Anyone switched from 2 to 4 stroke?

Rembrandt100

I own a 16 ft 2 in Sylvan Backtroller that has a 40hp Johnson on the back of it. I bought it about 12 years ago and it was originally built in 87. The motor has been taken care of and it will troll all day long with no trouble. The problem is with the age of the motor. In the spring of 2013 the push button on the starter would not work and I tried everywhere to find a new one with no luck. Johnson does not have a replacement and it seems no one else does either. I am thinking that some other parts will not be available sooner than later. The other thing that always bothered me was that this motor does not have a charging system to refill the battries. It used to bother me that some times I had to charge the battries before I could take it out. The last trip there was not a good one that ended with someone hitting my truck in a parking lot and leaving. I was not a happy camper and I took it out on the boat. I brought it home and parked it, covered it, but did not change the oil in the lower end.

I am considering getting a 4 stroke Merc in the spring. Some one mentioned that the the 4 stroke is not as strong as a 2 stroke. What they said was it would take 50 hp 4 stroke to equal the 40 hp 2 stroke. My concern is not the speed but the how the boat will handle.

So has anyone switched a motor like that? Sorry about the long rant but I think I am just trying to justify spending the money in my own head.

Dave

I didn't have a 2 stroke but my boat is an old 16' Lund and a 40hp 4 stroke max speed was 30mph by myself...

If I had me and 2 other big boys in the boat... Cooler... Live well full of fish... Etc... The 40 had a hard time planing out..

I have a 50hp 4 stroke now and there is a big difference... By myself max is 35mph... And never have any issues planing out....

Welcome to the board Rembrandt.

I own a 14' Lund that originally came with a 30 hp Suzuki 2 stroke, pull start. That motor was crazy fast at 30 mph with just me in the boat. I decided to go with a 20hp Yammy 4 stroke electric start last June. It's 10 hp less but only decreased my top speed to 23 mph. I'm very satisfied with the Yammy. Brand new, 3 year warranty & best of all I'm not pulling a cord on a cool fall morning.

Most say that a 2 stroke has more bottom end, and gives you a better hole shot, but the top end should be about the same. Last year when I wanted a new motor, I ended up searching high and low for a new old stock yamaha 2 stroke. If it weren't for duck hunting season and having to haul hundreds of extra pounds in the boat , I would've gone with the 4 for sure. If my boat was in excellent shape, and I had the cash then I would for sure upgrade from an 80's motor. The reliability factor was the major reason I sold my old outboard and bought new. I didn't want my 20 odd year old motor deciding to pack it in on me in cold November weather far from the launch. It was still reliable, but you never know! One thing to keep in mind is that this is the perfect time of year to try and scoop a deal on old stock boat/motor packages, but if you love your boat, may as well keep it!

Went from 25 hp 2 stroke 2003 25 hp Johnson to 30 hp 2 stroke 2014 Evenrude Etec with 6 years warranty. What an awesome motor - it is quitter than 4 stroke and taking less fuel as my body's 30 hp 2012 4 stroke Merc.

I would definitely recommend to check it out. Top speed is 25 mph for my 14,5 feet Alumacraft with 3 batteries, terrova and fishing staff. Fully loaded for camping trip with my wife it's 23 mph.

Also I got it from Big Bay Marina in Hamilton - best price I could find and unbelievable service.

When I had my 16' starcraft it originally had a 40 Suzuki 2 stroke on it. The oil injection went south on it and I didn't want to have too start mixing gas, so I bought a new (2004) 40 Honda 4 stroke. I didn't see any reduction in power, if anything (because of the power trim) I gained a couple mph top end. The hole shot was maybe a little less; because a 4 stroke cannot pick up its rpm as fast as a 2 stroke. The Honda used maybe a 3rd less fuel and no more head shaking, smoke belching 2 stroke noise.

Not sure how true this is; but the salesman at Honda told me that the older motor's horsepower were rated at the crankshaft of the engine. New(er) motors the Horsepower is rated at the prop; after the hp loss of going through the gearing. So the engine hp might actually be something like 45?

After using the Honda there's no way I would go back to a 2 stroke. Sooner or later we'll likely follow California where 2 strokes are no longer sold new.

Dan.

I have a 50 HP Honda tiller and if I had a choice I'd change it out for a 50HP Merc (Tohatsu) 4 stroke, Way quieter.

Haven't sat beside a Yamy to compare but I'm sure they are quieter, I may even consider a Yamy as my next motor.

You have to let a 4 stroke warm up a little longer than a 2, They are a little gutless on bottom end but make up in not having to buy oil for mix and to suffer the fumes.

I'd jump up 10 HP on a 4 stroke if your running a 2 stroke. Just my opinion.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Frankly, I could care less about hole shot and a few extra MPH. If I can get on plane relatively easily with 4 in the boat and cruise at 25 to 30mph that suits me fine. My 90 Merc 4 stroke is quiet, great on gas, will troll down to 2mph and tops out at 41mph on the GPS with 2 in the boat (not small people).

Works for me.

I have a Evinrude E-TEC and it's a HUGE improvement over my older 2 stroke even though it's still a 2 stroke engine.

The new E-TEC are beating out the 4 strokes in power, quietness, economy and MAINTENANCE.....and not to mention initial coast.

When I was going to up grade I thought I would only get a new 4 stroke until I did the research. Saved over 1k and got a 5 year warranty plus no maintenance whatsoever for the first 3 years. They are also the CLEANEST outboard engines in the industry. So much better for the environment.

