or trany problems. There have been other repairs but where reasonable considering the kms. Am looking at buy another Caravan before they are discontinued after 2016.

The Honda and Toyota vans are good if you have the extra $10,000.

Check out this site for more info: carcomplaints.com

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone...

Like I said im just beginning my research/shopping... Figured I'd chat a bit here...

Money is an big factor... Dodge caravan looks good with a brand new "canada value package" going for $20,000 or $244 a month...

But also considering some of the more expensive vans with less then 50,000km on them to get back down in cost...

Hi Mike, I had a Ford Windstar that we bought used, it was loaded and the darn thing would just not die. It was the top of the line loaded and we took that thing on many family trips and at first it was my wife's daily vehicle and then it became mine as much as I did not like the thought of driving a mini van I drove it till it did not make any sense to even fix the brakes.

When I finished my basement the things that we put into that thing to haul back and forth was crazy, the space was really nice to have when we need it.

FLEX

We have a Sienna and love it. We have several family members who drive the Caravans who have driven the Sienna and tell us they love the way it drives/handles. It's the only van I've ever owned. I've been nothing but happy with it, but it definitely is pricier than other options.

I had a 2001 Toyota sienna and loved it. My sister has it now pushing 400k and it's never had any major problems. I have a 2009 now with 200k and again no problem other than reg maintance of tires, oil and breaks. Both vehicles were bought 3year old American off lease. I found that to be the best value around. I've driven the new Chrysler and it's very nice but I'd worry about the money id put into it down the road. Hondas a great but top price in the class range. My next vs will be another Sienna

I have 6 kids Mike.

We had a 2008 caravan and added a bench seat. Good vehicle, fit us all. No complaints really but we bought it used and the under rusted badly fast.

We replaced that with a 2008 Montana. Again nice vehicle. only fit 7 though so that sucked. Used it for abit with no issues.

Then we bought a 2011 chevy traverse and it is awesome! not a mini van but worth checking out. gets good mileage, all wheel drive, tow package, and it fits all of us.

Believe it or not it has more room then a mini van. fully loaded with 8 of us in we can still load in my sons hockey gear and get a few groceries

got a 2005 uplander, great van, its got over 200,000km on it. it fits 3 hockey bags, sticks and goal pads with room to spare. It's the ext. version and has the sport suspension(air compressor/shocks) that give 1500lbs extra tow capacity.

Towed a 2900lbs hybrid trailer for several summers, I have replaced a few wheel bearings the brakes and a muffler.

I'd never go back to a car even after the kids are gone lol

I have 6 kids Mike.

We had a 2008 caravan and added a bench seat. Good vehicle, fit us all. No complaints really but we bought it used and the under rusted badly fast.

We replaced that with a 2008 Montana. Again nice vehicle. only fit 7 though so that sucked. Used it for abit with no issues.

Then we bought a 2011 chevy traverse and it is awesome! not a mini van but worth checking out. gets good mileage, all wheel drive, tow package, and it fits all of us.

Believe it or not it has more room then a mini van. fully loaded with 8 of us in we can still load in my sons hockey gear and get a few groceries

That traverse looks like a van without the sliding doors... Another option...

I guess it'll help if u mention we have 2 kids (definitely no more in the future) and no pets (definitely none in thd future cause my son is allergic)

Also I have a truck so "stow and go" and space for a load if lumber will not sway my descision...

That being said we will consider an SUV...

We aren't gunna rush and we are gunna explore many options...

Hi Mike, I had a Ford Windstar that we bought used, it was loaded and the darn thing would just not die. It was the top of the line loaded and we took that thing on many family trips and at first it was my wife's daily vehicle and then it became mine as much as I did not like the thought of driving a mini van I drove it till it did not make any sense to even fix the brakes.

When I finished my basement the things that we put into that thing to haul back and forth was crazy, the space was really nice to have when we need it.

FLEX

The Windstar was a great vehicle, but the Freestar, that followed was a typical Ford lemon. After 2 years of the Freestar, Ford got out of the minivan market.

I've driven the Caravan, It's nice. A little under powered, but they seem to last.

That traverse looks like a van without the sliding doors... Another option...

I guess it'll help if u mention we have 2 kids (definitely no more in the future) and no pets (definitely none in thd future cause my son is allergic)

Also I have a truck so "stow and go" and space for a load if lumber will not sway my descision...

That being said we will consider an SUV...

We aren't gunna rush and we are gunna explore many options...

If you look at the traverse in person it looks smaller then a van. It most definitely isnt lol.

also its a 6 speed transmission,3.6l v6, 281hp

Went through a similar process last spring. It was time to let the Jimmy go! My wife was quite adamant, no mini van for us! That restricted our search substantially which led us to the Ford Flex. Bought it used (they are very hard to find!) and have had it since the spring.

I get about 500km per tank, it rides like a Town Car and has virtually every bell and whistle you can ask for!

Seats seven comfortably, every seat folds down, except the drivers seat and will hold a nine foot ladder easily. With full leather upholstery, you feel like your sitting on a fine leather couch as you head on down the road.

Any questions, hit me up!

HH

Went through a similar process last spring. It was time to let the Jimmy go! My wife was quite adamant, no mini van for us! That restricted our search substantially which led us to the Ford Flex. Bought it used (they are very hard to find!) and have had it since the spring.

I get about 500km per tank, it rides like a Town Car and has virtually every bell and whistle you can ask for!

Seats seven comfortably, every seat folds down, except the drivers seat and will hold a nine foot ladder easily. With full leather upholstery, you feel like your sitting on a fine leather couch as you head on down the road.

Any questions, hit me up!

HH

That is one ugly vehicle... Lol

Luckily we are more about comfort and fiction then looks...

Thanks for the suggestion

It's funny, because some folks love the look and other, not so much! LOL

I'd suggest, if you can, take one out for a drive... I bet you'll change your mind!

HH

PS... I know you're a big guy. I'm 6'3 and about 235 and I have nothing but room not only in the drivers seat, but the second row as well. Can't say I've sat in the third row, but the kids love it back there! Tons of head space that I found lacking in other vehicles.