Anyone switched from 2 to 4 stroke?

Rembrandt100

I have a buddy with an Etec, they use hardly any oil. That said, I bought my 2 stroke based around my duck hunting. Most guys I've talked to with the 4 stroke version of my motor cannot maintain the same top speed with a heavy load in the boat. Why I don't know! Next time I repower though, it will likely be 4 stroke!

I still have a 2 smoke, but love it. I've driven a very similar boat, with a same sized 4 stroke outboard, and its night and day. The 4 stroke is nice, but ya can't beat 2 stroke power......They both have their pros and cons.

That said, my next engine will be the 4 stroke.

I also duck hunt tons, and with a load aboard the boat, you can't beat the 2 strokes. The 4 strokes are dogs out of the hole. My boat with a 40 2 stroke will blow away my buds with a 40 4 stroke out of the hole, and on plane, by miles. He has a 16ft lund, I have a 16ft starcraft....my boat is a little deeper and wider than his too.

S.

Been running an early version 175HP E-tec called a Ficht since 2001. It's better on fuel than the 130 Honda it replaced by a substantial margin.
Regular 2 strokes mix the oil and fuel and air in the engines crankcase. It gets there when a vacuum is created on the pistons upward movement through the carburetor. When the piston is moving downward it compresses the fuel/oil/air mix and pushes it up a chamber outside the cylinder wall that leads to a port on the cylinder where it then enters the combustion chamber above the piston. This action also pushes the spent/burned fuel and air out the exhaust port on the other side of the cylinder wall.

On a direct injected 2 stroke like the E-Tec, the fuel (gasoline) is injected directly into the cylinder above the piston using specially designed injectors. The air still enters the way it did before.
This allows oil to be injected below the piston to lubricate the moving parts. Because the fuel isn't washing the oil out of the crankcase it stays in there for a long period. Only the air flow itself carries the oil along sparingly.

(*NOTE* This is also why it's important to properly fog a 2 stroke rather than just shoot oil into the spark plug hole when going into storage.)

Probably use around 8 to 10 liters of oil through each season. A four stroke I'd have to change the oil halfway through season.

I have found the engine to have been very good over the years. Never has failed to bring me back and has always started very well. It gets run close to everyday in open water season because I commuted to work each day.
It's an early model so it is a noisy thing in comparison to today's engines. But I'd still consider getting another one to replace it when the time comes.

Edited by Bernie

I have pretty much the same boat as the original poster .... a 16' Sylvan Super Snapper. I have a 40HP Honda 4 stroke tiller on the back. It is super quiet, very smooth and easy on gas. I can get about 28 MPH by myself in smooth water .... about 22-24 with three guys and gear. That is WOT. I generally run around 15-18 mph which feels like a nice cruising speed.

My set up is from the mid to late 90s .... I'd imagine the newer fuel injected 4 strokes are even nicer.

I'll never buy a 2 stroke again!!!!!!!!!!!

Except for the pontoon boat I bought yesterday that has a 90 etec on the back =)

I run a 115 etec, amazing motor. Sips the gas, although you can't run anything but 91 oct in it. Hardly burns any oil and is super quiet. Maintenance free for the first 3 years and it fogs itself. These thing purr like a kitten and are super clean. The hole shot is amazing. I tallied it up and I figure I've saved over 1000$ in maintenance already. My first servicing on the etec only cost me $80.

I have heard yammys have fuel system issues, my bud owns one and has had it in the shop a few times.

All this and I only paid $8900 out of the box. Couldn't be happier.

Edited by muskymatt

In 2007 when I bought my boat, had a choice. 115 hp Merc, E-tec, or Yammy.

Merc had just started making their power heads.

(Formerly used a Yammy head). E-tec was fairly new but on paper made the most sense with performance and minimal maintenance required. I am always nervous about new products. Usually bugs to fix for the first few years.

I went with Yammy and paid $1K extra. 7 yrs later and about 1000 hrs. So far fo good. Maybe an E-tec would have been the way to go ?

In 2007 when I bought my boat, had a choice. 115 hp Merc, E-tec, or Yammy.

Merc had just started making their power heads.

(Formerly used a Yammy head). E-tec was fairly new but on paper made the most sense with performance and minimal maintenance required. I am always nervous about new products. Usually bugs to fix for the first few years.

I went with Yammy and paid $1K extra. 7 yrs later and about 1000 hrs. So far fo good. Maybe an E-tec would have been the way to go

That Yammy is also a good motor and 7 years of service proves that.

The point is there is another choice over a 4 stroker that should also be taken seriously.

the fuel issue with yammys (at least my 2010 40 4-str) was with the high pressure pump. mine was covered out of warranty under a tsb (why they don't call it a recall i dont understand). regardless, a free fix is not much good to you if you're on a week vacation and your motor starts having issues. a bit of a black eye imo and things can go wrong but overall i am very happy with the motor.

Maybe I'm lucky but I have zero issues with emission opacity with my 115HP Mariner that will be 20 years old. The only time I see anything is the first start up in the spring. It is very quiet as well. I am happy with fuel consumption, well as happy as one can be pushing a boat around in the water. Plugs once a year and that's about it. Hi test every other tank full. I can easily carry on a conversation at top speed. It is just as quiet as buddy's 90 4 stroke Yamaha.