VERY HAPPY I went E-TEC

When I had my 16' starcraft it originally had a 40 Suzuki 2 stroke on it. The oil injection went south on it and I didn't want to have too start mixing gas, so I bought a new (2004) 40 Honda 4 stroke. I didn't see any reduction in power, if anything (because of the power trim) I gained a couple mph top end. The hole shot was maybe a little less; because a 4 stroke cannot pick up its rpm as fast as a 2 stroke. The Honda used maybe a 3rd less fuel and no more head shaking, smoke belching 2 stroke noise.

Not sure how true this is; but the salesman at Honda told me that the older motor's horsepower were rated at the crankshaft of the engine. New(er) motors the Horsepower is rated at the prop; after the hp loss of going through the gearing. So the engine hp might actually be something like 45?

After using the Honda there's no way I would go back to a 2 stroke. Sooner or later we'll likely follow California where 2 strokes are no longer sold new.

Dan.

Actually not true when it comes to a 2 stroke E-TEC..........see below.

CLEAN & QUIET

Evinrude® E-TEC® is about creating memories, not pollution. Fact is, we’re unbeatable on clean and quiet performance, even against four-strokes. We’ve passed them all. And they never heard us coming.

Lower emissions Three stars from the toughest emission standard in the world – the California Air Resources Board. Plus, we’re the only outboard to win the EPA Clean Air Excellence Award. No other brand of outboards produces fewer reportable emissions than the Evinrude E-TEC family of engines. In-tune with the environment No oil changes. No worries about disposal or where the oil ends up. Plus every drop of oil in the fuel mix goes into combustion, not the air or water. You’re saving money and the environment. No smoke Thanks to the advanced fuel and oil injection systems. You’ll breathe a lot easier when you’re out cruising a shoreline or trolling a weedline. Less vibration Stratified combustion for incredibly smooth low-end performance. An engine that’s born to troll. Less noise Comparable to the quietest four-strokes, thanks to our acoustically tuned intake and exhaust and 3-dimensional foam lining. Makes for easier conversation and extra stealth when you’re tossing baits.

Dan.

Yes, that is true about the change from from crank shaft to prop shaft rating for horsepower. I think that happened sometimes in the late eighties. My brother had a 60hp 2 cylinder Johnson that he bought in the mid eighties. His model became the 50hp after the switch; and the new prop rated 60hp was a 3 cylinder.

As far as banning 2 strokes. I don't think that traditional two strokes are sold anymore. Direct injection 2 strokes (E-Tec & Optimax) are still sold; but they are supposedly just as clean burning as four strokes.

I have a Evinrude E-TEC and it's a HUGE improvement over my older 2 stroke even though it's still a 2 stroke engine.

The new E-TEC are beating out the 4 strokes in power, quietness, economy and MAINTENANCE.....and not to mention initial coast.

When I was going to up grade I thought I would only get a new 4 stroke until I did the research. Saved over 1k and got a 5 year warranty plus no maintenance whatsoever for the first 3 years. They are also the CLEANEST outboard engines in the industry. So much better for the environment.

VERY HAPPY I went E-TEC

Yep but you are still burning gallons of oil.....$$. Have you factored that into the equation?

If you can find a deal on a used 4 stroke it could be worth your while, otherwise you could upgrade to a newer used boat with a 4 stroke hanging off the back. Repowering is expensive and you have to weigh it out as to whether it is worth it or not. As for parts, there are a couple of boneyards out there for boats. Might be worth checking out. There is one place in Honey Harbour, he has tons of bits and pieces. The name escapes me though.

Yep but you are still burning gallons of oil.....$$. Have you factored that into the equation?

You still go through oil with a four stroke. You are just changing it instead of burning it.

Most people change the oil at least once a year in a four stroke. That could end up being just as expensive as two stroke oil if you have low mileage on your boat.

You still go through oil with a four stroke. You are just changing it instead of burning it.

Most people change the oil at least once a year in a four stroke. That could end up being just as expensive as two stroke oil if you have low mileage on your boat.

Fully agreed.

I used 2 l of amsoil since I got my motor. was fishing almost every weekend from May to October with 4 camping 4 days trips.

Yes but less, much less then 1 gallon a year and it beats changing the oil. Not to mention brand new 4 strokers demand other maintenance on them from the dealer.

Also the OP was concerned about a good charging system if I remember correctly. Well the E-TEC has the best in the industry for keeping that main batter charged. It boast 81 amps of total output / 25 amps Net Dedicated compared to only 17 amps from most 4 strokers.

Edited by Mister G

Going with a 4 stroke is pretty much a no brainer, as for Etec, you see any other modes of transportation sporting 2 jokes. Even a number of the modern snowmobiles are going that route.

I wouldn't go as far as calling folks who choose a 4 stroke as having no brains....LOL.....:)

I change mine twice a year and 5W30 Quackerstate is cheap, allot cheaper than good 2 stroke oil.

Marina told me change the filter every secound change.

I went form a '91 Merc 90hp 2 stroke to a 2013 Merc 115hp 4 stroke in the spring of '13.

The heavier 4 stroke on my boat required me relocating my TM batteries forward to help weight distribution but was not a big deal.

I would do it again in a heartbeat the new 4 stroke is a beautiful engine.

I upsized so I could make sure I had the same kind of performance as I had with the 2 stroke.

It worked well and actually gets up on plane even faster than the old engine did. I thought that would be impossible as it got on plane in a boat length with the old motor. Now it's almost instant. :good: :good:

Your prop choice has more to do with hole shot and top end than the type of motor IMHO.

I went to a Merc 4 blade aluminium prop and it really helped with my hole shot over a 3 blade aluminum. I didn't lose any top end by going to it either which is a bonus. :D

If I were you I would go with the 50hp if you are upgrading just to be safe. ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016